Lighthouse Pup 5.02 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#61 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:It really is Wine 1.3.11. Ever since 1.3.10 came out some places report 1.3.7 and I don't know why. I double-checked all of the binaries and they are the latest. The About tab of winecfg is correct at least.
In some utilities it is mentioned 1.3.7, but at least in wineconfig it is correct.
I call this a tactic "to confuse the Russians" :wink:

Ok reassured.
Could the zWine be used in other puppy's like Lucid?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Brown Mouse

#62 Post by Brown Mouse »

drblock2/Beem

Thank you both for the feedback re. Opera update.
I tried all the tricks but still couldn't achieve an update to 11.00.So after much frustration In the end I deleted both .opera and /usr/lib/opera directories and copied them over from Lucid 520 which had the desired effect. :oops:

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

502G not as snappy as I thought.

#63 Post by Béèm »

I have been working a while now with 502G.
I have 1GB ram, so almost all is in RAM, CPU is 1.4 Ghz.
From my 256MB time, I still keep the swap file I created then. One never knows.

It takes quite some time to open new windows. 2-3 seconds. I expected this to be better. In wine it is even worse.

Scrolling in a windows isn't snappy as well.

I did put the cpuload widget on the desktop and even when nothing goes on, I see cpu usage from 20-50%

Also the fan is working a lot. Much more as with other puppy's.

I did run HTOP and took a snapshot.

Is there anything I can do to have better response times when opening windows?

P.S. When I did put the cpu load widget on the desktop, I am blessed now with a dual CPU. :wink: altho I have only one.
Attachments
LH-htop.png
(121.51 KiB) Downloaded 1312 times
Time savers:

Sage

#64 Post by Sage »

I deleted both .opera and /usr/lib/opera directories and copied them over from Lucid 520
Just save your settings/addrssbk/etc - anywhere (FDD?). There is no need to d/l Opera in Puppy (and some other distros) - just 'open' it, not 'save' it using the .DEB(other) and the Puppy installer recognises it and starts up even if you are not using Lupu. Reload your guff.

tazoc

NLS

#65 Post by tazoc »

Sage wrote:
New Opera 11.00 pets here (Localization is separated from the main Opera Pet. The NLS pets are only for country/locales other than en_US.)
Curious? Haven't tried it yet, but care to offer some explanation, please? Opera is Norwegian. they tend to speak English English up there and we have extremely strong historical, ethnic(!), social and economic ties with our Nordic friends. Why would there be a US default and how does an NLS .pet pertain?
Opera-11.00-L1.pet is the application with en_US locale, and the Opera_NLS-11.00-L1.pet has all the other locales. So if you've chosen en_US for your country setup (/usr/sbin/chooselocale) you don't need the NLS pet, otherwise you'll need both. It has nothing to do with Opera, per se. It's an 'en_US-centric' way of trimming down a package, while still supporting NLS.

You can do this, too: download both Pets, right-click in ROX | Extract-pet to extract the contents. Repackage by opening a terminal in same dir and type dir2pet <pet-dir-name>. So, for example if your locale is en_GB, you could package your own Opera-en_GB by replacing /usr/share/opera/locale/en-US with /usr/share/opera/locale/en-GB taken from the NLS Pet.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Sage

#66 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that - I didn't realise it was possible. Wouldn't it be better to package up globally so as not to appear partisan, or, in deference to the creator, make the default Oz-o-centric?! You are probably aware of the deep angst the motherland feels about the way our dissident emigrees treat our common language. Notwithstanding, some usage over there is 'more correct', being the C16th form of expression...

Sylvander

#67 Post by Sylvander »

1. Still having trouble with CPU usage display down at bottom right ["System tray"?]...
It doesn't display at boot to desktop; can be fixed by then using "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace->xwin".
All is well once back into the desktop.

2. When I run a "Console" window and enter the command smm to run "SaveMyModem"...
And then "Disconnect" in smm, and...
Close the console to close both...
The console asks me for confirmation.
This is a pain...
This only happens in Lighthouse; no other Puppy. :(

AndrewG

#68 Post by AndrewG »

I'd like to say that this release is awesome. I have installed LightHouse puppy on my daughter's laptop(2ghz) and it works hyper fast!!
But there is a common problem I found on LightHouse on Lucid Puppy 5.2 and on SnowPuppy too. Wireless disconnects after 3-15 minutes. I have USB wifi adapter on RTL-8187L. It works fine on Windows and Slitaz. Is there any cure for LightHouse?
Btw, there is a thread about same issue in SnowPuppy.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=15
Can anyone help?

rcrsn51

#69 Post by rcrsn51 »

AndrewG wrote:But there is a common problem I found on LightHouse on Lucid Puppy 5.2 and on SnowPuppy too. Wireless disconnects after 3-15 minutes. I have USB wifi adapter on RTL-8187L. It works fine on Windows and Slitaz.
Do you mean that it disconnects while you are using it or while it is sitting idle?

nooby

#70 Post by nooby »

Surprise. I use Snow Puppy daily from say 9AM to 11PM and with short breaks for food. But I can let it go idle for 30 minutes and it does not lose connection. But I had this problem some year ago in Quirky or 431? and it solved by suing SNS.

I've not tested if LHP has that problem though.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

AndrewG

#71 Post by AndrewG »

thanks so much for reply.It disconnects in idle.
What is SNS?

nooby

#72 Post by nooby »

Sorry it is short for the

Simple Network Setup in Menu- Set Up - Network

rcrsn51

#73 Post by rcrsn51 »

I had the same problem with my netbook when it was using WEP (the problem disappeared when I switched to WPA). It seems like some wifi devices and/or their drivers automatically disconnect after a period of inactivity.

I solved the problem with the method here.

AndrewG

#74 Post by AndrewG »

I use WPA2. My wifi adapter works fine on Slitaz so this is not device problem I quess.

AndrewG

#75 Post by AndrewG »

I forgot to ask. Where in lighthouse pup is. SNS ? I cant find it.

rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

Did you try the method I suggested above?

nooby

#77 Post by nooby »

Andrew you are right so follow the advice of rcrsn51 instead.

rcrsn51 how do you manage to remember to spell your user name? I only remember the first two chars rc in your username and then I have no idea.

Heheh did you chose it so very few would remember it so it would be a challenge?

AndrewG

#78 Post by AndrewG »

Hi. Thank you for all your help, but I have found another problem on this LightHouse version(5.02).
Fortunately I've found solution too. It might be useful for someone. So,
I had max speed during download(signal strength 90%) but websites were loading very very slow. Some of them did not want to open either.
In an act of desperate I've blacklisted RTL-8187 and installed windows driver through ndiswrapper. And guess wheat? Everything works like a charm! Thanks again and best regards to all

gcmartin

#79 Post by gcmartin »

@TazOC, I remeber somewhere that you were looking into some issues with "LightHouse and booting and multi-session LiveCD". Hope nothing done here, Barry says impacts your corrections.

This is just a note. Hope it helps

Béèm

5.02G automount, rox setting

#80 Post by Béèm »

5.02G automount, rox setting

Two issues now

1 - I decided to see what Mariner could bring for me and 'installed' the sfs.
I configured rox to have list view, small icons and no video thumbnail
After rebooting this morning, these option, which did stick without the Mariner sfs, are now reset.
How can I have these option stick permanently?
EDIT
I redid the settings again and for problem 2 I did a reboot.
Now the setting did stick. Don't know why it didn't stick in the first try.

2 - This issue has been there from the beginning.
I only want to have sdb1 auto-mounted at boot, so I did a start mount drives setup in which I did choose only sdb1, but in spite of this all drives are mounted after boot.
EDIT
I just discovered that there is another script automount-setup. I had to un-tick the option auto-mount all at startup
Now only the previously selected sdb1 is auto-mounted.
Confusing this dual script approach. It would be more user-friendly to have all related options in one script.
Last edited by Béèm on Fri 28 Jan 2011, 13:48, edited 2 times in total.
Time savers: