HowTo: Convert mov,avi,mkv to mpeg1,or mp4,or avchd?

Booting, installing, newbie
Makoto

#61 Post by Makoto »

Basically, the tech is just parroting the CYA information the company established beforehand, and little more than that. :( He doesn't really know anything about the problem, and I'd doubt you'd get anyone on the line who WILL be of much more help.

(Optimistic, I'm not. It's not as though Sony-brand USB drives are THAT much different than any other USB drive out there... unless they've got some sort of DRM lurking, an exclusive flag to tell the TV it's working with Sony(TM) brand hardware... something. :shock:

"Here, it plays these specific video containers. But even we don't know what specifics those videos need to meet, or what you need to do to get them to play. If you call Tech Support, we'll just lead you around in circles. Press any key to continue."

...okay, okay, I'll stop the silly rant, now. :oops: I don't have it in for Sony, or anything, really; I just find it unlikely you're going to get anywhere with the support techs you've been talking to. :) )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Sylvander

#62 Post by Sylvander »

SUCCESS No1 :D

1. Installed the Firefox add-on = "Easy Youtube Video Downloader".

2. Used it to download a short video from Youtube [it really was easy! :D ], converting it to mp4 as it downloaded to the only partition on my 4GB Flash Drive [FAT32 at /mnt/sdc1].

3. It played on the PC just fine, so....

4. Took it to the TV and connected it, and the file played just fine on the TV.

5. Here are the properties of the file:
Name = AiR.mp4
VIDEO:
Codec 4CC: H264
Image size: 480 x 270
Aspect ratio: 1:1
Frame rate: 29.917 fps
Frame count: 19 332 frames
Total duration: 00:10:46.187
--------------------------------
Extra Video Properties:
Global Motion Compensation: No
Packed bitstream: No
Quarter pixel: No
--------------------------------
AUDIO:
Codec: AAC
Channels: Stereo
Bitrate: 16000Bps/128kbps
Variable bitrate: No
Frequency: 44100Hz
Total duration: 00:07:45.472
File size: 7.10MB
-------------------------------

5. Wonder what would happen if I converted this to a file type that won't play on the TV, then converted it back, and tried it on the TV once again?

bodbozzle

#63 Post by bodbozzle »

2. Used it to download a short video from Youtube [it really was easy! Very Happy ], converting it to mp4 as it downloaded to the only partition on my 4GB Flash Drive [FAT32 at /mnt/sdc1].
Possibly you just have wrapped the audio- and video-file from youtube (.flv-container) in a new container (mp4).

About the codec formats on youtube:
"...The default video stream is encoded in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format, with stereo AAC audio. ..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youtube#Quality_and_codecs
Much success!

Sylvander

#64 Post by Sylvander »

1. "The default video stream is encoded in H.264/MPEG-4 AVC format, with stereo AAC audio"
(a) This appears to be what the TV's renderer needs to be given.
These certainly result in success. :D

(b) But what if I were to convert to a different unsupported filetype during the download?
Would that filetype then fail to play on the TV?

2. I'm able to directly download/stream videos from Youtube using the TV and the remote, because I have a USB dongle = "Network Interface", that connects to the router up at the PC, thence to the broadband modem and out to the web.
But that's just an alternative method of playing Youtube content.
Browsing Youtube is better using the PC and a web-browser.

Makoto

#65 Post by Makoto »

...well, sure, if the TV doesn't support the format, I'd imagine it wouldn't play. :P

I should probably note that YouTube's HD videos are usually already packaged in an MP4 container, as far as I've seen. A YouTube downloader (I can't speak for the downloader+converters) should give you a 'high quality' download option. The highest quality and largest file-size video is probably an MP4. :)

Yeah, the Samsung BD player I had (before it inexplicably decided to brick itself during a firmware update) allowed me to browse YouTube, but the interface was rather clunky. Selecting letters and numbers as I would on my cellphone would probably have been easier. :roll:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Sylvander

#66 Post by Sylvander »

1. I've now downloaded from Youtube to mp4, 2 short videos, and a major movie.
All 3 worked just fine, and the quality was good also.
So I've cracked that one. :D
I'll do some experimenting when I have the time and inclination.

(a) Ever noticed that you either have time but no money->[unemployed or retired], or else money but no time->[young,able, and working hard], or BOTH no time and no money->[poor job, poorly paid, working hard]...
The secret is to have both the time AND the money! :D 8)
And by that time you may be too old to care.
So think hard and well whilst still young, and do your best to get the balance right.

Makoto

#67 Post by Makoto »

...but what if the Universe clearly hates you, as it does me? :D

Real Life knows better than to give me free time...

RetroTechGuy

#68 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Sylvander wrote:1. I've now downloaded from Youtube to mp4, 2 short videos, and a major movie.
All 3 worked just fine, and the quality was good also.
So I've cracked that one. :D
I'll do some experimenting when I have the time and inclination.

(a) Ever noticed that you either have time but no money->[unemployed or retired], or else money but no time->[young,able, and working hard], or BOTH no time and no money->[poor job, poorly paid, working hard]...
The secret is to have both the time AND the money! :D 8)
And by that time you may be too old to care.
So think hard and well whilst still young, and do your best to get the balance right.
So Sylvander, just when you thought it was safe to go back into the web... It sounded like you finally got 264 running, and...

http://www.edn.com/blog/Brian_s_Brain/4 ... o_More.php
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Sylvander

#69 Post by Sylvander »

Yes, I'd already seen that reported on the PC-Guide forums.

Guess I'll just need to take things as they come. :(

Pelo

Ffconvert 1.3.1 can screencast, video format is MPG,

#70 Post by Pelo »

Ffconvert 1.3.1 can screencast, video format is MPG, accepted by You Tube and Facebook. Movie is tiny. I tried to change to 852x480 for Youtube, But the ffConvert Crashed
Keep cool, ffconvert works before making available your movie. It will send you a message when job is finished
or my first tries, i did not get audio working. I am learning. I use Avidemux to add my comments.
Attachments
convert.jpg
convert working hard
(56.76 KiB) Downloaded 83 times