Puppy for a MacBook Pro

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tallboy

Puppy for a MacBook Pro

#1 Post by tallboy »

I see there is another thread running now, about a MacBook Pro with problems. My nephew contacted me with and questioned me if a puppylinux could help him retrieve some picture dirs from his Mac. He has no tech background, and it is a bit difficult for me to get all relevant info over a phoneline. I know he has a relatively new MacBook Pro with Intel processor(s), and a disk drive currently not working because of physical damage at an earlier occasion. He just tells me that he is unable to access the HDD now, so there is probably a software issue.
The tip mentioned in the other thread about Alsoft's DiskWarrior is good, but it's too pricey for my nephew right now.
I also read that FatDog64 is a good choice for trying to retrieve his pics from the Mac HDD, and my question is if there are differences that make one version of FatDog64 more suitable for a MacBook Pro than other versions?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Je55eah

yes

#2 Post by Je55eah »

I don't recall at this point if I used fatdog or puppy but I would start with fatdog. I successfully used whichever it was to recover the files from the macBook I am working on before doing anything else. It may be necessary to update the package managers database and then install hfs related packages so that you can read from the hfs+ formatted disks.

The issues I am dealing with in the other thread are addressing concerns that would arise when using the system for longer than the time it takes to rescue some files.

Don't use any Linux disk utilities until you have recovered your files and exhausted your options using Macintosh disk utilities.

mavrothal

Re: Puppy for a MacBook Pro

#3 Post by mavrothal »

tallboy wrote: retrieve some picture dirs from his Mac.
If he can use the terminal PhotoRec is free.
If not, may want to use the free or demo versions of EaseUS, Disk Drill or FileSalvage
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

Thank you for your advice, guys. :D
I'll pass it on to my nephew.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.