MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator

Miscellaneous tools
Pete22

Want to use Multipup

#241 Post by Pete22 »

Hello puppy friends:

I want to use multipup. I am not a die hard geek. So I have some questions.
Is this still very experimental or is it more stable now?

The changes that are suggested for the pet for Fatdog by smokey 01,
do those still need to be done? Or has that been fixed by making the pet in fatdog?

<You also need to remove the .gz from initrd.gz in the menu.lst file. >
It needs to be changed to initrd.xz correct?

I do not know how to <change cpio to get the bootsplash working >
Can someone tell me how to do this?

I would like to use lighthouse. Would I add it when it wants the fatdog link?

I assume that I can create frugal installs from the dvd to a hard drive
and then use grub4dos to load them. Is that correct?

Pets and sfs; How do you keep the x32 and x64 separate in the mnt/home
file so they can be used by more than one iso. Or is that done by multipup?
That was not covered by the video.

Anything special I need to know about the savefiles?

Pete

smokey01

#242 Post by smokey01 »

Pete,

The Fatdog version on my site works quite well.
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... 64-4.2.pet

The changes that are suggested for the pet for Fatdog by smokey 01,
do those still need to be done? Or has that been fixed by making the pet in fatdog?

Most, if not all of those fixes have been applied.

<You also need to remove the .gz from initrd.gz in the menu.lst file. >
It needs to be changed to initrd.xz correct?

No, Multipup will do this for you when you select the Fatdog option.

I'm pretty sure I have included cpio in the package so it will build the image file properly. Most puppies only have the cut down version of cpio.

I would like to use lighthouse. Would I add it when it wants the fatdog link?
No, use Series 3,4&5.

I assume that I can create frugal installs from the dvd to a hard drive
and then use grub4dos to load them. Is that correct?

Yes

Pets and sfs; How do you keep the x32 and x64 separate in the mnt/home file so they can be used by more than one iso. Or is that done by multipup? That was not covered by the video.

This just allows you to put them on the DVD for convenience. They have to be installed/loaded separately. Once you have written a bootable ISO you can't normally, well not easily, add any additional files. This method gives you that opportunity.

Anything special I need to know about the savefiles?
I wouldn't recommend creating savefiles on the DVD, although it's possible. The latest Fatdog-620b allows you to save to a directory instead of using a savefile, very nice.

I will have to review the help video as I made it quite a while ago.

Let us know how you got on.

smokey01

MultiPup-5.0

#243 Post by smokey01 »

CatDude and I have just released MultiPup-5.0
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... up-5.0.pet

There have been some serious modifications which include:

A cleaner less cluttered look.
All command buttons on the one GUI.
Will accommodate Fatdog and Lighthouse pups.
Will work with Carolina if you install Rox. Symlinking is a pain though.
New online and video help.
It works on both 32 and 64-bit OS

Fatdog users will probably have to install a full CPIO from:
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... 1-fd64.pet
The CPIO is used to make the bootsplashes.
Attachments
04-08-2013_10-45-35.png
The new look MultiPup-5.0
(73.56 KiB) Downloaded 1133 times

ASRI éducation

Re: MultiPup-5.0

#244 Post by ASRI éducation »

smokey01 wrote:CatDude and I have just released MultiPup-5.0
Thank you both.
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]

greengeek

#245 Post by greengeek »

Does this version contain fatdog in its name because it is intended to be capable of adding fatdog to the multi CD, or does it have that name because it is only able to be installed on fatdog? (I cannot get it to install on my Slacko53 system). Thanks.

ps: couldn't get it to display any help screen either.

EDIT : Looks like it did actually install...for some reason it did not seem to accept my initial choice of folder, and only continued with the install after I clicked the EXIT button. Anyway, I shall continue with testing... (hoping it doesnt grab /root as the working directory...)

CatDude

#246 Post by CatDude »

Hello greengeek
greengeek wrote:Does this version contain fatdog in its name because it is intended to be capable of adding fatdog to the multi CD, or does it have that name because it is only able to be installed on fatdog? (I cannot get it to install on my Slacko53 system). Thanks.

ps: couldn't get it to display any help screen either.

EDIT : Looks like it did actually install...for some reason it did not seem to accept my initial choice of folder, and only continued with the install after I clicked the EXIT button. Anyway, I shall continue with testing... (hoping it doesnt grab /root as the working directory...)
It doesn't have fatdog in it's name (only in the URL) and you should be able to use it in most Puppies.
Yes it is capable of adding fatdog64 and LHP64 ISO's to the MultiPup CD.

I just tested installing it in a fresh frugal install of slacko-5.3.6.5.iso
and it was working OK.

When you choose a folder, do not click into the final destination folder,
just highlight it (as shown in the attached pic)

In that pic, i was choosing to install to /mnt/home

Not sure why the help isn't displaying for you, unless you have changed/removed the default browser
and have not set the HTML Viewer to point at your new browser in the Default Applications Chooser.

It is set up to use: /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser

Hope this helps
CatDude
Attachments
choosing-folder.png
DO NOT click into the final destination folder, simply highlight it. (here my destination folder is /mnt/home)
(32.01 KiB) Downloaded 1081 times
default-apps-chooser.png
(42.84 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

greengeek

#247 Post by greengeek »

Hi Catdude and smokey01,

THIS UTILITY IS FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats and thanks to Puppyluvr for the original work done, and to all of you who have made the more recent upgrades. What an awesome programme!

I would like to make some notes about how the install and iso creation went for me (on Slacko 5.3) as it might help some other users who have not used multipup before.

1) When the installer asks you to navigate to the directory where you want to install multipup you get to choose your intended directory but then it just drops back to the basic installer screen (which has the Help, Install, Exit buttons). At this point i thought I must have done something wrong because it did not automatically proceed. The answer is that you must then press "EXIT" (which seems wrong as you feel you are shutting down the installer...). After you click EXIT it will continue with installation of the pet.

2) Once the installation is done and you run multipup it will ask you to copy your isos into the new directory. Just select "Link relative" when dragging the isos into the new directory that it opens up on screen. Multipup will then do the actual copying itself - but note that it does not have any ongoing progress bar or other indication to inform you that the copy is still in progress - so if you are copying to a location that has no LED indicator you will not know what is happening. Just be patient. The copy time will obviously be dependent on the total megabytes you are copying, and if you are transferring 600MB via a usb 1.1 port it's going to take a while...

3) After the process completed fully (copy, choose splash, create iso) it told me that the new iso was in a directory called "dvdsource" but I was initially unable to find that new iso or the "dvdsource" folder itself. What I had to do was this: navigate to the folder chosen during the installation and look for the "MultiPup-5v" icon. (It doesn't look like a directory icon...). If I click that icon it simply starts a new run of Multipup. But in fact this icon has two functions - if you leftclick it you run the programme but if you rightclick it and choose "look inside" you will see the contents of the Multipup directory and should see the "dvdsource" directory which contains your new iso.

Once I worked past these minor stumbling blocks I was very impressed to have in my hands a CD containing my favourite pups. Lovely !!

Questions:

1) If I want to ensure that the isos appear in the bootsplash in a particular order do I simply rename them with a number at the front? Example:
1_Puppy431.iso
2_Switchpup.iso
3_Akita.iso
etc etc ??
(ie: do they appear in alphabetical order, or in the order they are dragged into the Multipup iso directory?)

2) I was not able to get the HELP button to function during installation, although the HELP button in the programme itself does work ok. Is this just me or do others get the same effect if clicking help during installation?

Thanks again - fantastic utility !!
Attachments
Tux-swat.jpg
(40.41 KiB) Downloaded 1040 times

smokey01

#248 Post by smokey01 »

greengeek I will attempt to answer your questions and thank you for your kind words.
1) When the installer asks you to navigate to the directory where you want to install multipup you get to choose your intended directory but then it just drops back to the basic installer screen (which has the Help, Install, Exit buttons). At this point i thought I must have done something wrong because it did not automatically proceed. The answer is that you must then press "EXIT" (which seems wrong as you feel you are shutting down the installer...). After you click EXIT it will continue with installation of the pet.
This action is deliberate so you can read the help if you wish, if not, simply close the GUI. To run the installed application you select it from the utilities menu. Hopefully the installation GUI will only ever be used once per distribution.
Multipup will then do the actual copying itself - but note that it does not have any ongoing progress bar or other indication to inform you that the copy is still in progress - so if you are copying to a location that has no LED indicator you will not know what is happening.
Yes it does, or should have. It warns you that each file is being copied and another message pops up when all files for that series have been copied then informs you to move to the next step, which might be add more ISOS or create the menu bootsplash.
but I was initially unable to find that new iso or the "dvdsource" folder itself.
That's the purpose of the View/eye icon. It opens a window where all the Multipup files have been installed. You should see the dvdsource folder there.
Questions:

1) If I want to ensure that the isos appear in the bootsplash in a particular order do I simply rename them with a number at the front? Example:
1_Puppy431.iso
2_Switchpup.iso
3_Akita.iso
etc etc ??
(ie: do they appear in alphabetical order, or in the order they are dragged into the Multipup iso directory?)

There's a bit of yes and no here. To sort the ISO simply rename them as you indicated however, it is dependent on the order that you link them. Lets assume you have 5 ISO called 1.iso, 2.iso, 3.iso, 4.iso, and 5.iso and these names represent their Puppy series.
If you linked 1.iso to series 1, 2.iso to series 2 then 3.iso, 4.iso and finally 5.iso to the 3+ series, you will get a nice order of 1-5 as they are numbered. They sort per series and in order of series.
See the attached bootsplash. I linked series 3+ first then 1 and finally 2.
2) I was not able to get the HELP button to function during installation, although the HELP button in the programme itself does work ok. Is this just me or do others get the same effect if clicking help during installation?
My bad. I had the help linking to where the installation was to be installed before the fact, if that makes sense. I have now linked it to the originating location. You should be able to run the help on the installation GUI now. You will need to either download the MultiPup-5.0.pet again or change the path in the install script. Easier to uninstall the pet and reinstall, probably. Installing over the existing should be OK too.

Just remember, sequencing is very important. You can't build the menu system until after you have linked the ISOS and you can't build the final ISO until the bootsplash has been selected. The Pets and SFS files are not so important as they don't need a menu entry but they do need to be included before the last step, building the final ISO.

If you work from step 1, in numerical order, to step 5 as indicated on the buttons you should be fine. I also suggest newcomers view the video tutorial in the help file.

Enjoy
Attachments
splash.jpg
Menu Splash
(34.76 KiB) Downloaded 997 times

8-bit

#249 Post by 8-bit »

Would it be more user friendly to have the screen with the HELP INSTALL and EXIT buttons to change the EXIT button to a CONTINUE or NEXT name after selecting an install location?

smokey01

#250 Post by smokey01 »

Good idea 8-bit. In fact I have changed it so when it installs, it bypasses the little install GUI and opens the file chooser. Select where you wish to install, click OK and the application is launched.

smokey01

#251 Post by smokey01 »

A couple of minor changes to improve useability.

The installation process invokes a file chooser so you can install immediately. Just remember, highlight the drive/partition where you wish to install, don't enter it by double clicking.

Once you have chosen your installation location, Multipup will open from it's new location.

We have also included a more visible progress indicator when copying files.

Get it here:
http://www.smokey01.com/software/Fatdog ... up-5.1.pet

greengeek

#252 Post by greengeek »

Brilliant!! Installs easily and works very well. I will be making good use of this utility. Thanks Smokey, CatDude and Puppyluvr...

smokey01

#253 Post by smokey01 »

If your CUPs stops working after you have installed Multipup then open a console and type:

Code: Select all

chmod 755 /root /usr /usr/bin /usr/local/bin /usr/share
The Multipup-5.1.pet has been fixed and re-uploaded.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks for your assistance greengeek.

puppyluvr

#254 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Aww... My little baby is growing up. :wink:
Life has kept me out of the loop,
but its great to see such progress in my absence.
Version 5 looks great guys. Will D/L and check it out asap.
Woof!!!!
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

smokey01

#255 Post by smokey01 »

Hi puppyluvr, I hope you are pleased with our development of your baby.

The Cat and I are working on a nice little complimentary application for Multipup. Should be ready in a week or so. We have been getting a lot of good coding advice from SFR.

neerajkolte

#256 Post by neerajkolte »

Hello everyone,

I have just installed multipup 5.1 on my fatdog64-630 final.

I have just one question what is meant by series 1 ISO, series 2 ISO, series 3,4,5 ISOs.

How to know which series ISOs do I have.

Or is it just a way to get isos to appear in sequence at boot menu screen.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

RSH

#257 Post by RSH »

I think, this is dependent to the Puppy Version. So if it is Puppy 1 Series, 2 Series , 3 ... and so on.

I think also, it is caused by different combination of files included to the ISO.

But I'm not sure, of course.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

neerajkolte

#258 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks for reply RSH,

I am going to use multipup to mix Fatdog64-630 n Precise5.7.1. so they both should go in series 3+.

Personally I am just using Fatdog64 since 2 weeks, I am new to Linux.

I just want to give my friend taste of puppy but don't know how old(32 or 64 bit) is his machine.
(I could give him only precise but if he asks something basic I won't be able to tell. He doesn't have internet to ask at forum).

so I will give him both to test out.

Also can I use multipup for other live distros or is it pup specific.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

smokey01

#259 Post by smokey01 »

RSH is quite right about the series = versions. The earliest puppies like series 1/version 1 used the same filenames and had to be in the root directory of the CD. This is why you can only include one series 1 distro in MultiPup 5.1.

For what you want to do, 3+ is the correct option.

Other than puppy distros may work but no guarantees. The earlier versions of MultiPup by puppyluvr had an option to use alien distros but they did not always work.

If you do have success with other than Puppy distros, please report it in this thread.

neerajkolte wrote:Thanks for reply RSH,

I am going to use multipup to mix Fatdog64-630 n Precise5.7.1. so they both should go in series 3+.

Personally I am just using Fatdog64 since 2 weeks, I am new to Linux.

I just want to give my friend taste of puppy but don't know how old(32 or 64 bit) is his machine.
(I could give him only precise but if he asks something basic I won't be able to tell. He doesn't have internet to ask at forum).

so I will give him both to test out.

Also can I use multipup for other live distros or is it pup specific.

puppyluvr

#260 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
The earlier versions option to include alien distros proved to be very problematic. Inconsistencies in boot methods between various distros and even between versions of the same disrto, meant I was intending on removing that option anyhow.
It generally only worked with the specific version listed in the GUI. Anyhow Smokey and Catdude, great work guys!
The workaround from filemnt is great.
Kinda missed my "heros" background tho...
:wink:
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...