LinNeighborhood losing connection to XP shared folders

Booting, installing, newbie
Evie

LinNeighborhood losing connection to XP shared folders

#1 Post by Evie »

Hello everyone. I really hate posting questions in forums, but I've spent more hours than I care to admit to over the last two days googling, searching this forum, searching the wiki, and reading everything I can find. Either this is an unusual problem, or my research skills are failing me.

I downloaded Puppy 1.0.8r1 yesterday and so far I absolutely love it! Nothing's ever run this fast on my old 400 MHz machine. And I had no problems in LinNeighborhood mounting my Windows XP shared folders. But after 15-30 minutes, the connection is lost. Applications start to hang when I try to access those files. Going back into LinNeighborhood and clicking "edit machine" and re-entering the IP, then clicking "scan as user" again fixes the problem...for another 15-30 minutes.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something I'm missing? I should state here that I'm a *complete* linux n00b, but I'm a pretty competent computer user in general.

Apologies if I missed the answer in my search, and thanks in advance for the help. :)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If music be the food of death....

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

maybe section 7 on this web page applies to your problem?

Evie

#3 Post by Evie »

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm too new at linux to really grasp what it's telling me to do, so I'm going to wait until tomorrow evening to read up on cron jobs and crontab.

I hope it works, because constantly renewing the connection is starting to wear on me.
If music be the food of death....

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

you could try writing a script to access the shared folders at regular intervals

for example:

#!/bin/sh
while true
do
sleep 600
df > /dev/null
done

this should access the shared folders once every 10 minutes (600 seconds) ... sleep 900 would be 15 minutes ... sleep 3600 would be once per hour

you can create a script by right clicking a folder in a Rox filer window, and clicking New, Script ... name it whatever you like, for example, you could name it dfshared ... you can copy the script from the forum (select the text with the mouse) then paste the text in the script (right click the script, and click Open As Text ... click the middle mouse button to paste the text in the file)

you can click the file to run it, and you can drag the script to the desktop to create a shortcut ... or you could run the script automatically when puppy boots by putting a line like this in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

/root/dfshared &

this assumes that your script is named "dfshared" and that it is in the folder /root

i'm not sure if Busybox's df will work the same way as the real df with the -a switch, as suggested on the IBM web page

pooklaroux

#5 Post by pooklaroux »

JM2C -- make sure there isn't some wicked firewall protection on the xp boxes that is bolloxing up your connectivity. My best friend's Win XP box was recently retrofitted with a steel and concrete style firewall security solution that absolutely scuttles network connections. We'd get it mounted, and then it just wouldn't be there. I'm all for security, but this system is making her laptop noinfunctional.