Will USB Puppy 5.2 boot in a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
ddpicard

Will USB Puppy 5.2 boot in a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086?

#1 Post by ddpicard »

I was wondering if anyone has this laptop and if you do how compatible is its hardware with Puppy 5.2 or Linux in general? I've googled around and have not seen to many comments on this particular model of Toshiba.

I have tried Puppy 5.2 on a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5140 and it works perfectly.

ddpicard

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

A quick and dirty way to find out is to use a CD or DVD that you make from within the working Puppyu on the other machine and then test the puppy on the machine you ask about.

Another way is to use google and see what kind of problem with other linux there is if there is drivers that is hard to find or some other reported issue with ethernet cards or something and then search our forum and see if similar issues are reported here and that would indicate if you need to be concerned about it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ddpicard

#3 Post by ddpicard »

Thanks nooby. I have a usb that i'm going to take with me to Best Buy to see if they will let me boot it. We will see. If not I'll just get the C655-S5140. The only difference in specs is the LED Backlight screen.

Thanks,
ddpicard

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Let us know if the guys at Best Buy let you boot Puppy in their display computer. :lol:

I think I'd just do it without asking first. As long as you don't bork Windows, they won't have anything to gripe about. Especially if you buy the computer as a result.

harii4

#5 Post by harii4 »

always wanted to try that at best buy.
just got an toshiba nb505 mini notebook out of blind faith that fluppy will work.

plan to try in two weeks

ddpicard

#6 Post by ddpicard »

I'll let y'all know how it goes. I figure if I ask they will make up some dumb excuse why I can't. :) we will see though.

I don't know if I want it after all. From what I've read on a bunch of reviews, the battery life is not to great for that large of a battery. It may not be worth the extra weight if it doesn't get me any more hours of battery life.

harii4

#7 Post by harii4 »

most of the (mini) notebooks get around 8 hours with their battery life.
no more going to wifi hot spots that have plug-ins. :D

Artie

#8 Post by Artie »

Running Lucid Puppy 5.2 on an old Toshiba Satellite SA60-302 PSA60E-00J02ENO screen resolution only 1024x768 no more in Windows either. Booting from disc holding in the c button while pressing the power button works. Wired LAN works. Sound doesn't work automatically run Alsa sound wizard. Can't get reboot to work might be doing something wrong I just power-off and start manually again.

Also running on a Compaq Evo N610c everything works fine.

Artie

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Artie, have you tried Wary Puppy? I believe it was developed for older computers.

Artie

#10 Post by Artie »

Hi Flash,

I tried some waries and quirkies quite a while back but I wasn't happy with any of them and all the different versions and derivatives got me so confused I went back to xp. Lately I've been buying some very! cheap old laptops from some auction sites to play with and Just thought I would try Puppy again since there was an official new puppy and been very happy with 5.2 so far. Might possibly play a bit with the excellent Lighthouse though. Keep up the good work! :)

Artie

ddpicard

#11 Post by ddpicard »

Ok, went to Best Buy today. The guy working in the computer area had no issue with me booting with a usb stick. The A665-S6086 would not boot puppy from the usb. I tried it on a couple others one Toshiba and another a Dell and had not trouble at all.

So that decides it for me. I will be buying the C655-S5140 hopefully this weekend.

ddpicard