Helping Puppy find user_cram.fs at boot

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

A very similar thing happened to me when I tried to boot Puppy a cheap CD-R in an old IBM all-in-one computer.

Perhaps removing and reinserting the flash drive resets something in the USB controller on the motherboard. If so, maybe it gets out of whack in the middle of the boot sequence because of something in the Linux kernel. Puppy2 with the Linux 2.6 kernel is supposed to be out in a few days. My guess is it will solve the problem.

toddyjoe

#17 Post by toddyjoe »

Interesting finding, bean. I have this exact same problem and response with my home desktop computer with the same USB flash drive (SanDisk Cruzer Mini 512MB) and Puppy 1.0.8r1. I will have to try your approach and see if it works.

bean

SOLVED - booting from Sandisk cruzer mini 512MB USB drive

#18 Post by bean »

I just tried downloading the 2.0 alpha and used it to install to my USB drive and was able to successfully boot on the same machine as I was unsuccessfully using earlier with 1.0.8r1.

Many thanks for the pointer Flash. I look forward to working with the official 2.0 release when it becomes available.

Oddly enough uname -r shows this is a kernel 2.4.31 not the 2.6.x I was expecting.

- Ben

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Well, there ya go, problem solved. :lol:

I didn't make it clear that it is the unreleased Puppy2 I was talking about, that has the 2.6 Linux kernel. NEWS FLASH: Barry just released it today. See the news.