MultiPup CD/DVD/USB Creator

Miscellaneous tools
gcmartin

PC w/DVDRAM

#166 Post by gcmartin »

benny7440 wrote:My situation is, probably, not a common one ...
Let me start by saying that most of us have varying, differing PC configurations, so your is not uncommon.

It seems you have a DVD-RAM drive. These drives did have the ability to write a DVD-RW/DVD+RW/DVDRAM. I have booted the following DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW.

BUT, I have never created a bootable or booted from a DVDRAM. As I remember, these were suppose to be the DVD answer to a HDD, but never got off the grown because of the media companies concern along with the advancement of HDD and other off-line media advancements.

In any event, If I understand correctly, you have a system without a HDD and want to know if it is acceptable as a MultiPUP Bootable on a 512MB system without a HDD. Right? I have "deployed" a MultiPUP PC with 384MB of RAM with various versions of WARY without any issues.

So, my experience says YES!.(With a caveat: You really should get a $5-$10 USB drive and format 512MB of itf for SWAP! as this has improves performance significantly because PUP won't consume any memory for a SWAP file. I have found this to be enormously beneficial.)

Create your MultiPUP ISO on LiveCD/LiveDVD and boot away.

Hope this helps

benny7440

#167 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for responding, puppyluvr & gcmartin!

From the thread I understood that I had to d/l the .iso files I was interested in (the Puppy files or 'alien' files) & also your collection of scripts (otherwise known as MultiPup CD/DVD Creator).
Then, the latter is to be unpacked & installed (along with the corresponding Grub bootsplash images). After configuring this tool the process of preparing the final iso file starts by adding, one by one, each iso file (and maybe corrresponding sfs files). Here I must say that I understand that, basically, you create links to the bootable files within a cd. So, what if the files aren't within a cd but in a CFCard?

I already spent a few days making my mind in order to restrict my choices to something that would approach a cd size:
1) Puppy Studio = 377MB;
2) Puppy Linux 5.2.5 = 128MB;
3) DSL = ~50MB; &
4) MultiPup CD/DVD Creator = ~1MB.

Another point here is that you say that MultiPup CD/DVD Creator should be put ...somewhere, this in my case is out of the hdd. Does it makes any difference if I include (install) it within the CFCard along with the folders I already created holding my d/l's? In other words, can it be along within the cd it's going to create (not necessarily to be run from there)?
To be precise, the structure is as follows:
CFCard>[DSL] + [Lupu-525] + [Puppy-Studio] + [WINE] + [MultiPup CD/DVD Creator]. Everything between brackets ([]) is a distinct folder containing de corresponding d/ls. The CFCard is a ~2GB one (ext3 filesystem).

As a closure to this I should say that I understand that MultiPup CD/DVD Creator isn't for installing anything but to arrange things in a folder to be, later, burned to a cd/dvd.

Now to gcmartin; in fact, I'm booting PL5.1 from a livecd in this machine. In relation to the swap file I think that if what I'm pretending to do is possible then that card may contain enough space for doing it, or I may use a 128MB one from the usb port for that purpose.

PS. A few months ago I tried to do this thing using Grub in both variants. It didn't worked then for me, although I exhuasted myself instead of all the possibilities there were...

gcmartin

One MP approach

#168 Post by gcmartin »

I see that you referenced expanding ISOs into a folder. That has gotten me a littlle confused on the need for expanding. I'm probably misunderstanding.

Here;s how I use MultiPUP.(MP)
Assume MP has been installed
  1. I download my ISOs into a single folder.
  2. Then I start MP
  3. I take the 1st line of 1st tab and click following its prompts
  4. Then I do the next line and then the next and so-on until I've done all of them to my satisfaction.
When its done, I have a ISO presented me by MP

I burn that ISO to DVD and boot that LiveDVD. It presents me with a Menu of ALLof the distros for each item that I had built from the MP menu.

It sounds like you are getting that far, right?

puppyluvr

#169 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Having re read this again, I think I see now.. :idea:
Booting from MultiPup uses Grub for the menu and individual Puppies...
But the ISO, as a whole, still uses isolinux to boot..
So I think the dilemma is will it boot from a DVD-RAM disk set as a hard drive...
IDK, as Ive never used a DVD-RAM, but I assume that if Puppy will see it as a HDD, MultiPup becomes unnecessary, except maybe as an easy way to create Grub, and the folders necessary, for a frugal install..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

DPUP5520

#170 Post by DPUP5520 »

I don't know if I just skipped over where it said what alien distros were supported but I looked through the thread and only saw dsl and knoppix mentioned. is there support for memtest86+ or dban in this as they are two essentials that I use (don't like memtester which I compiled for puppy) and have been using xboot and Sardu to create a multi distro cd's but they are ugly and non-customizable (in addition to having to use Windows and only supports Puppy 5.x)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

Max Headroom

MemTest86+ Yes Please PuppyLuvr

#171 Post by Max Headroom »

:D MemTest86+ Yes Please PuppyLuvr

& Thanx Again 4 MultiPup

:)K

puppyluvr

#172 Post by puppyluvr »

The current MultiPup Alien Distro menu..
As for memtest86, I just figured you`d boot Puppy and use it, but...OK
I`ll put it in, with some GUI improvements, and a few more things, in a bit...
ATM Japan has me obsessed...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Max Headroom

Please Help Mr Stansbury or CatDude

#173 Post by Max Headroom »

I Have Sucksesfully Used Version 3.3 & am Happy w/ the Result, But I Really Want 2 Create Several more different MultPups...
is this a Timing Problem?
if so can I adjust it?
But I'd Require Y'r Assistance, Please!

puppyluvr

#174 Post by puppyluvr »

Error Message Failed Mounting or UnMounting
I got that error when trying to run it from a location inside my save..
Do you have MultiPup installed on an ext2/3 partition, and OUTSIDE of your pupsave file??
If not....
Look in /mnt , you may have to delete some stuff it created in there...
IE..dvdsource...
In my tests, when I did that, it created dvdsource in /mnt, and tried to mount /root there.!!! Overflowed my save.. :(
Hence the warning, "Even if it will let you, do not run from within your save file.." It should not run there, but some FS allow it to...Depends on Rox seeing the FS as ext2/3...Usually, inside a save, Rox returns "unknown file system", and MultiPup quits...But not always, not in every Puppy...
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

benny7440

#175 Post by benny7440 »

Ok, I'm back!
Downloaded the Multipup creator & installed it, apparently it worked fine. Had some trouble with the installation of some PET files but at the end they too got recognized. I've some doubts though; for instance, I wanted to include DSL but never saw an 'Alien' button to put it there so, having seen its version, put it along with the other Puppy (Lucid/Lupu version 5.25). At the end of the process I saw that my 'Alien' space was empty. Supposed then that I have done something wrong...

I decided to continue, thinking that a big file was about to be formed in my
ext3 partition in sda3 of a hdd but when I closed the Multipup windows the ISO file that was looking at disappeared, too. Anyway, I was not planning to burn my last cd with it under the circumstances, I wanted to be sure that I was following the instruction ok. The total cd space to be used as per Multipup was a little less than 600 MB, so in this respect I was ok.

Since I'm booting up from a live Lucid 511 cd with just 512 MB of RAM without a Pupsave file (which I tried to do including an SFS file along with it within an empty partition in the hdd, but at boot time it stopped with a 'kernel panic' message, so have to resort to boot option:<puppy pfix=ram>) I think that almost all that I've done today is lost. In fact, the machine almost freezes up at one point.

I read the instructions twice, at the webpage within the forum & at the tab
included within Multipup itself to be sure I was about to do things correctly.
Since things got wrong today I'm pausing this project until tomorrow. Until
then, I would like to know if it's more than convenient, imperative to have a
Frugal installation first for this to work or it's not?

The said hdd isn't mine, I'm just trying to find & backup some files important
to the owner. So, I don't want to do something that might interfere with that.
Within the circumstance, is it a good idea to consider the "Lin'N'WinNewbieProject"?

puppyluvr

#176 Post by puppyluvr »

LOL... The "Alien" button is well hidden... Hey, its MultiPUP... 8)
Directly below the "Welcome to the MultiPup CD/DVD Creator" logo,
is a set of tabs..."MultiPup" and "More"...
The last entry under "More" is "Click to add Alien Distros"...

The GUI warns you to Copy your ISO somewhere before you shut it down...

Oh yea...Your ISO it still there until you reopen MultiPup, when it resets itself..
But when you close the main window, the children close too... No orphans that way... If you have not restarted it yet, you can still copy it to somewhere...
Go to the Directory where you installed MultiPup...
Find the dir icon... It is an apprun, so..
DONT click it, it will reset and restart..
RIGHT CLICK it and choose "look inside"..
The ISO`s are formed in /dvdsource... :wink:

As the readme says, the only real requirements are an ext2/3 partition, and a LOT of space..Double your intended ISO size...And do not install it inside your pupsave...

As for Frugal/Full installs, IDK, cause I only use Frugal.
With a Full install, it may need to be run from a pfix=ram boot..
Guess I missed that one... :oops:
Anyone tried it???

Just click the icon where you installed it..
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

benny7440

#177 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for responding puppyluvr! Last year I browsed the web for instructing myself in possible ways for doing what your Multipup does but ended up in a dead end (too complex). For that & also for offering others a convenient/'simple' way of not only using normally wasted space but, more important than that, the ability to experience various, related or not, os's. I think I know that there're probably a lot of people using Puppy Linux for years but have tied themselves to a couple of versions. This tool enables them to try others &, hopefully, encounter a more perfect one for their specific computer usage.

Thank you for your indications on how to use the gui, I'll keep my eyes wide open next time.

PS. I was thinking of a possible way to add a new functionality to Multipup. Why not saving the appropriate data for the preparation of the 'Master ISO file' somewhere maybe as a log in text format & then enable by constructing or finding the right script to add even more ISO files located somewhere else, i.e., other open-burned cd's, flash drives or even a suitable hdd partition? Just a probably crazy idea...

gcmartin

#178 Post by gcmartin »

benny7440 wrote: ... was not planning to burn my last cd ...
You (and others) may find this info useful.

There is an easy way to setup your MultiPUP (after successful build) so that you DONT have to create a CD/DVD. If the PC you intend to boot using the MultiPUP ISO, see the document section here. Or see this discussion thread.

You can test, craft, and make changes appropriately before having to BURN a CD/DVD. its easy.

Hope this helps

benny7440

#179 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks, gcmartin, for the links! After inspecting the links I see it has something to do with networking (a theme not well understood by me). I also saw some apis that I can't recognize nor used before: DNSMASQ & Netboot.

I just use (mainly) this old notebook for web browsing, reading email & experimenting with some programs/os(s). I 'think' I still have a desktop that was running Ubuntu (mainly), but since it's located in a room I seldom used it. A few months ago the Ubuntu installation got crashed (kept asking me the pwd but didn't recognized it as good). It has 2 different hdd (in size & mfgr.), so I was thinking of trying to explore the idea of establishing a wifi network with this VAIO: mainly for file sharing between the machines. Also, this VAIO has no proper hdd; I'm using one right now but lets consider it a borrowed one; so that machine has the capacity of holding my files linked with this VAIO.

If you explain me, now with these facts in sight, that what you suggests me in your post still applies I'll make an effort to instruct myself in these 'new waters'.

Ted Dog

grub2 site and its backup down any source?

#180 Post by Ted Dog »

puppyluvr ,
Nice work. Lot nicer than my old one liner. had to edit config by hand and open and copy iso into same folder.

Code: Select all

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0 -D -R -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \.
Would you have a copy of grub2 source tar ball hanging about? The gnu.org sites for grub2 have been offline for quite a long time.

gcmartin

Using your LAN to boot MultiPUP on a PC versus HDD/CD/DVD

#181 Post by gcmartin »

benny7440 wrote:Thanks, gcmartin, for the links! ... If you explain me, how ... .
Sorry for this delay. I just got this.

Really simple to do. @Benny7440 .Check your PM.

puppyluvr

#182 Post by puppyluvr »

Anybody using this???
I am Lead Dog of the
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

Max Headroom

Yes Please J, I'm still Keen on the intended inclusion of Me

#183 Post by Max Headroom »

Also PuppyLuvr Mate, I've been Meaning 2 ask U about including Links 4 Y'r Classic BuddaPups & Budda Dingo, somehow Me iso of 215 got Corrupted, & it just so happens that Y'r Trilogy will Fit Comfortably on a 700 Mb CD, an ideal & Nostalgic MultiPup / Dingo eNLightenment Demo!

Please, Seasons Greetings & Thanx!

:D

Ps I've Also Posted a Message 2 U Over in the Compiz Thread...

gcmartin

Should have mentioned your product in the 2011 high-lights.

#184 Post by gcmartin »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Anybody using this???
YES, Yes, yes!

This is a masterful product. And, it, too, is one of new starlings we have in 2011. Didn't mean to overlook this.

Also, for those who havent tried it, not only does this work to make available multiple PUPs in a single ISO, JamesBonds Netboot utility will take the Multi-PUP ISO and present on your LAN for booting by other PCs across you LAN. When this ISO is used, the booting PC has a choice of which PUP he wants to boot from the MultiPUP Menu.

Thanks PuppyLuvr for this product.

nancy reagan

Have a look

#185 Post by nancy reagan »

Here's a link to exton's (exton seems to be an old newcomer ?) listing amongst others Exton's multiboot cd, containing lupu 518 amongst other minilinux's.

Contains also an instruction for installing to usb.

Haven't tried it yet but might interest you ?

http://linux.exton.net/english