VirtualBox for many Puppies

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
Geoffrey

#16 Post by Geoffrey »

TheAsterisk!

I'll see if it will run in the original Quirky 1.20, there should be no reason that it won't with a couple of updates, I'll let you know how it go's

Geoffrey

Edit

Well I can confirm that virtualbox-4.0.2-k2.6.33.2-lupu5.pet works with Quirky1.20, it doesn't need all of the video drivers installed only
libGL.so.1.2, libGLU.so.1.3.060502 and the system links to them libGL.so.1 and libGLU.so.1 as well as SDL-1.2.14-q1.pet
I would imagine that is all that is required for Quirky1.20NOP also
Download for SDL-1.2.14-q1.pet ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dist ... .14-q1.pet

Here are the /usr/X11R7/lib files
Attachments
quirky-virtualbox.jpg
(54.24 KiB) Downloaded 3539 times

TheAsterisk!

#17 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I've added a package for Wary 5 and for Quirky 1.4, and made notes for those in both the packages guide and the dependencies text file.

I also added notes for sc0ttman's puplet "Puplite." I tested version 4.0, but it's probably more or less the same for earlier versions of Puplite.
Puplite sometimes encounters trouble starting the vbox services at installation, so I added a note on how to restart the service, too.

Finally got around to linking back to this thread in the HTML page, just in case anyone gets linked to that from elsewhere.

BHINTZ

#18 Post by BHINTZ »

Is there some special requirement to get sound working in Virtualbox. I have tried two different computers with lupu520 and vbox402. Everything seems fine except sound.

I have tried different puppies and even windows xp, so I am guessing it something to do with vbox.

any suggestions would be welcome.

bob

nooby

#19 Post by nooby »

Cool thanks indeed I have longed for to have Vbox in Lupu 511 and 520.

I want to use it for running TCL so I learn how to use it. :) TCL can not use NTFS so if I format the virtual drive to be Ext2 then it should be able to save my changes.

Has any of you tested if TCL works fast in Vbox? Being only 10MB it should be able to run in half the memory I give it?

As I know Vbox ask for how much of Ram that it take from Puppy to run in so Puppy don't crash? so say I have 500MB or Puppy to run Vbox and 500MB for Vbox with TCL loaded?

I did dl and installed and run ran it too but I need how to get an iso installed on it as guest. Maybe there are forums for beginners of vbox?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

TheAsterisk!

#20 Post by TheAsterisk! »

BHINTZ wrote:Is there some special requirement to get sound working in Virtualbox. I have tried two different computers with lupu520 and vbox402. Everything seems fine except sound.

I have tried different puppies and even windows xp, so I am guessing it something to do with vbox.

any suggestions would be welcome.

bob
I'm afraid something about Lucid Puppies 510, 511 and 520 just doesn't work as expected. It's a known issue; there's a note about it at the bottom of my little packages-chooser HTML page.
To get sound in the guest system, you lie to VBox and tell it the host uses PulseAudio or OSS instead of Puppy's actual ALSA. While this works to enable the guest's sound, though, Puppy then can't use sound while a VM is running.
I'll attach a screen shot showing the menu where you can make the change.

If simultaneous sound for both host and guest is a critical requirement for you, you can run VirtualBox on another Puppy version or you can install VMware Player, which doesn't seem to have any similar audio issues. (My thread for VMware Player is here.)
Alternatively, I had previously made packages for an older version of VBox ( 3.2.8 ), and they don't have any such audio issues. The thread is here if you want to try that option.
nooby wrote:Cool thanks indeed I have longed for to have Vbox in Lupu 511 and 520.
I have a certain fondness for testing other distros in VBox, too! :lol: That's precisely why I keep making these packages!
I did dl and installed and run ran it too but I need how to get an iso installed on it as guest. Maybe there are forums for beginners of vbox?
If you would please reference the bottom of my packages-chooser page (here), it contains links to all kinds of stuff, from notes about the Lucid audio issue discussed above to the guest additions *.iso.
Attachments
lucid-510-511-520_audio.png
Audio Settings Kludge - Screen Shot
(34.08 KiB) Downloaded 2644 times

nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

Thanks I take a look at it if all other means to get TCL going fails. And I need it also for things like Ubuntu and Mint and Ultimate and Arch linux and such that fail to boot in frugal install.

I made a bookmark to your site.

sc0ttman

#22 Post by sc0ttman »

TheAsterisk! wrote:I also added notes for sc0ttman's puplet "Puplite." I tested version 4.0, but it's probably more or less the same for earlier versions of Puplite.
Puplite sometimes encounters trouble starting the vbox services at installation, so I added a note on how to restart the service, too.
Just to let you know, while using these packages in Puplite, I had trouble getting the 'all kernels' version to work, but the version made for 2.6.25.16 works every time :) Good stuff
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

BHINTZ

#23 Post by BHINTZ »

many thanks. It works just fine and I do not anticipate needing both working at the same time.

Does one of your versions work in fluppy? I tried the universal one and it would not start.

bob

nooby

#24 Post by nooby »

Am I alone having this problem?
It says: Spawning session and then nothing happens. But it still works but I wonder what it does?

In ubuntu forums they say one should recompile the kernel
I am using lupu250 and that one does have some ubuntu in it so is that related?

TheAsterisk!

#25 Post by TheAsterisk! »

BHINTZ wrote:Does one of your versions work in fluppy? I tried the universal one and it would not start.
It ought to work if you have the kernel source and devx SFS modules installed, but I've never tested it on Fluppy. If that would be a popular package, though, I could try making a package in a few days (I'll be a bit too busy until maybe Thursday, I'm afraid).
EDIT (24 Feb.) - Since version 4.0.4 is out, when I package up those I'll try to add one for Fluppy while I'm at it.
nooby wrote:Am I alone having this problem?
It says: Spawning session and then nothing happens. But it still works but I wonder what it does?
In ubuntu forums they say one should recompile the kernel
I am using lupu250 and that one does have some ubuntu in it so is that related?
Well, I'm not sure what the cause might be, but the kernel is probably fine. You might want to try recompiling the VBox drivers with the following command:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
That should do it, but you'll need to install the kernel source and devx SFS modules first.
sc0ttman wrote:Just to let you know, while using these packages in Puplite, I had trouble getting the 'all kernels' version to work, but the version made for 2.6.25.16 works every time. :) Good stuff.
Hmm...
You (or WOOF- I'm not sure exactly how you built your puplet) didn't change the way that Puplite handles the pinstall.sh script(s), did you? That's how I get the all_kernels package to compile the drivers at installation, and it's also how I (try to) get the compiled packages to start up the VBox services right away.
If Puplite's PPM or equivalent just isn't running the install scripts, for whatever reason, then that would explain things neatly.
If there's a change I can make to those scripts to make Puplite + VBox installations work better, please let me know.

UPDATE 26 Feb.: I've made packages for VBox 4.0.4, and the simpler pinstall.sh scripts they're using are working for me in Puplite 4.0 and in 5.0 (both kernels). I've included them in the package chooser HTML page, too.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sat 26 Feb 2011, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

yosi666

Nice!

#26 Post by yosi666 »

Working nicely in Wary 5 after installing libSDL 1.2 :D

sc0ttman

#27 Post by sc0ttman »

is it possible to compile vbox without any GUI? if so, how small would it be?

EDIT: I read up a bit on this, and while it can be compiled with no GUI, apparently it needs to be complied on a system with X installed, and it still asks for QT libs, even when compiling with no GUI...

Well, that's all good, it can be compiled with no GUI, which is nice because I am thinking about making a gtkdialog frontend for vbox..

I have found myself using the QT menu less and less once a VM (guest OS) is setup, in favour of the command-line. While a gtkdialog GUI would be missing a lot of run-time features, I basically don't want much of a GUI once the guest OS has loaded..

Also, I'm guessing that a vbox 'headless' (or no GUI) setup, loaded from a nice and small GUI, might be slightly less resource-intensive when the guest OS is actually up and running.
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Darkgame

#28 Post by Darkgame »

ive wanted to use vbox on puppy, for a 'portable' gamimg usb drive.
How do u install from sfs?
Or can anyone make or upload the pet version?
I saw it once,4.0.0, but i deleted by pupsave by accident and the pet is now gone?!

fenex2004

#29 Post by fenex2004 »

Darkgame,
What version Puppy are you using? The newest (Lupu 5.2) has the vbox sfs - check quickpet under sfs tab. When you first run it it will tell you that there is a new version (4.0.4) available and direct you to the website. then just unzip the tarball. that is how I installed it.
Only problem i'm having is that it is slow due to the memory requirements - i'm running it on a laptop with very little memory and slow CPU, so everything runs slow on it :)

Hope this helped!

Darkgame

#30 Post by Darkgame »

Thanks! I will go check it out

TheAsterisk!

#31 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Darkgame wrote:ive wanted to use vbox on puppy, for a 'portable' gamimg usb drive.
How do u install from sfs?
Or can anyone make or upload the pet version?
I saw it once,4.0.0, but i deleted by pupsave by accident and the pet is now gone?!
With a frugal installaion (when Puppy has a savefile), you just place the SFS in the folder "/mnt/home/" and go to the boot manager (in the menu, "MENU --> System --> BootManager") and select which will load when Puppy starts up.

If you still want a PET, though, I can slap one together later and upload it. (All my packages are available as PETs, but I've removed versions 4.0.0 and 4.0.4 since uploading 4.0.4. I can always make an older version available again for limited downloads.)
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Darkgame

#32 Post by Darkgame »

thanks, but nevermind. Ive got it from quickpet and now im playing warcraft 3

TheAsterisk!

#33 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Darkgame wrote:thanks, but nevermind. Ive got it from quickpet and now im playing warcraft 3
Glad to hear it's worked out!

TheAsterisk!

#34 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Alright, everyone. I've made up some packages for 4.0.6. Audio issues with Lucid 525 are worse than ever, though- no sound options work at all. Still seems fine with everything else, though, and 4.0.4 and 3.2.8 can still be made to serve up working audio on 525.

I'll be uploading those later this morning.

(One change I could find: something called "balloon-ctrl" is now in VBox, and I have no idea what it is. It's also either very new or obscure, because web searches didn't help either. If anyone knows what the heck this is, I'm very curious to find out.)

I'll probably also eliminate most of the 4.0.4 packages, except for those Puppy versions which don't work or work albeit more poorly with 4.0.6. (525 with its audio issues comes to mind.)

Be back soon!

TheAsterisk!

UPDATE

#35 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Updated packages to version 4.0.6.

Slight organizational update was also carried out, and is still in progress for older packages.