Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
scsijon

52 problem

#181 Post by scsijon »

New problem for you (I think).

Booted the main internet box up this afternoon after a hard mornings work on another box.

It booted up to the point of showing the cursor on a black background, mouse moved cursor ok, but that was it.

Shutdown using C-A-D ok and booted to nox.

Just could not get the xwin or xorgwizard to start.

did a e2fsck after rebooting to another partition, nothing found, could see all files and directories ok. No error messages or anything.

wierd

I ended up by moving the latest root and rebuilding again (see my message above on how I do it), shifting root back, rebooting and everything came back ok as if nothing had happened.

regards
scsijon

If it happens again i'll try to save the parn, but as the drive is small I only have three large partitions and the other two are dedicated to my woof tree and wary5.

bones01

#182 Post by bones01 »

Hi all,

I've found an intriguing problem with wbar. I d/led wbar from PPM a while ago and got everything working, but whenever I start the computer, I get a double wbar. If I go to desktop > desktop settings > wbar setup and click 'start', then one of them disappears.

I uninstalled, and d/led a fresh copy and the same thing happens.

It's not an earth shattering problem, but a problem none-the-less.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Jim1911

#183 Post by Jim1911 »

bones01 wrote:Hi all,

I've found an intriguing problem with wbar. I d/led wbar from PPM a while ago and got everything working, but whenever I start the computer, I get a double wbar. If I go to desktop > desktop settings > wbar setup and click 'start', then one of them disappears. Bones
Does the double image disappear when you right click in the wbar area?

bones01

#184 Post by bones01 »

Jim1911 wrote:
bones01 wrote:Hi all,

I've found an intriguing problem with wbar. I d/led wbar from PPM a while ago and got everything working, but whenever I start the computer, I get a double wbar. If I go to desktop > desktop settings > wbar setup and click 'start', then one of them disappears. Bones
Does the double image disappear when you right click in the wbar area?
No.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

#185 Post by Ravenous Bugblatter Beast »

A minor issue: "ntp 123/udp" is missing from /etc/services, so the installed ntpdate command to synchronise with an internet time server doesn't work.

bigpup

#186 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Does Lucid 5.2 have this update to pfix=ram?

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02034

live

#187 Post by live »

First I want to congratulate all the people who did Puppy 5.2, a great & readily noticeable job has been done since I discovered 4.3.1. :-) :-)
Probably also for 5.0 & 5.1 but I didn't test it much as was waiting to experience deeper changes.

In one of the post about 5.2 I saw about the future of 5.2, was what about fixing Puppy and that reported bugs in previous versions were not fixed, alas so it is and hope so has it been.

So I pick some I notice:
* Sound does not work through HDMI interface
* Picassa does not display correctly files or folders name with non-english char - probably this still due to old and buggy ntfs-3g version of 2010-1-16
Once I read that playdayz had change it to a more stable & recent one, well a console ntfs-3g --help proofs the contrary. :-( :-(
* OpenShot does not start even if I pre-installed Python, actually I first tried with the brillant Puppy Studio 3.3 but same issue. When I ask for missing dependicies for OpenShot there are many. Cinerella opens OK
* can't view pictures in RAW format (Picassa 3 beta does not show them correctly)

I have already reported, but will emphase once again its importance, please update to the latest system components
ntfs-3g, Gparted, ...
Have a look to http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=changelog Patrick do know the importance of this.

How do you want to claim for a change from Windows to Linux, if one can't write or read properly to a ntfs partition??
Many people are not aware of this, because they work on play simple ntfs partition in plain English, but has soon as you are out of this, issues are coming. Personaly, in 2009, I reported regarding ntfs, now fixed, it was so serious that after having copied a file (with un usual characters) that neither through Linux, nor through Win I could delete it! I had no other option than to reformat my partition ...

Do look at the long fixing changelog http://www.tuxera.com/community/release-history/

Feature suggestion:
* Add to the default configuration start-up wizard ability to modify the Global font size
* LibreOffice in quicket as ppt file are common and csv have a buggy support with Gnumeric

Thanks and long live to Puppy

swiatmar

Savind to ram problem

#188 Post by swiatmar »

Hello!!

I have some problem with saving to ram on lucid puppy 5.2. It takes extremely long to save!!!.
I am using lucid as a frugal install on a usb stick with a dual core PC. Before I was using quirky and it newer took longer as one minute. With lucid it takes usually about 5-10 min. also by shutting down :(
The other problem is that many times after restart lucid show me a massage, that system wasn't closed correctly,but after this 5-10 min lucid closed the system..........

swiatmar

#189 Post by swiatmar »

@ Bones01:
Hi all,

I've found an intriguing problem with wbar. I d/led wbar from PPM a while ago and got everything working, but whenever I start the computer, I get a double wbar. If I go to desktop > desktop settings > wbar setup and click 'start', then one of them disappears.
I have no idea if it helps but I know that I had a similar problem.
Check .xinitrc if you have there an entrance about wbar at the end.
The lucid package of wbar has also the wbar setup option it creates a starter in /root/Startup- wstart
So then you have a double entrance and wbar starts double.......

xman

Chrome-8

#190 Post by xman »

Yes, I found a passable browser for Lupu-5.2. As I reported earlier, PPM, Opera 11.01 and Firefox 3.6.13 & 4b were freezing, and Midori was crashing.

Still, I have live-cd burned and I can't forget it. So, I have to give 3rd fresh start for Lupu-5.2. And indeed, browsers installed from Chrome-8-stable.deb (http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?hl=en) or Iron-8.0.555.0-Lucid.pet without any extra libs are behaving quite well in my old laptop (amd-512).

nooby

#191 Post by nooby »

How does Chrome solve what Noscript solve in Firefox?

How do I set up such in Chrome or Iron?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

xman

#192 Post by xman »

nooby wrote:How does Chrome solve what Noscript solve in Firefox?

How do I set up such in Chrome or Iron?
I'm extranoob on this, but there is chrome extension named notscript: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de ... dajjpkkcfn.

Notscript needs password which is used to protect your privacy by preventing web sites from viewing the NotScripts whitelist caches. Open CHANGE__PASSWORD__HERE.js as text from ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/Extensions/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn to set password.
Attachments
notscript-0.9.6.png
(49.27 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

whytej2

Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

#193 Post by whytej2 »

HI,
Been happily using linux since 2007 and puppy linux since 4.3.1. I have tried many distros but I have stuck with ubuntu (because i can get everything to work) and puppy linux (because its lightning fast.).

I am very pleased with puppy 5.2 but somehow I cant get the wireless to stick. I connect and every five minutes sometimes two it disconnects.

This only happens with lupu (any version) as all other distros and Puppy 4.3 maintain the connection.

I tried lighthouse pup 5.02 and I only had to set the connection the first time and whenever i booted up the connection was ever-present (does anyone know how that was achieved?). however I prefer lupu.

This wireless issue is the only show stopper at the minute. can any one please help.

Specs:
Compaq NX7010 (Laptop)
1g ram
intel pentium(r)M processor 1600Mhz
wireless=pci:lan 2100 3b mini pci adapter
module ipw2100

nooby

#194 Post by nooby »

xman that was a good thing to know. Even psw protected too. I did not even knew that Chrome had any extensions. Thanks for telling about it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

canbyte

#195 Post by canbyte »

When 511 became official release, i gave it a try but even though it looked nice and seemed stable, devx didn't work so i had to give up. When 5.2 became official, i'm giving it a try but looks like i'll be giving up and going back to semi-reliable 421, which can run my OKI printer. I think i put the wrong (latest) firefox in which turns out to be beta. It seems a step backward from 511 even if bugs were fixed. I've learned my lesson - wait for release x.3.1 to become official. By the third iteration, most bugs have been fixed and the extra bells and whistles are reintroduced. Jimho! PS. Kudos to all our developers.

My suggestion is on the official release page, differentiate as follows

Official Release Recommended

Column 1, Column 2, Column 3, Column 4

User type, Noobs, Linux users, Techies Geeks

Hardware

New Desk , 431 or 531, 521, 520

New laptop, 431 or 532, 521, 520

Old desk, 431 or ??, 431 or woof, latest woof

Old laptop xxx, yyy, zzz,

The real trick is to list caveats and limitations as much as possible, at least in the noobs column.

I see my formatting didn't turn out so i just put commas for columns

Just an idea
[color=orange]1. Dell Dimension E521, AMD Athln 64, 2 GHz 1.93GB ram,
Puppy 533 on CD, accesses flash drive only,
FFox Nightly12.0
2. Compaq P3 733Hz 375RAM
Printer: Oki C3400 > LAN [/color]

bigpup

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

#196 Post by bigpup »

whytej2 wrote:HI,
Been happily using linux since 2007 and puppy linux since 4.3.1. I have tried many distros but I have stuck with ubuntu (because i can get everything to work) and puppy linux (because its lightning fast.).

I am very pleased with puppy 5.2 but somehow I cant get the wireless to stick. I connect and every five minutes sometimes two it disconnects.

This only happens with lupu (any version) as all other distros and Puppy 4.3 maintain the connection.

I tried lighthouse pup 5.02 and I only had to set the connection the first time and whenever i booted up the connection was ever-present (does anyone know how that was achieved?). however I prefer lupu.

This wireless issue is the only show stopper at the minute. can any one please help.

Specs:
Compaq NX7010 (Laptop)
1g ram
intel pentium(r)M processor 1600Mhz
wireless=pci:lan 2100 3b mini pci adapter
module ipw2100
From Lucid Puppy News help:
Connecting to the Internet. If you have a problem connecting or staying connected, try the Network Wizard instead of Simple Network Setup. Menu -> Setup -> Internet Connection Wizard -> Internet by wired or wireless LAN -> Network Wizard. Also, check the proxy connection for your browser and set it to No Proxy, or disable Auto Detection of Proxy. That's different for each browser, but for Firefox it is Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Connection Settings. The Firefox in Quickpet is set that way by default, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

whytej2

#197 Post by whytej2 »

bigpup
Connecting to the Internet. If you have a problem connecting or staying connected, try the Network Wizard instead of Simple Network Setup. Menu -> Setup -> Internet Connection Wizard -> Internet by wired or wireless LAN -> Network Wizard. Also, check the proxy connection for your browser and set it to No Proxy, or disable Auto Detection of Proxy. That's different for each browser, but for Firefox it is Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Connection Settings. The Firefox in Quickpet is set that way by default, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
HI bigpup,

thanks or the quick reply.
I am currently doing all those things. Have been since Puppy 4.3.1
I just dont understand why it wont stay connected.
As stated before it remains connected in 4.3.1 and ubuntu and ligthouse pup 5.02

Can anyone take a look at lighthouse pup and see if there is a difference with the network wizard(s).

xman

#198 Post by xman »

I think I have same problem as whytej2. Maybe that's why Firefox (or Opera) freezes although it's set to 'no proxy'. Chrome (stable now 9.0.597.84) is better, it can tolerate this connection problem.

I have problems to connect using XP driver for wireless PC card. Still, connecting problem only exists in Lupu-520, not in Puppy-431, Quirky-130, Wary-5.0 or XP. OK, to be fair, XP sometimes notifies that net is reconnected, but the show goes on all the time.

I have used Puppy Network Wizard in older Puppies, but in Lupu-520 Simple Network Setup works better. Still, connecting fails too often. So, when BK mentioned Frisbee, I installed it from Lucid pet. It's helpful although it also often fails to wireless connect. It tries more than SNS and if it at last fails, I can help it manually easier than SNS.

Frisbee finds wired connection in seconds but I prefer wireless. I don't know if these freezing problems are concerning wired connection.

bigpup

#199 Post by bigpup »

whytej2 wrote:
bigpup
HI bigpup,

thanks or the quick reply.
I am currently doing all those things. Have been since Puppy 4.3.1
I just dont understand why it wont stay connected.
As stated before it remains connected in 4.3.1 and ubuntu and ligthouse pup 5.02

Can anyone take a look at lighthouse pup and see if there is a difference with the network wizard(s).
Maybe this will help:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59000
Also look in the wireless section of the forum:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index. ... order=DESC

playdayz

#200 Post by playdayz »

This is certainly worth a try for any network connection troubles.

Frisbee network manager

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 23&t=64472

I made a one-click Pet for Lucid 5.2 that contains frisbee, dhcpcd, xpupsay, and the wpa-supplicant--everything needed.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... ucid52.pet

My experience was to install the pet and then go to disconnect my wireless, but the Frisbee install had already done it. Then I rebooted--I am not sure that is necessary but it's always safe.

On reboot, I started laughing. xpupsay is perfectly in the spirit of puppy imho. Plus, I set up a profile for my wireless (entered the password in other words) and everything just worked.

Thanks jemimah.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 06 Feb 2011, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.