set vesa as default

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pacer106

set vesa as default

#1 Post by pacer106 »

Hello all puppy fans out there.

I have an issue that im sure is very minor but I cant seem to find any info on it any place. So hopin someone here can point me in the right direction.

I really like Lucid Puppy but theres one major problem I keep havin.

Everytime I have to restart x my display dont come back. I end up rebooting the computer through command line. Not really a big deal but my changes to desktop icons never seem to stick.

So I was wonderin if makin vesa the only option to pick from would fix that?

I also seem to have an issue when I try a full HD install. When I reboot puppy from the HD it dont seem to keep the info for vesa. It loads up I hear the barks & then monitor turns off.

I have to use the cd and pfix=nox to get vesa again but lose it when I reboot puppy from HD. Very frustrating to say the least lol.

So if anyone could give me some pointers on how to get my HD install to use vesa without havin to use the cd and pfix=nox that would be great.

I thought about editing 1st menu to add pfix=nox to the options so I didnt have to use the cd but not sure if thats possible.

I looked at 1st menu to see how the puppy in ram option looked in there but its all greek to me and didnt make much sense lol.

I am way to new to linux for major command line work so please any help would be great :)

I am running puppy on a pentium 4 graphics card is intel & I have xorg high installed as well. Not sure if those things make a difference. If any more info is needed on my system I can try to find it any post it here.

Thanks again to all puppy fans for helpin out :)
Last edited by pacer106 on Sat 11 Jun 2011, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

pacer106

think i posted wrong

#2 Post by pacer106 »

i did not mean to post a new topic as it showed up i am sorry if someone could place this in the official 525 thread that would be good thats where i intended to post this as it pertains to the new lucid puppy 5.25 release. again im sorry i posted this wrong.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

@pacer106: With all due respect, I find your style of writing impossible to read.

You need to start sentences with capitals and end them with periods.

You need to write separate paragraphs with blank lines between them.

pacer106

sorry rcrsn51

#4 Post by pacer106 »

@ rcrsn51 I am sorry. My brain is constantly in over drive & I dont think about forming my thoughts into structured writing.

I will try to do better & I will edit my post so it makes more sense.

Again I am sorry :)

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

Yes I am like that too. Maybe you have to split it up in different posts.

Now you cover several questions in one post? So start with the vesa thing?

And let icons persistence be a separate post.
Do you see link in my sign?

That one can let you find several threads about icons as I remember.

The Vesa can be more hard to find due to hardware dependence?

a third theme you took up was how to add Puppy to the menu.lst on the Dualbooting? now when you have HD full installation too?
I would start a new thread about that one. Tehre you should tell what Windows you dual boot with.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pacer106

Thanks nooby

#6 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for the pointers on posting. Im sorry for the confusion & jumping into 5 different directions at once.

I tried several things. The questions im askin are the results of those tests.

My initial plan was a full HD install & things came up so i had to change plans.

Anywho this thread wasnt meant to be its own thread. I meant to post in lucid thread.

How do i remove the post so I can repost with more specific questions in proper threads?

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

pacer106:

Good intentions....but too much wagging of tail.

I hope someone here can sort out your requests..

Chris.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#8 Post by Béèm »

@pacer106.
You have two forums in which you can split your questions.
Beginners help
Users.
Look at the description of these forums in the index and split your questions.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

How do i remove the post so I can repost with more specific questions in proper threads?

Nope that is not allowed look here

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

One can even get in trouble if one edit any post so it get invisible.

Asking in the Lupu 525 thread is not the best option is it?

Beem and the others can give you best advice.

I am a know nothing but I would test using frugal install first and only do full install when you know what works best for you for that machine.

Or do both. Do a full install and a frugal install on same partition.

that would allow you to get knowledge from two kind of puppy users. Those that only do full install and those that do only frugal installs and them that do both. That way you reach more potential helpers.

I think that some 60% or more only use CD or do frugal install and maybe only 40% or less have full install. But I can be wrong.

Good luck
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#10 Post by Béèm »

nooby, you know that you can at any time edit your own post and replace the contents by some text like sorry.
But if someone did quote you, this text is still there.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Karl Godt

#11 Post by Karl Godt »

For the "NOX" : look into /etc/profile and change

if [ ! -f /tmp/bootcnt.txt ];then
touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
if [ -n "`grep -i 'nox' /proc/cmdline`" ] ; then
echo "Staying in console mode"
else
##[ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && exec xwin

exec xwin
fi

For vesa : do not or do load additional framebuffer drivers . Perhaps you have to look into /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and comment or uncomment "modprobe fbcon" .

Run xorgwizard , choose the vesa driver and cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak , so they look the same , and perhaps also xorg.conf0 .

xwin has already vesa as default :

DRVRCURR="`cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep '#card0driver' | cut -f 2 -d '"'`"
SPECVESA="`find /usr/lib -noleaf -mount -type f -name vesa_drv.so | head -n1`"
DRVRSPATH="`dirname $SPECVESA`"
if [ "$DRVRCURR" ];then
ls -1 $DRVRSPATH/* | grep $DRVRCURR
if [ $? -ne 0 ];then
APATTERN="s/.*#card0driver/ Driver \"vesa\" #card0driver/g"
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | sed -e "$APATTERN" > /tmp/xorg.conf.tmp2
sync
cp -f /tmp/xorg.conf.tmp2 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
fi

This part of code looks if the driver found in xorg.conf exists in /usr/lib/xorg and if the returncode is not '0' and the vesa_drv.so is there too it should replace the driver statement with vesa .

cowboy

vesa and intel

#12 Post by cowboy »

pacer106,

I notice that you are running a Pentium 4, with an intel card, which is similar to my setup. My computer has an intel 82845G, which is rather infamous for wrestling with Xorg.

I've found that the following works best for getting, and keeping, a stable desktop in Lucid Puppies: at first boot, I change the timezone and check the "numlock" box, and THEN I run the xorgwizard. At the prompt, I choose "probe" and then when presented with the choices, I choose "1024x768x24", which works well on my computer. Then I go out to the desktop, and close everything out.

Running the xorgwizard up front seems to help my stability with Puppy, as opposed to just accepting the defaults provided automatically. For most people, accepting the default is fine. But on my machine I need to run the xorgwizard. You might try this on a clean temporary savefile sometime and see if it helps you.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.