How to add an option to ROX' right-click menu?

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
ravensrest

#16 Post by ravensrest »

Putting a symlink to your "Trash" script in ~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith will result in the Trash item showing up in the Open With... item whenever you right click in Rox-filer. You can instead make the Trash script show up at the top of the main Rox-filer right click menu by selecting the Customize Menu... from the Rox-filer menu that pops up when an item is right clicked. The SendTo directory that pops up is symlinked to the OpenWith directory. Create a symlink in this way for each type of file you want to be able to move to the trash bin. See the rox manual in Puppy for more information.
BS

technosaurus

#17 Post by technosaurus »

Karl Godt wrote:does `mv $@` also works with spaces in the filename

and wouid `mv "$@"` also work ?
Try it and see - $@ should work with dragged files but not with command line entry unless you enclose spaced files with quotes -- I have a snippet that replaces spaces though

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
[ $1 ] && cd $1
for x in *;do
y=`echo $x |sed "s/ /_/g"`;
[ "$x" != "$y" ] && mv "$x" "$y" && [ -d "$y" ] && $0 $y || [ -d "$x" ] && $0 $x;
done
explanation:
if you entered a directory as input change to that directory
for all files/directories in the current directory do
set up a variable to compare to x try to replace space with underscore using sed
if the variables don't match then must have had a spaces so rename (move) that file to the string with underscores
if the current y or x is a directory run this script in that directory too (this is recursion)
done

$0 refers to the script itself so you can call it recursively as above regardless if it is in $PATH or what it is named ... you can make a self destructing script like:
rm -f $0
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

big_bass

#18 Post by big_bass »

just to add something that already exists is easy
as explained with symlinks

---------------------------------------------------------------------

*but if you truly want to add a new app to rox that you made its more complex and more code to take care of all of the steps needed

this not only automates it for you it shows you step by step how its done

here is a script you could easily modify to build any right click app
It already works for the trash as is so you have a working example to start with

how to
unzip these two files to root
/root/dnd_trash
/root/setup-global-trash

then just a one time set up needed click on this file and you are done you never have to do that part again
root/setup-global-trash

it uses the trash bin
and a new app dir was created
and a bonus dragNdrop selected files are move to trash

you get a prompt if you want to move the file as a safety

this is how I auto build app directories when I need one

Joe
Attachments
trash.png
(15.22 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
dnd_trash-1-i486-3_SLXR.tar.gz
(1.92 KiB) Downloaded 328 times