Puppy Mage won't print. I added CUPS, but no go.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
davec51

Puppy Mage won't print. I added CUPS, but no go.

#1 Post by davec51 »

I just did a frugal install of Puppy-Mage. I added my printer from my wired network and printed a test page successfully. However, No printing takes place from my computer -- not with Abiword, LibreOffice, or Firefox. Am I missing something in the setup?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Wait, what? So this is a wireless printer? What make and model?

Would this thread be any use?
Last edited by Flash on Tue 21 Aug 2012, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

davec51

Can't Print

#3 Post by davec51 »

Thanks for replying.
I have a wired network. A Windows XP computer is the server. The printer is a Brother all-in-one, MFC 5895cw model. As I said, I have had no trouble printing with other Linux OS's, including numerous Puppies.

scsijon

#4 Post by scsijon »

Hi, just come across this thread.

Firstly, which version of Mage and what is the printer type and model please?

It should work as if it can send a test page the problem is not cups, can you try the following please.

-open cups and check the printer name, print driver, Paper size, etc. is correct and matches the actual printer, Leave Cups up at the 'Manage Jobs' tab so you can see if anything arrives or gets stuck!

-open Geany and type a couple of lines
-in geany goto File>Print and check the printer is there under the general tab, then goto the second 'Page Setup' tab and check it's settings for paper size, etc. are matching those in Cups and the actual printer then do a 'Print Preview', if that's all ok, click on the printer so it's highlighted and then the Print Button should come 'alive', press it and see what happens there and in the Cups Manage Jobs Tab.

If that Prints all right, I sugest you check what's set in the other apps with regards to Printer Name and paper size to start with. I have noticed that Mageia has a protection set in it's Cups and won't print wrong / mismatched sizes.

Can you also put a link for this into my Mageia thread please so I can backtrack to this if that is not your problem.

regards
scsijon
ps, this should really be under the Bugs Topic Group, can you also pm a moderator to move it please.