Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 10:17
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
A possible new puppy web site, your thoughts please.
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
tuxtoo

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan 2011, 17:59    Post subject:  A possible new puppy web site, your thoughts please.  

Hello

I have been viewing the Puppy Power section on the forum and a suggestion that caught my eye there was the one about putting up a web site on Puppy linux. I have been using Puppy Linux since v4.0 exclusively for about two years now, and I am presently using v4.1.2 HD install, As it works very well for me I see no need to change to another version.

The idea I had for a web site was based on v4.1.2. Some of the programs downloaded from the forum sometimes fail to run on v412 because of missing dependencies which then require a search for the require dependency . As v412 this is my preferred version, my idea was to make programs plus their dependencies available in the one place for users of v412. Plus programs from the forum that run without any further dependencies.

I am well aware there is an abundance of Puppy Linux resources on the web and there may be no need for this. As this is only an idea at present, I thought I would run it by you guys and would be grateful if you would give me some feedback on whether it would be worthwhile implementing it.

tuxtoo

Update - 8th June 2011

I have now implemented the above idea for this wesite here

Update - 3rd October 2012

http://412collection.co.uk has just had a makeover. Why not visit and see whats new.

Last edited by tuxtoo on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 15:56; edited 2 times in total
Dewbie

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan 2011, 23:43    Post subject:  

Thanks for posting!
Quote:
As v412 this is my preferred version, my idea was to make programs plus their dependencies available in the one place for users of v412.

How about one place for 4.1.2; another place for 4.2.1; yet another for 4.3.1, 3.0.1, etc...all on the same website?
(or, if this isn't practical, separate websites dedicated to each legacy version)

Quote:
I am well aware there is an abundance of Puppy Linux resources on the web and there may be no need for this.

Then again, there might be (a need)...one-stop shopping would be far preferable to wasting lots of time searching for things.
battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 02:31    Post subject:  

Maybe a software repository with a search function that can specify Puppy version, the search result will bring up all the software which works with your version of Puppy? Hmm, that's an idea for my own site Smile But you're welcomed to it if you like it Wink

I suppose the tricky part is finding what works and what doesn't with each Puppy version.

Battleshooter

noryb009

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 08:54    Post subject:  

I've created PPMo, which is simular to what you are talking about: http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/noryb009/PPMo/
tuxtoo

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 14:44    Post subject:  

Thanks noryb009, it seems you are way ahead of me. I was unaware of your PPMo. So there doesn't seem to be a need for this idea. Oh well!

Thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated.

tuxtoo
battleshooter

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 15:03    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
I've created PPMo, which is simular to what you are talking about: http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/noryb009/PPMo/

Ah very nice. I'd heard of your project before but I didn't know it cover that. Hope it grows, looks pretty good.

Battleshooter

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: