5.11 or 4.31

Using applications, configuring, problems
pixelblip

5.11 or 4.31

#1 Post by pixelblip »

Sorry if I am lazy instead of hunting the web for this answer.

I've got my Puppy 4.31 working fine. Is there a way of upgrading it to 5.11 easily? (ie my .sfs file). I've got my .sfs environment exactly as I want it and am very happy. I only ask as I was wondering if version 5.11 is more stable?

Sometimes if the pc hangs I find in 4.31 I can sometimes corrupt the pupsave file if I power the pc off. It can be a little delicate if you don't mind me saying. Of course the mantra 'back up your pupsave.sfs file' rings true here which I do.
I using 5.11 going to be more bullet proof?

I was going to re-install everything again but I couldn't find qjackctl.pet for Puppy 5.11.....and Puppy 5.11 felt a little different to me.

Any opinions welcomed thanks as I am still sitting on the fence.

NinerSevenTango

#2 Post by NinerSevenTango »

I'm not the expert here but I'm pretty sure you can lose your sfs file in 511 as well if you pull the plug.

What is qjackctl?

--97T--

Edit: A quick search didn't tell me what it was, but here's the pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 68&t=58369

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

You can not upgrade Puppy 4.3.1 to Puppy 5.1.1. There is too much different. General rule for upgrade is, it can be done if you are in the same series. Example;
4.1 to 4.2 to 4.31
5.0 to 5.1 to 5.1.1.
I using 5.11 going to be more bullet proof?
I would say yes. I feel Puppy 5.11 is much improved over Puppy 4.31. A lot of stuff has been updated and tweaked.
One thing I have noticed from posts in the forum is that Puppy 5.11 may not be the best choice if you have a really old computer. Having said that, I have used it on some really old stuff and it worked for me.
Just do a frugal install of Puppy 5.11 and have both on the computer. Try it for awhile and slowly move over.
Puppy 5.2 is in final stage of release. The test version can be downloaded from the forum.

pixelblip

#4 Post by pixelblip »

Thanks for your help both of you!

pupadakat

What can I do, then?

#5 Post by pupadakat »

Hello, so I can't upgrade my 4.3.1 puppy installed in frugal mode to a 5.1.1 Lucid Puppy version?
Well, I have a little problem.

See, I have a LuPu 5.1.1in the USB (thanks to it I saved my laptop, there, there...) but it gave me an audio problem which I was unable to solve... probably the version didn't recognize my card. But! I installed Puppy 4.3.1 and everything went perfectly (even the audio stuff)... until I realized the screen showed me poor speed or framerate when I tried to open some multi-media pages on internet (for example, a facebook screen with a big picture... and all those advertisements on the right).

So, do you know whether I can do something to speed up puppy 4.3.1 (5.1.1 used to go perfectly fast)? Or maybe I can pass somehow to 5.1.1 without losing my audio configuration?