How to connect to the Internet using mobile phone as modem

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
ferro10n

How to connect to the Internet using mobile phone as modem

#1 Post by ferro10n »

ENGLISH: The following is a tutorial for connecting to the Internet in Puppy by using a mobile phone as a GPRS modem. ESPAÑOL: Lo siguiente es un tutorial para conectarse a Internet usando un celular como módem GPRS. PORTUGUÊS: O seguinte é um tutorial para se conectar a Internet usando um telefone celular como modem GPRS.

Download tutorial in English (PDF)

Descargar tutorial en español (PDF)

Transferir tutorial em português (PDF)
Attachments
browsing-the-web.jpg
(144.12 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
conected-to-internet.png
(7.4 KiB) Downloaded 1670 times
image-4.png
Internet by wireless GPRS modem
(29.64 KiB) Downloaded 1860 times
image-3.png
Click PROBE
(65.04 KiB) Downloaded 1847 times
image-2.png
Internet by dialup analog or wireless modem
(76.63 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times
image-1.png
Internet Connection Wizard
(21.01 KiB) Downloaded 1877 times
Last edited by ferro10n on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 04:53, edited 4 times in total.
A beginner Puppy Linux user
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.13GHz 512MB
LiveCD user

rameshiyer

Mobile Phone as Modem

#2 Post by rameshiyer »

I have installed GPRS Easy connect. However, I have not able to connect my Nokia C5 Mobile phone. Also device was not listed. Kindly help me.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

forget my post you are in the right thread already
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ferro10n

Re: Mobile Phone as Modem

#4 Post by ferro10n »

rameshiyer wrote:I have installed GPRS Easy connect. However, I have not able to connect my Nokia C5 Mobile phone. Also device was not listed. Kindly help me.
Hi! What version of Puppy d'you have? If it's 4.31 and older it may need some dependencies (have just checked that in the official site--see 'Requirements' in the 1st post). Did you make sure your phone is set to 'data mode' (Internet mode) instead of 'storage mode' (flash card mode)? You may also want to check your USB cable in case it's damaged.

Please note: Nokia C5 was released in 2010, and the GPRS Easy Connect project was stopped in 2009 so, as I said before, it may not work for phones released after 2009 or phones and/or providers not supported by the software. Please read the full post at the top and make sure you've followed the steps correctly. If you're still unable to connect, it means either your phone or your provider is not supported.

Remeber I'm a complete beginner, I have little or no technical knowledge about either Puppy Linux or mobile phones, but I'll keep providing information as I find it.
LiveCD user

ferro10n

#5 Post by ferro10n »

Nokia phones

When you plug your Nokia (TM) phone by USB cable, the mobile phone asks what mode you want to set it to, choose Nokia mode, otherwise Puppy won't detect it as a modem.

By the way, I've managed to get a Nokia phone to test, it was also detected at port ttyACM0 (A C M zero) and worked just as fine as my phone, but I don't know which model is it, I'll post it as soon as I find out the model.

Make sure that your mobile phone has the Internet settings for your service provider

If you can't browse the Internet from your phone, either by the built-in browser or by applications such as eBuddy and Opera Mini, then you may have to call your service provider to have them send the Internet settings to your phone. You can also search the settings and set up the Internet in your phone by yourself, if you know where to access in your phone to introduce the settings.
LiveCD user