Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 14:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puplite 5.0
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 14 [205 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Sat 26 Feb 2011, 18:30    Post subject: ?  

Hi Scott,

Going to dld soon and give it a try.

1. Where to dld and

2. what for the dev 4 sfs something something.

3 First to be converted ?

3.1 and if so, how and what with ?

4 Thought you said before that the pets of the 5 series were gong to be usable on this version ?
BHINTZ

PostPosted: Sat 26 Feb 2011, 21:14    Post subject: middle wheel on mouse  

Just a quick note - 5.0 wary kernel - mouse works correctly. The reverse middle wheel bugged me in 4,0 and I never came close to figuring out a way to fix it.

This works really well so far

thanks

bob
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb 2011, 01:32    Post subject: Serial Modems  

Hi:

I found no references to dial up modems. Does Puplite include a dialer program ? Is there a driver for serial modems?
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb 2011, 09:08    Post subject: Re: ?  

nancy reagan wrote:
Hi Scott,

Going to dld soon and give it a try.

1. Where to dld and

Hi nancy, it is in the first post of this thread.

nancy reagan wrote:
2. what for the dev 4 sfs something something.
3 First to be converted ?
3.1 and if so, how and what with ?

The devx file is used for compiling apps (building them from source). The k2.6.32.28 version only supports sfs4 files. So the standard puppy 4 devx sfs (link also in first post) needs to be converted to sfs4 - but ONLY for users of puplite k2.6.32.28.

This is easy. Download it. Then right click on it, choose 'Convert SFS' and choose the folder you want to use, then after conversion, look in that folder and you will have the new devx, in sfs4 format.

You can right click on the new one and choose 'Load SFS' to load it.

nancy reagan wrote:
4 Thought you said before that the pets of the 5 series were gong to be usable on this version ?

They are. After you install the "Puppy 5 Compatibility". Just go to "Menu->System->Puppy 5 Compatibility" and install it.

BUT - it is not entirely recommended - if you absolutely want to use lots of Puppy 5 apps, then probably best to use Puppy 5! Wink

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb 2011, 09:11    Post subject: Re: middle wheel on mouse  

BHINTZ wrote:
Just a quick note - 5.0 wary kernel - mouse works correctly. The reverse middle wheel bugged me in 4,0 and I never came close to figuring out a way to fix it.

This works really well so far

thanks

bob

Very Happy Glad you like it. The wary kernel version is a bit of a mongrel, but it works quite well, I think.
Glad the bug is gone for you, as I have no idea how it got in there!! Wink

Last edited by sc0ttman on Sun 27 Feb 2011, 09:22; edited 1 time in total
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb 2011, 09:20    Post subject: Re: Serial Modems  

Frank Cox wrote:
Hi:

I found no references to dial up modems. Does Puplite include a dialer program ? Is there a driver for serial modems?

Err... I'm sooooo not an expert on dialup stuff.. I have not removed any network stuff EXCEPT Roaring Penguin - which is not in Puplite, as it required tcl/tk.

However, you can easily install tcl/tk and roaring penguin through the PPM in Puplite. Or download them direct from the puppy 4 pet packages ibiblio repo.. Link in the first post.

NOTE: You may not need to install tcl/tk at all, as Pupite 5.0 includes jimtcl - a tiny tcl interpreter, which may work.

As for serial modems, if it worked in Puppy 4, it will work here, if it doesn't work in Puppy 4, probably not here either.

Hope that helps Frank.. sorry I can't be more 'useful'.

UPDATE: If you get the k2.6.32.28 version, then anything that works in Wary 5.1 will work as well...

So for serial modems, check the Wary 5 or Puppy 4 compatibility!

Frank Cox

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb 2011, 15:14    Post subject: Re: Serial Modems  

Hi Scottman:

That is all I needed to know, if you did not remove it the support for dialup in 4 is as good as it gets.
Thanks
AndrewG

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 15:10    Post subject: pupsave  

Hi
I have a problem with pupsave
I use 400mhz wyse terminal. I've installed puplite on internal 256mb flash memory and created pupsave on external usb pendrive.
This pendrive has 2 partitions
first is vfat, second one is formatted to ext2

1. when booting from internal 256mb flash, pupsave is not loaded
Why???

2. when booting from usb pendrive, I'm able to load pupsave manually. There is a promt during loading
But I have problem during installing any pack. There is an error "... not enought room to uncompress...", like posted here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28254&sid=7dac7a4cf6024420596c1f7f2716da44

do you have any fix for that ?
thanks in advance
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 16:08    Post subject: Re: pupsave  

AndrewG wrote:
Hi
I have a problem with pupsave
I use 400mhz wyse terminal. I've installed puplite on internal 256mb flash memory and created pupsave on external usb pendrive.
This pendrive has 2 partitions
first is vfat, second one is formatted to ext2

1. when booting from internal 256mb flash, pupsave is not loaded
Why???

Is it kept in a location that matches the paths in your menu.lst?

You may need to check the boot options in your menu.lst, check the paths are correct, also the "pmedia=usb" (or similar) may be required.

What is the file name of the save file? (It should be "pup_save.2fs", or "pup_save.3fs")

Also, how did you install it? The recommended method is the Frugal Intaller, in the menu.

And how did you create the save file? Did you use the PupSaveConfig tool that loads automatically at first shutdown?

AndrewG wrote:
2. when booting from usb pendrive, I'm able to load pupsave manually. There is a promt during loading

This 'prompt' makes me think that you maybe have a non-standard name or location for your save file..

AndrewG wrote:
But I have problem during installing any pack. There is an error "... not enought room to uncompress...", like posted here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28254&sid=7dac7a4cf6024420596c1f7f2716da44

do you have any fix for that ?
thanks in advance

I think this is because you do not have enough RAM, or the main SFS is on a partition that is too small...

Try creating a 'swap file' on your USB .... Go to "Menu->System->Swapfile Manager".. This might help, it acts like having more RAM

AndrewG

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 18:27    Post subject:  

Thank you for quick reply, Scott..

When I install Frugal on internal 256MB it doesn't boot up.
There is just blinking cursor on black screen

This is menu.lst which do not work
title Pup 420 (sda1/lite)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /lite/initrd.gz
kernel /lite/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=lite pfix=fsck
initrd /lite/initrd.gz

I also tried pmedia=atahd with no success

so, I did
Option2.
I installed through universal installer with the option Internal Flash drive
This is my working extlinux.conf
label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz ide=nodma pmedia=ataflash nosmp

With this option, pupsave located on external usb pendrive doesn't work
Also, entire puppy is loading to RAM Sad

Option3.
Boot from USB and use pupsave from the USB, but in this option I got an error during installation "not enough room to unpack.." Sad

I always use the PupSaveConfig tool that loads automatically at first shutdown

What do u mena by this "a non-standard name or location for your save file.."
I use pup save config to create folder and file name with different names to recognize them later on

I have 256MB of RAM and 256MB on internal flash drive

Do you think swap on usb flash will help, coz it can destroy flash drive after some time
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar 2011, 19:16    Post subject:  

Hi AndrewG,

I think a swap file may get around the issue, but yes it will shorten the life of your drive (maybe a lot)..

It seems as though your setup is fine, the boot options look OK...
Not sure what's going on, but after reading the other thread, and having a quick think, it does seem to be a lack of memory...

I would try a re-install with the Frugal Installer, and use a swap file, or go for a full HD install on the internal flash drive (if possible)...

But, as I say, it sounds like a limited memory issue...

And as a note, Puppy (nearly) always loads into RAM, without a save file.... especially frugal installs.

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 07:13    Post subject:  

Just a quick note to people with limited memory; Puplite uses a zdrv (a separate sfs file with all the drivers) and I included the "zdrv cutter", as well.

So, if you can boot without a save file, but cannot seem to use one, and you have limited memory, it may help to use the "zdrvcutr" tool to remove all the unneeded drivers from your "zdrv_420.sfs" file.

To do this, you type 'zdrvcutr' in the terminal, then when it finishes, replace your old zdrv with your new one (or rename the old one, so you still have it!)

WARNING: Be sure to have all your extra devices and drives plugged in and loaded, before running zdrvcutr, so you can use these devices with your new, smaller zdrv!

grimoire

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 09:18    Post subject:  

Hi! scottman, Have you tested some portableapps in puplite 5.0? it seems none of it doesn't work. Do you have any idea how can I make it work? Smile
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar 2011, 11:06    Post subject:  

grimoire wrote:
Hi! scottman, Have you tested some portableapps in puplite 5.0? it seems none of it doesn't work. Do you have any idea how can I make it work? Smile

If you mean the stuff from http://portablelinuxapps.org/, then thhese packages are built for newer systems..

At the very least, you probably need to install the "Puppy 5 compatibility" pet in "Menu->Setup".
I would boot using the "pfix=ram" option, then try it...

(This pet is experimental!)

EDIT : after testing, I have no idea what is going on, especially as I never used the portableapps stuff... They all give info about mounting something in the terminal...

I'm guessing, as all the compatible systems listed are newer than Puppy 4, that they're not supported. But I may be wrong.

EDIT AGAIN:

Rename the downloaded packages, install the "puppy 5 compatibility" thing, restart X, and then try it... I got further after renaming the packages. EXAMPLE: I renamed the deadbeef file to simply 'deadbeef'.

Then I got the "GLIBC_2.7 not found" error, in the terminal, so the puppy 5 compatibility thing may fix it.

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sat 05 Mar 2011, 07:35    Post subject:  

Anyone using this, might like to try SJPPLOG, the jQuery PPOG, instead of the standard PPLOG included in Puplite.

SJPPLOG is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65482

Page 10 of 14 [205 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: