Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 18 Sep 2018, 21:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
[ANNOUNCE] src2pkg-2.4 released
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
big_bass

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jan 2011, 22:53    Post subject:  

scsijon wrote:
ok, for a dumb q!

I now have in my comp 3 packages, the src2pkg.....pet and two GUI.....gz's.

What am I suppose to do with them to make a useable application?

thanks
scsijon

Hey scsijon
sure here's an easy mini how to

first install src2pkg

when that finishes
open a terminal and paste this
Code:
src2pkg --setup

run the LAST GUI I wrote to pre configure for puppy http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=37350

then you could just paste this code below in a terminal to auto download and build the package then open the correct folder to see the package Very Happy

*All of the above is a one time set up only

Code:

#set up a folder to build in
mkdir -p /$HOME/mt
cd /$HOME/mt

#download the package source  you want to compile
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtpaint/files/mtpaint/3.31/mtpaint-3.31.tar.bz2/download

#src2pkg  options   package name
src2pkg -A -E mtpaint-3.31.tar.bz2

#open the folder
rox -d /$HOME/mt
amigo

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 04:28    Post subject:  

When you have a perma-link to sources, you can even just do:
src2pkg -PET2 URL-of-source
scsijon

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 07:30    Post subject:  

thanks, see how I go tomorrow.

regards
scsijon
_Mark_

PostPosted: Sat 29 Jan 2011, 17:52    Post subject:  

Hi
first time using src2pkg, in fact first time doing any sort of packaging, have to start somewhere I guess.

Anyway to my problem I successfully built my first package a tcl package for python, I haven't tried the pet yet but it built successfully, now tried to to do the tk package and get an No INSTALL_LINE given

I have no idea what this might be and a bit lost on how to diagnose.
Does src2pkg produce any logs that may give more info on the error or does anyone have any idea

Have attached a screen shot and if you need any more info let me know

Thanks
error.png
 Description   
 Filesize   99.84 KB
 Viewed   1283 Time(s)

error.png

amigo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan 2011, 06:23    Post subject:  

You can have src2pkg log the output by adding the option '-LOG' to the command line when running it. Or, you can have it show all the output from the actions by using the option '-VV'.

The error you see is a pretty generic message whcih could be caused by any of several problems. Restart the build using the -VV option and then paste the result -at least the last part where the erros shows. From the output, it appears that configuration was successful but the build is failing when running 'make'.

This is probably not a src2pkg error -trying to build manually would give the same error. So, we need more verboce output to see what the error is.
_Mark_

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan 2011, 11:56    Post subject:  

amigo wrote:
You can have src2pkg log the output by adding the option '-LOG' to the command line when running it. Or, you can have it show all the output from the actions by using the option '-VV'.

The error you see is a pretty generic message whcih could be caused by any of several problems. Restart the build using the -VV option and then paste the result -at least the last part where the erros shows. From the output, it appears that configuration was successful but the build is failing when running 'make'.

This is probably not a src2pkg error -trying to build manually would give the same error. So, we need more verboce output to see what the error is.

Thanks for the reply amigo

I have sort of given up with these now I was only doing it for practice, turns out i had to install the tcl package ran src2pkg again but failed again due to missing libs, so think I will try something simpler to start with
Thanks for the -VV and -LOG tips

Mark
amigo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan 2011, 12:08    Post subject:  

Yeah, starting out with something which needs lots of new depends is not a good way to gain confidence. Try compiling some gtk program -even something which is already on your system -like geany os something like that.

Try this:
src2pkg -PET2 http://download.geany.org/geany-0.20.tar.bz2
Then, you can play around with some of the command-line options -the options that are all CAPS let you change prefs on-the-fly.
big_bass

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan 2011, 16:25    Post subject:  

Hey _Mark_

python and its dependencies is much more involved to take on for a first time build

I compiled it all from source a few times and I need to update it again the next time
I will document the whole build step by step
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41298&start=317
there are a lot of dependencies if you want a full version of it

Joe
_Mark_

PostPosted: Sun 30 Jan 2011, 21:03    Post subject:  

Hey joe

Thanks for the info, I only decided to do the tcl/tk package as a practice I don't really need it, but would be interested in your step by step

I also have a question I did as amigo suggested and tried a gtk package for practice I used grsync a front end for rsync, it all built ok and I installed the pet again ok. 2 little problems realy I had to restart x server to get the menu item to appear I thought restarting jwm should do it, also I uninstalled the pet with PPM and it's all still there nothing was removed

I know not strictly a src2pkg problem but thought you may have some idea

Is late here so will have another look tomorrow
big_bass

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan 2011, 01:34    Post subject:  

_Mark_
Quote:
I used grsync a front end for rsync, it all built ok and I installed the pet again ok. 2 little problems realy I had to restart x server to get the menu item to appear I thought restarting jwm should do it, also I uninstalled the pet with PPM and it's all still there nothing was removed

if you just paste the link of the sources you used to build the package grsync version #???
we could duplicate what happened and test it also

thanks in advance
when you get a chance

could you also paste this in a terminal then paste the output so,I could check what gtk you have
Code:

pkg-config --modversion gtk+-2.0

*most likely an error in the .desktop ( JWM is sensitive) since that is what is read to create the menu item
but I dont want to speculate when we could reproduce the build

Joe
_Mark_

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan 2011, 06:09    Post subject:  

Joe

My GTK version is 2.20.1

I got the sources from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/grsync/files/ ver 1.1.1

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this

Also is there any documentation for .pet building in general not necessarily with src2pkg I have looked around the various Puppy sites and couldn't find anything

thanks
Mark
Keef

PostPosted: Tue 01 Feb 2011, 05:58    Post subject:  

_Mark_

maybe this is what you want...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35507
DPUP5520

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar 2011, 00:05    Post subject:  

Ok I think im finally convinced I suck at compiling from source, tried compiling five different programs with this the last of them being ethereal, got error saying it could not create folder (/usr/lib/ethereal not found) manually created folder and it still failed with same error, others getting the error that no install script exists tried using -i='make install' and they don't work either. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I was actually able to compile ethereal by hand which is wierd considering all I did was configure ethereal with no options and then the gtk package and then ran make on both, sent it to a tmp directory and then created a pet with dir2pet. Curious as why it worked like that yet src2pkg could not do it.
amigo

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar 2011, 15:31    Post subject:  

Well, you do seem to be having unusual luck. If you can manually compile and install something, then it can certainly be done with src2pkg. The first thing to try different is to use the '-DEST' option from the commandline. src2pkg has several ways of 'faking' the paths when 'make install' gets run and some sources will only work with some of the options. The dfault method is called '-JAIL' because it is safest. But it will fail about the same number of times as the ssecond choice '-DEST'. If both of those fail, there are still three others which can be tried.

If you want to learn more about using src2pkg, it would be good to try some simple or small programs first -especially ones which you already know will correcty compile and install using manual methods or other packaging software.
Page 3 of 3 [44 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: