Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
duke93535

#31 Post by duke93535 »

playdayz

When i run htop in lupu511 or lupu520 The results are the same , the Kernel is the same in lupu511 as in lupu520. The kernel in Quirky 1.4 is 2.6.31.14, neither of the Lucids has the menu working correctly.

thanks duke

Jim1911

#32 Post by Jim1911 »

Eyes-Only wrote:This is when I go to change around desktop icons mate? If I should move them around the screen, or even delete some in favour of others - and then reboot - they'll be back, oft-times in their same places which will cause a real jumble upon the desktop space, see what I mean? Sometimes it'll remain fine for one or two reboots, then hit me on the 3rd or 4th. Sometimes as soon as the next. It's not predictable in other words.
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
To correct this problem, arrange your icons like you want them, then goto /Choices/ROX-Filer and copy PuppyPin to PuppyPinMy. Then when you add an sfs or do anything else that changes the desktop simply copy PuppyPinMy to PuppyPin and restart X to restore your desktop.

Eyes-Only

#33 Post by Eyes-Only »

AHA! Thanks Jim! Much appreciated my fellow Puppian friend! :D

Cheers/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

duke93535 wrote:playdayz

When i run htop in lupu511 or lupu520 The results are the same , the Kernel is the same in lupu511 as in lupu520. The kernel in Quirky 1.4 is 2.6.31.14, neither of the Lucids has the menu working correctly.

thanks duke
What is not working with the menu?

bigpup

#35 Post by bigpup »

Make a new entry in menu.lst for the new version.
I have been using Grub4dos as my only boot loader. Any time I add or remove an installed version of Puppy Linux, I run Grub4dos config. It auto finds what changes I have made and sets up the boot menu to reflect those changes. No more manual input required. It has detected every change with 100% correct results. Believe me, I have done some crazy changes to the installs of Puppy Linux while testing for Lucid 5.2.

bigpup

#36 Post by bigpup »

Warning about updating/upgrading frugal installs.

It has problems trying to use an older version save file with a newer version of Puppy Linux. It will update the save file, but not to 100% with no problems. Your mileage will very. Anything may happen. It is a known problem that Barry hopes to correct soon.
playdayz wrote:it doesn't work 100% but the tests I did were definitely useful--one might have to reinstall a program, change the desktop, some icons might get lost--but my tests did end up functional.

smiley

jfs drive mounting

#37 Post by smiley »

I am unable to mount any jfs drives with 5.2.

5.1.1 worked as a charm, was the support for jfs dropped in 5.2?

If I do a upgrade from 5.1.1 then it is working.

01micko

#38 Post by 01micko »

smiley wrote:I am unable to mount any jfs drives with 5.2.
e2fsprogs was rolled back for older machines, try the one in Lucid Puppy News (link in the first post or from Quickpet)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

smiley

#39 Post by smiley »

01micko wrote:
e2fsprogs was rolled back for older machines, try the one in Lucid Puppy News (link in the first post or from Quickpet)

Cheers
I have tried e2fsprogs-1.41.14-w5-20101224.pet and e2fsprogs_new-1.41.14-w5-20101224.pet found in the ibiblios lucid pets.

No change, jfs mount still not working, pmount(started from the terminal) sais:
"mount: unknown filesystem type 'jfs'"

So i guess something else cause this or I did not find the right version?

I am new, so here is a newbie question, is there a complete list of changes or packages that are in 5.2 and 5.1.1?

Regards

abesidi

#40 Post by abesidi »

w00t, finally a simple calculator with a thousands seperator came with Puppy :D Before, there was this scientific unnecessarily huge calculator to calculate 15x23 :P Of course, the added .RAR support is very neat too!

I agree, this is the best Puppy Linux to date, there are lots new features and updates and I have yet to discover lots of them.

Keep up the good work guys!

ttuuxxx

#41 Post by ttuuxxx »

abesidi wrote:w00t, finally a simple calculator with a thousands seperator came with Puppy :D Before, there was this scientific unnecessarily huge calculator to calculate 15x23 :P Of course, the added .RAR support is very neat too!

I agree, this is the best Puppy Linux to date, there are lots new features and updates and I have yet to discover lots of them.

Keep up the good work guys!
your probably talking about the hacked gcalctool calculator, Yes that's my favorite also, I really like the advanced features, 3 calc's in one, I first hacked that early last year to work on 2.14X, and since lucid had gconf, It only made since to compile it for 5 series :), I also never liked any of the default calculators.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

smiley

#42 Post by smiley »

smiley wrote:
01micko wrote:

Cheers
I have tried e2fsprogs-1.41.14-w5-20101224.pet and e2fsprogs_new-1.41.14-w5-20101224.pet found in the ibiblios lucid pets.

So i guess something else cause this or I did not find the right version?

I am new, so here is a newbie question, is there a complete list of changes or packages that are in 5.2 and 5.1.1?
I have been checking the previous betas and looks like from luci-243 to luci 244 something has changed.
All the versions below 243(240,241,242) did mount jfs OK.
luci-244 reported an error when mounting jfs, so my guess would be something was changed or broken in this transition.

samarai

Re: Post Some BUGS

#43 Post by samarai »

nooby wrote:
samarai wrote:Hello guys,
I am a chinese user,I had use LUPU for some times,and i met some troble.

There is many difference betwin Old release puppy and Lupu,
At the old puppy,It can support chinese locale well.But in the Lupu,When the chinese strings in the ANSI documents it allways show me garbled.
and when I use wireless ,the chinese ESSID just only show me a UTF-8 code..

When I was boot Lupu at first time,the xorgwizard haven't shows,and just take me to the black screen,so I reboot,and at the time when it was going to the 'black screen' I press Ctrl+C to abort ,and run xorgwizard to use vesa mode,my netbook used Atom N270 with intel g945 chipset,I can use probe mode at the old release puppy,but Lupu.

The Lupu is great,It has so more wonderful functions then the old release puppy,But itis BUG also more too,I think...
I had hoped others that know more should give you advice.

I also have a computer that use n270 and intel 945. I use Fluppy and Snow Puppy on it.

I suggest you do test if these behave better. Fluppy 010 you can find here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56156

and Snow Puppy here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=483927

These both have drivers that hopefully work better on your computer.

Jemimah is Developer for Fluppy.

But about the Chinese maybe Shinobar can help he encourage all to make Local Language support for Puppy. And he is from Japan so he maybe have knowledge on what you ask.
Thank you dear nooby,I have to use quirky1.4 this days.next time I will try the Japanese Vertion,and hope it fixed.Now all the Chinese user use leafpad to open the documents,because of the Bug I told...
I dont like to use the leafpad because I haven't used it before so maybe the old quirky is shut the more.I was so sad with we could not play lupu as well...
:arrow: welcome to Amoy lads' club,[url=http://xmlad.com]Xmlad.com[/url] I am Chinese' youth I'm Xiamen's lad.

playdayz

#44 Post by playdayz »

1) Unable to remasterCD. I've made it many times before with other puppies so I am not doing anything else here. The problem is :
Lucid build a Lucid.sfs in size about 23 mb !!!! So there is missing something I gues. I am also:
I was able to remaster a largish Lucid Puppy--Perhaps you did not have enough spare room on the disk that you used to remaster.

Also I have been able to burn consistently--but we will watch this.

swiatmar

#45 Post by swiatmar »

Hello!!!

I have a question about autostart of xfce after remastering. Usually to start automatically xfce I need to change the entrance in .xinitrc at the end exec
and /etc/windowmanager to startxfce4. But after it Lucid wont start xfce automatically? I sthere something new? Did I miss something?
:)

playdayz

#46 Post by playdayz »

Cheers

Smiley, Thanks for the sleuthing you did. This is the e2fsprogs from luci-243. As 01micko said, it makes sense that it would be e2fsprogs. This one was from maverick but as micko also said we reverted because some people had trouble with it. It is not the same as any that you have tried. After installing you should reboot to make sure.

<Add> You might try the jfsutils that are several messages below this first.
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#47 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:

Cheers

Smiley, Thanks for the sleuthing you did. This is the e2fsprogs from luci-243. As 01micko said, it makes sense that it would be e2fsprogs. This one was from maverick but as micko said we reverted because some people had trouble with it. It is not the same as any that you have tried.
I noticed the Gparted in Lucid 5.2 does not have the ability to do a lot of formats. Is the above why?
Attachments
gparted format.png
Gparted format choices
(35.69 KiB) Downloaded 1962 times

playdayz

#48 Post by playdayz »

Smiley, What am I thinking. Here is the e2fsprogs from Lucid 511.

Sylvander

#49 Post by Sylvander »

Within my Lupu-520, the "Open with..." in Xfe doesn't retain the file associations. :(
Never seen that problem before.

playdayz

#50 Post by playdayz »

Thanks for the clue Bigpup. I checked and lucid 5.1.1 was the same.

Smiley, try this one. It is the utilities for jfs. It allows gparted to format to jfs (bigpup's clue), so maybe it will allow jfs to be mounted.