Fix for int'l keyboards (Xkb) in Puppy 108/108r1 - Rev1

News, happenings
pakt

Fix for int'l keyboards (Xkb) in Puppy 108/108r1 - Rev1

#1 Post by pakt »

This is a revision of my "Fix for international keyboards (Xkb) in Puppy 1.0.8" post that fixes a few more problems with xkb in Puppy 1.0.8 and Puppy 1.0.8r1.

Puppy 1.0.8 does not have all the Xorg Xkb files needed to get international keyboards to work. Some xkb links and a directory are incorrect as well. Puppy 1.0.8r1 fixed the main problem, but some other features do not work.

I have taken the correct files and links to fix Puppy 1.0.8 and Puppy 1.0.8r1 from lior2b's xkb.tar.gz and put them in the attached file xkb_108.tar.gz.

This archive also fixes lior2b's xorg.conf "alt-shift" option to toggle between two keyboard layouts.
(Ref: thread http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5993 post #5)

Note that the archive includes the xkb binary xkbcomp. Testing showed that the other five binary files were not needed.

Installation instructions:

1. Download xkb_108.tar.gz to /root

2. Open a rxvt terminal (Start -> Run -> Rxvt terminal emulator)

3. Change directory to /root (in case we are not there)
# cd

4. Unpack archive which creates directory usr (containing the necessary xkb files)
# tar xzf xkb_108.tar.gz

5. Remove old xkb files (this step is necessary to remove an incorrect directory)
# rm -R /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/

6. Copy new xkb files to filesystem
# cp -af usr/ /

7. Delete the archive files as they are not needed anymore
# rm xkb_108.tar.gz
# rm -R usr

8. Quit X (Press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace)

9. Restart X by typing "xwin" (without the quotes)

Hopefully, your international keyboard as well as shifting between two keyboard layouts should now work. ;)

Paul

The forum's storage space for attachments seems to be full, so Mark (MU) has kindly offered to store xkb_108.tar.gz on his website.
You can download it here
Last edited by pakt on Thu 02 Mar 2006, 13:32, edited 10 times in total.

Ted Dog

mirror for release 1 of v1.o8

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

Please check md5sum, there have been a rise in IE browsers & file completion errors at Puptrix this week.

http://puptrix.org/std/puppy-1.0.8r1-mozilla.iso
8d294e1f060b898d371704223a950387 puppy-1.0.8r1-mozilla.iso

http://puptrix.org/std/puppy-multisessi ... ozilla.iso
811c8187563342843e0d2b16cb48678f puppy-multisession-1.0.8r1-mozilla.iso

pakt

Re: mirror for release 1 of v1.o8

#3 Post by pakt »

Ted Dog wrote:Please check md5sum, there have been a rise in IE browsers & file completion errors at Puptrix this week.
Ted Dog, I'm afraid I don't understand what that has to with putting a file ON the forum. I'm not downloading anything...
Am I missing something here?

Paul

eMeRy

#4 Post by eMeRy »

I agree with pakt, but dowloaded the iso, burnt and boot from it.
The keyboard layout issue at puppy 1.08 seems solved for me and think most of us too.

:)

pakt

#5 Post by pakt »

eMeRy wrote: The keyboard layout issue at puppy 1.08 seems solved for me and think most of us too.
eMeRy, are you using Xvesa or Xorg graphics?
It is only in Xorg that there is a problem with international keyboards - that is what Xkb is supposed to solve.

Paul

EDIT: Ah, I see. I just read that Barry has released Puppy 1.0.8r1. That fixes the main problem with Xorg and international keyboards.

Barry has not fixed all the problems though. That is what the file I'm trying to upload to the forum will do - IF I can ever get it uploaded... :(

EDIT2: I have updated the first post in this thread. The archive is now available for download. See the first post for details.
Last edited by pakt on Sun 26 Feb 2006, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

#6 Post by Guest »

eMeRy, are you using Xvesa or Xorg graphics?
I'm using Xorg this time, of course.

I like the new look of jwm. I mean the smarter fonts in jwm menu. I looks much better than at the old one. I suppose we can modify the fonts there.

eMeRy

#7 Post by eMeRy »

...sorry, it was me...
:oops:

MU

#8 Post by MU »

Paul, send it to me via EMail, or use Puppians forum:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3778
Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Paul, and others,
I'm just about to upload an announcement of Paul's improved
xkb on the Developer News page, with a link to this thread.
If someone can get Paul's file up somewhere, then post the
link here.
...I've also got it, so can upload it somewhere if noone else has

pakt

#10 Post by pakt »

BarryK wrote: ...I've also got it, so can upload it somewhere if noone else has
Fixed. Mark (MU) has kindly offered to store the file on his website. See the updated first post in this thread for details.

Paul

Dougal

#11 Post by Dougal »

Just a comment:
(In Vector at least) the xkb folder is in /etc/x11 and what's in /usr/x11r6... is just a link to that same folder. (in Lior's tarball he had the two identical folders- an extra 500k..)

pakt

#12 Post by pakt »

Dougal wrote:Just a comment:
(In Vector at least) the xkb folder is in /etc/x11 and what's in /usr/x11r6... is just a link to that same folder. (in Lior's tarball he had the two identical folders- an extra 500k..)
Interesting. So that explains why it was possible to remove more than half of the files. :)

Paul

ICPUG

#13 Post by ICPUG »

Pakt,

In your instructions, should there be an extra step after 6) to remove the original tarball and the unpacked files. Otherwise you are wasting space in pup001. Are the two commands for this?

rm xkb_108.tar.gz
rm -R usr

The main facility your update gives me is the option to switch between two keyboards. Puppy 1.0.8r1 would give me my gb keyboard but would not allow switching between gb and us. Your update does.

ICPUG

pakt

#14 Post by pakt »

ICPUG wrote:Pakt,

In your instructions, should there be an extra step after 6) to remove the original tarball and the unpacked files. Otherwise you are wasting space in pup001. Are the two commands for this?

rm xkb_108.tar.gz
rm -R usr
Yes, of course you are right. Those commands will do the job. I have now included them in my instructions.
ICPUG wrote:The main facility your update gives me is the option to switch between two keyboards. Puppy 1.0.8r1 would give me my gb keyboard but would not allow switching between gb and us. Your update does.
Thanks for confirming that my update also fixes that feature in Puppy 1.0.8r1. :)

Paul