Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Feb 2020, 05:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to use Cricket modem with Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
NutMeg

PostPosted: Fri 24 Dec 2010, 00:18    Post subject:  How to use Cricket modem with Puppy
Subject description: My feeble attempts up to now have been unsuccessful

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to Linux, and just got Puppy installed and running tonight on a USB flash drive. It's version 5.1.1. I really haven't done anything with it yet except play around with some of the settings and open some of the apps it came with. It looks really good.

But my priority is an internet connection. Cricket does say that they don't support Linux (fools), but the modem setup I ran on Puppy seemed straightforward and I really hoped it would work. Alas, it was not to be. At least not yet. (I'm trying to be optimistic here.)

Puppy's setup routine found the modem and its initialization strings. I had to plug in the number to dial, the username, and the password. Then I tried dialing, and up came a window recording the process - which seemed very like the one I used when I was on dialup. But it couldn't make a connection. It was an automatic redial, so I let it keep trying for a while, but eventually stopped it.

I've done some searching and found only one forum thread (don't think it was here) on this subject. The poster got Windows to recognize his modem, then used something called MediaPup to connect. But most of his explanation went right over my head, and I'm not sure it would have worked for me anyway, since I have a different modem. So I thought I would ask here.

My modem is a UT Starcom UM100C. Obviously I'm connected now, so the modem does work. This laptop I'm on, in case it helps to know, is a Dell Latitude D631 that I bought refurbished about a week ago as a replacement for my previous (deceased) HP Pavilion. This one has a 120 gig hard drive, a 2.2 gHz AMD Turion processor, and 2 gigs of RAM, and is running Windows XP Pro. Puppy is currently running on an 8 gig flash drive; I thought that would be a good way to try it out. I would like to do more with it, but without an internet connection I'm really limited. I could call Cricket about this, but I know what they'll tell me - "We don't support Linux."

Am I trying to do the impossible here? Is there a way to get this modem working with Puppy? Or am I doomed to using Windows when I need to be online - until/unless I change ISPs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Meg
bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 27 Dec 2010, 12:24    Post subject:  

Quote:
Puppy's setup routine found the modem and its initialization strings. I had to plug in the number to dial, the username, and the password. Then I tried dialing, and up came a window recording the process - which seemed very like the one I used when I was on dialup. But it couldn't make a connection. It was an automatic redial, so I let it keep trying for a while, but eventually stopped it.

What type of modem?
Wireless?

Double and triple check settings. If it dials and then redials, it usually means something wrong with settings. Names and passwords are case sensitive.
NutMeg

PostPosted: Tue 28 Dec 2010, 15:49    Post subject:  

Never mind - I got it working. It seemed to be just a missing character in the number to dial. I saw "#777" and thought the "#" was just to indicate that a number should go there, but when I added it to the "777" the modem connected fine. Sorry for the late reply; there were no answers here for so long that I stopped checking.
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: