Lucid Puppy 5.2 feedback and bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

loading devices drivers needed to access disk drivers ...... done
searching for puppy files in computer disk drivers.......... pausing
searching deeper, sub-folders in partitions .............. pausing
Boot partition not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk consol........
/bin/sh; can't access tty; job control turned off.
Read here.

duke93535

#17 Post by duke93535 »

playdayz
What does it see? What do you see with htop (Menu -> System status -> htop) (how many cores?)[
When i run htop in quirky1.4 it sees all six cores and in lupu520 it only sees 4 cores.

capoverde

#18 Post by capoverde »

As posted by swiatmar in the 5.2 release thread, there are BIG problems with CD burning: tried to copy the Live-CD the two-pass way, but the reading did not start until I noticed that a small black window named "puppy" had opened in a corner up left, and closed it (all new bug!).
The reading started, but went on in an odd way and finished fixating the CD :shock: ; the ISO file I saved was only about 8MB.
The disk had been mastered as multisession as always, and now is closed. BTW, this was done after booting with pfix=ram.

* * *EDITED: it was my bad to be too impatient, the message "...command not found" remaining in the window for all the reading time made me think Pburn had frozen, whereas all was working regularly and the little black window was to be left untouched... Sorry Zigbert for a false alarm. :oops: * * *

JWM can still not be configured from the menu "JWM configuration" as for the tray size and virtual desktop number, must be set by hand.

On earlier Puppies the connection was sometimes lost on upgrading, but could be reconfigured straight on; the updated Lupu 5.2 does not connect (connects OK with pfix=ram).
Actually, I have four HDs with an updated LuPu5.2 savefile each (all with CD boot, no install), some coming from 5.11 and others from 5.16 and 5.17 - and none of them finds any ethernet connection, even setting the right driver module (which is selectable, but then declared to be missing). Also happens on another box.
Last edited by capoverde on Sun 09 Jan 2011, 22:28, edited 2 times in total.

samarai

Post Some BUGS

#19 Post by samarai »

Hello guys,
I am a chinese user,I had use LUPU for some times,and i met some troble.

There is many difference betwin Old release puppy and Lupu,
At the old puppy,It can support chinese locale well.But in the Lupu,When the chinese strings in the ANSI documents it allways show me garbled.
and when I use wireless ,the chinese ESSID just only show me a UTF-8 code..

When I was boot Lupu at first time,the xorgwizard haven't shows,and just take me to the black screen,so I reboot,and at the time when it was going to the 'black screen' I press Ctrl+C to abort ,and run xorgwizard to use vesa mode,my netbook used Atom N270 with intel g945 chipset,I can use probe mode at the old release puppy,but Lupu.

The Lupu is great,It has so more wonderful functions then the old release puppy,But itis BUG also more too,I think...
:arrow: welcome to Amoy lads' club,[url=http://xmlad.com]Xmlad.com[/url] I am Chinese' youth I'm Xiamen's lad.

earthmage

Boot Problem

#20 Post by earthmage »

Thanks for boot answer, lol. Was driving me crazy...

sci_fi

5.2 Frugal boot problem

#21 Post by sci_fi »

I am unable to boot 5.2 with a frugal install. I have been using a frugal installation with puppy using grub for many versions but my standard grub command sequence fails for 5.2.

My grub menu.lst file (/mnt/sda2/boot/grub/menu.lst) for frugal boot contains the following:

####PUPPY ######
title PUPPY 5.2.0 From sda11
kernel /pup-520/vmlinuz append PMEDIA=satahd psmouse.proto=imps
initrd /pup-520/initrd.gz

boot

title PUPPY 5.1.1 From sda11
kernel /pup-511/vmlinuz append PMEDIA=satahd psmouse.proto=imps
initrd /pup-511/initrd.gz

boot
######################################################################
#######################################################################

The commands for 5.1.1 work perfectly but for 5.2 the following occurs:

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives DONE

Searching for Puppy files
(wait perhaps 10 seconds) then
(In red) cannot find file lupu_520.sfs

System goes to cli

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have been able to successfully boot 5.2 from a CD, just not from my frugal install.

The file /mnt/sda2/pup-520 and /mnt/sda2/pup-511 contain the basic boot files.

The other files are on sda11 as:
/mnt/sda11/lupu-511.sfs
/mnt/sda11/lupu_520.sfs
/mnt/sda11/lupusave-2010_09_10.2fs

sda2 is fat16 and sda11 is ext3.

I tried deleting lupu-511.sfs to prevent confusion, but to no avail.

My guess was that perhaps verson 5.2 is timing out before it finds my .sfs file. I attempted to use the boot parameter pupsfs=... but have not been able to get this to work. The system says it cannot find my drive.

Any/all ideas welcome.

Thanks and best regards,

sci_fi

rcrsn51

#22 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your GRUB entries don't have "root" commands. Is there a reason for this?
A more standard entry would be

Code: Select all

root (hd0,10)
kernel /pup-520/vmlinuz  pmedia=atahd psmouse.proto=imps psubdir=pup-520 pdev1=sda11

sci_fi

Frugal boot problem on 5.2

#23 Post by sci_fi »

Thanks, rcrsn51

Good question. I seem to recall that many versions back I did have a root designation, but eliminated it because it was not necessary. That is, the boot worked fine without it.

Thank you for your comments. I will try modifying things along the lines of your example and report back.

best regards,

sci_fi

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

I made package of laptop goodies for Lucid 5.2 but it works also on Lucid 5.1.1.
The base packages are used in woof based Lucid 5.1.1 derivative. The released combined package is tested and finalized in Lucid 5.2.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 993#484993

sci_fi

Frugal boot problem -reply to rcrsn51

#25 Post by sci_fi »

Hello rcrsn51,

Thanks for the help. I finally got it working. This is what I ended up with in my grub menu.lst file:

##root (hd0,10)

##kernel /pup-520/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psmouse.proto=imps psubdir=pup-520 pdev1=sda11

kernel /pup-520/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psmouse.proto=imps pdev1=sda11

boot

As you can see, the root command is not required. Also, the psubdir caused trouble. The pdev1=sda11 seemed to be the key.

Working fine. One oddity that remains is that during the boot, puppy 520 shows the saved persistent home twice (same path name on index 1 and 2) thus forcing me to select during the booth. Otherwise, things seem fine.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

sci_fi

rcrsn51

Re: Frugal boot problem -reply to rcrsn51

#26 Post by rcrsn51 »

sci_fi wrote:Also, the psubdir caused trouble
The other files are on sda11 as:
/mnt/sda11/lupu-511.sfs
/mnt/sda11/lupu_520.sfs
/mnt/sda11/lupusave-2010_09_10.2fs
That's because the lupu_520.sfs file is not in the subfolder. If you put it there along with the lupusave file and got rid of any other lupsave's, I think that things would work better.
As you can see, the root command is not required.
That's not true in general.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 09 Jan 2011, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

Re: Post Some BUGS

#27 Post by nooby »

samarai wrote:Hello guys,

At the old puppy,It can support chinese locale well.But in the Lupu,When the chinese strings in the ANSI documents it allways show me garbled.

When I was boot Lupu at first time,the xorgwizard haven't shows,and just take me to the black screen,so I reboot,and at the time when it was going to the 'black screen' I press Ctrl+C to abort ,and run xorgwizard to use vesa mode,my netbook used Atom N270 with intel g945 chipset,I can use probe mode at the old release puppy,but Lupu.

The Lupu is great,It has so more wonderful functions then the old release puppy,But itis BUG also more too,I think...
I had hoped others that know more should give you advice.

I also have a computer that use n270 and intel 945. I use Fluppy and Snow Puppy on it.

I suggest you do test if these behave better. Fluppy 010 you can find here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56156

and Snow Puppy here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=483927

These both have drivers that hopefully work better on your computer.

Jemimah is Developer for Fluppy.

But about the Chinese maybe Shinobar can help he encourage all to make Local Language support for Puppy. And he is from Japan so he maybe have knowledge on what you ask.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

playdayz

#28 Post by playdayz »

What does it see? What do you see with htop (Menu -> System status -> htop) (how many cores?)[

When i run htop in quirky1.4 it sees all six cores and in lupu520 it only sees 4 cores.
Perhaps you could make a liveCD of 5.1.1 and see if there is a difference--that would be helpful. Thanks.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... pu-511.iso

playdayz

#29 Post by playdayz »

Hello guys,

This sfs prepared by shinobar should help. Download and place in /mnt/hone and then Menu -> System -> Bootmanager -> Choose which extra sfs fiiles to load....
http://219.75.239.105/puppy/lupq/opt/la ... pq-0.2.sfs

Eyes-Only

#30 Post by Eyes-Only »

Heya Playdayz! :D

Just wanted to let you know that 5.2 is running great on my Dell 2400 with 512megs RAM here! Talk about zippy-fast :shock: I haven't seen this speed since the older 1.0/2.14 days of Puppy! Just incredibly amazing how wonderful the crew outdid themselves on 5.2 this time around. Applause to all of you. If any of you are ever in Maine... ;) I'd offer to buy y'all a six pack but I can't even afford a bottle for myself! lol...

One small "bug", however, which I've come to notice one the last three builds made off the current Woof from BarryK if I may, Playdayz? ( And this would be the Wary-5.0, the Spup-5.3.0, and then this Lucid-5.2 which I'm trying, okie? I don't know about others... )

This is when I go to change around desktop icons mate? If I should move them around the screen, or even delete some in favour of others - and then reboot - they'll be back, oft-times in their same places which will cause a real jumble upon the desktop space, see what I mean? Sometimes it'll remain fine for one or two reboots, then hit me on the 3rd or 4th. Sometimes as soon as the next. It's not predictable in other words.

Remember how it used to be back in 2.0.0 and 3.0.0 series when adding the OpenOffice.sfs? How its icons would appear centre-top - and at the same time - any icons which had been deleted/moved would be returned to the desktop, all with their former icons? The behaviour is much like that. ( And for the record: Yes, in all three frugal installs I DO have the devx.sfs installed... )

Anyway, excellent work mates! I'm enjoying this 200%. Ahh! So many Puppies... so little time, eh? :wink:

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

duke93535

#31 Post by duke93535 »

playdayz

When i run htop in lupu511 or lupu520 The results are the same , the Kernel is the same in lupu511 as in lupu520. The kernel in Quirky 1.4 is 2.6.31.14, neither of the Lucids has the menu working correctly.

thanks duke

Jim1911

#32 Post by Jim1911 »

Eyes-Only wrote:This is when I go to change around desktop icons mate? If I should move them around the screen, or even delete some in favour of others - and then reboot - they'll be back, oft-times in their same places which will cause a real jumble upon the desktop space, see what I mean? Sometimes it'll remain fine for one or two reboots, then hit me on the 3rd or 4th. Sometimes as soon as the next. It's not predictable in other words.
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
To correct this problem, arrange your icons like you want them, then goto /Choices/ROX-Filer and copy PuppyPin to PuppyPinMy. Then when you add an sfs or do anything else that changes the desktop simply copy PuppyPinMy to PuppyPin and restart X to restore your desktop.

Eyes-Only

#33 Post by Eyes-Only »

AHA! Thanks Jim! Much appreciated my fellow Puppian friend! :D

Cheers/Amicalement!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

duke93535 wrote:playdayz

When i run htop in lupu511 or lupu520 The results are the same , the Kernel is the same in lupu511 as in lupu520. The kernel in Quirky 1.4 is 2.6.31.14, neither of the Lucids has the menu working correctly.

thanks duke
What is not working with the menu?

bigpup

#35 Post by bigpup »

Make a new entry in menu.lst for the new version.
I have been using Grub4dos as my only boot loader. Any time I add or remove an installed version of Puppy Linux, I run Grub4dos config. It auto finds what changes I have made and sets up the boot menu to reflect those changes. No more manual input required. It has detected every change with 100% correct results. Believe me, I have done some crazy changes to the installs of Puppy Linux while testing for Lucid 5.2.