Firefox Hello Video Calling

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
labbe5

Firefox Hello Video Calling

#1 Post by labbe5 »

http://geekbeat.tv/review-firefox-hello-video-calling/

Above is a link to a review of Hello.

Skype is not needed anymore. Just download and install the latest version of Firefox, and your will be ready in no time video calling anybody having Firefox, Chrome or Opera, which all have WebRTC support.

The review will expand on the explaination.

rufwoof

#2 Post by rufwoof »

Skype charges me 3.1p connection fee and 1.8p/min to call UK landlines from my (UK) Skype account (the exact same as for me calling relatives in the US and Ireland) .... how much is Firefox 'Hello' service charging?

Just being pedantic :)

So happens its A LOT cheaper to use Skype than it is to use the house phone (Virgin Media bundle the phone (and basic TV) with their 50Mb internet service provision). Keep thinking about getting one of those skype phones you plug into the ethernet so that you don't need the PC to be booted up in order to make/receive calls - but haven't yet got around to actually buying one yet.

ally

#3 Post by ally »

that's neat, not a lover of firefox but this is very useful, just downloaded firefox on tahrpup 6.0.2 using quickpet, updated it to 36 and it's ready to go

:)

Geoffrey

#4 Post by Geoffrey »

Firefox crash's when I try to use Hello and from what I've read there is no text chat or file transfer, it don't make phone calls, so it's not really a replacement for Skype.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Skype charges me 3.1p connection fee and 1.8p/min to call UK landlines from my (UK) Skype
noticed you can use its credit for wifi too...only thing is the impossible to run now software ..shame its being used as a tool to sell hardware I rather liked it when it worked for us.

By the way three pay as you go are doing 3p a min no connection ...handy deal... and give my the best phone rate to a mobile in ireland by a large margin. (land lines are free from ours at weekends...but mobiles are not and way pricey)

I also assumed part of the skype deal was its phone calling ability...otherwise voice and vision chat could be had via many networks for years...yahoo/jabber/msn and so on.

Other sype like option is voip/linphone type stuff... just not commonly used unfortunately... but no locking into software .

mike

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

rufwoof wrote:Keep thinking about getting one of those skype phones you plug into the ethernet so that you don't need the PC to be booted up in order to make/receive calls - but haven't yet got around to actually buying one yet.
I bought and fitted a small Linksys box that connects to my router [modem and router need to be powered and booted].
I then plug in [to the box/adapter] an ordinary landline type phone [or my DECT wireless phone].
If I remember right, I had to take out an account with some web phone service [cannot remember the details now].
I haven't yet bothered to pay any money toward the account so that phone is only able to ACCEPT calls [these are FREE calls received = cost NOTHING].
If I pay money to the account I could make low-cost calls to landline phones and mobile phones [local or worldwide].
I was able to choose which area code to use...
i.e. If I chose a London area code, people residing in London could make calls to that number at local rates.
I remember a guy in Canada saying he had relatives in Glasgow, Scotland, so he chose a Glasgow code so his Glasgow relatives could make calls to him in Canada at local Glasgow rates.

That phone sits there almost never used.
It NEVER gets any nuisance/marketing calls.
My wife was the only person who ever used it, so when it rang I knew it was her calling.
Everyone else uses our "normal" phone [the answering machine blocks the marketing calls].
We need to be more adventurous.