Fatdog64-511

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

Re: Fatdog64-511

#91 Post by jamesbond »

Billtoo wrote:I installed fatdog 511 to another pc with an nvidia graphics card in it, I installed the nvidia pet in the repo first and also managed to upgrade it to the newest NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.36.run driver (49 mb).
Fatdog is running well on this pc :)
Thanks Billtoo. I see VLC in your screenshot - do you have a working VLC package? :D
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#92 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote:
Billtoo wrote:I installed fatdog 511 to another pc with an nvidia graphics card in it, I installed the nvidia pet in the repo first and also managed to upgrade it to the newest NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.36.run driver (49 mb).
Fatdog is running well on this pc :)
Thanks Billtoo. I see VLC in your screenshot - do you have a working VLC package? :D
Yes, I made a vlc-1.1.7-x86_64.pet 12mb and a vlc_DEV-1.1.7-x86_64.pet 148k, also a qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1-x86_64.pet 40mb and a
qt-everywhere-opensource-src_DEV-4.7.1-x86_64.pet 1845k.
I'm not sure if the vlc pet will work with the version of qt4 in the repo.

gcmartin

#93 Post by gcmartin »

Billtoo wrote: ... Yes, I made a vlc-1.1.7-x86_64.pet 12mb and a vlc_DEV-1.1.7-x86_64.pet 148k, also a qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1-x86_64.pet 40mb and a
@Billtoo
  • Is your work available for FATDOG consumption?
  • If so, how do we get to it?
  • Considering that there seems to be a user AND a development version, how should installation progress with these 4 individuals?
Thanks in advance.

gcmartin

Netboot in Repo?

#94 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks Everyone for such a great-great contributions to the 64bit version.

It is humbling to see how this version of a RAM based system is maturing. I cannot express my thanks enough to all of this great contribution.

Couple of things to help. I opened my PPM, configured, updated, closed and reopened the PPM.
NETBOOT
The only Netboot version I see is version 2. Should the "-3" version be shown instead?

PWIDGETS
I see the recent addition in the PPM, but I did not find xonclock-0.0.9.2-pe-1-amd64.pet or conky-1.6.1-pe-1-amd64.pet.
01Miko installation instruction indicates a reliance on these 2 PETs to accompany the recent addition to the PPM of pwidgets_amd64-2.3.3.pet. Were the 2 mentioned PETs combined into the pwidget's PET?

Note: This plus the use of PDiag and HInfo, I should now be able to have a full picture of the active running of my FATDOG system. Thanks again, EVERYONE!
Hope this helps

Billtoo

#95 Post by Billtoo »

gcmartin wrote:
Billtoo wrote: ... Yes, I made a vlc-1.1.7-x86_64.pet 12mb and a vlc_DEV-1.1.7-x86_64.pet 148k, also a qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1-x86_64.pet 40mb and a
@Billtoo
  • Is your work available for FATDOG consumption?
  • If so, how do we get to it?
I uploaded those pets to jamesbond, I don't know if they'll make the fatdog repo or not. Maybe you could pm him.

gcmartin

PWidgets

#96 Post by gcmartin »

gcmartin wrote: ... PWIDGETS
I see the recent addition in the PPM, but I did not find xonclock-0.0.9.2-pe-1-amd64.pet or conky-1.6.1-pe-1-amd64.pet.
01Miko installation instruction indicates a reliance on these 2 PETs to accompany the recent addition to the PPM of pwidgets_amd64-2.3.3.pet. Were the 2 mentioned PETs combined into the pwidget's PET?
Hope this helps
This is a clarification from @01Micko
01micko's PM wrote: ... The single pwidgets-amd64 package contains all dependencies :) ...
Appears, there were 2 ways to interpret his post. Oh well, Murphy's Law still works!. PPM is currently correct for this.

So, disregard this particular entry on that post. Thanks

Hope this helps

jamesbond

#97 Post by jamesbond »

Updated audio.sfs.
Changes - removed jacker, added lmms (no VST compatibility though).

Updated 32bit-lib.sfs.
Changes - added libSDL and libGL

Corrected netboot-server - it shows version 3 now.
Thanks gcmartin.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#98 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin,

For the time being Billltoo's VLC is available at mydrive.ch, in fatdog64 folder.
Username = *dotpet@puppy*share*
Password = *puppy*linux*
(remove the asterisks).

I haven't got the chance to test it out yet - when I do, I will probably re-package it as an SFS (due to the size) and upload it to the repo. I don't think you need the _DEV or the _DOC package.

Thanks Billtoo.

cheers!

Billtoo

Fatdog64-511

#99 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote:gcmartin,

For the time being Billltoo's VLC is available at mydrive.ch, in fatdog64 folder.
Username = *dotpet@puppy*share*
Password = *puppy*linux*
(remove the asterisks).

I haven't got the chance to test it out yet - when I do, I will probably re-package it as an SFS (due to the size) and upload it to the repo. I don't think you need the _DEV or the _DOC package.

Thanks Billtoo.

cheers!

The only files needed to run vlc are:

qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1-x86_64.pet
vlc-1.1.7-x86_64.pet

Roy

#100 Post by Roy »

Quick question:

Where and how do I set CUPS permissions for both Spot and Root to print? ATM I can print from Spot, but not from anywhere else. (Did I change anything or is this the default?)

Running Fatdog64 with Jemimah's Frisbee internet interface program on the home desktop and loving it.... (I see Jemimah has updated her latest Frisbee in Fluppy013.)

-Roy

jamesbond

#101 Post by jamesbond »

Good report on Frisbee ... if we have good feedback, kirk will probably include that as the default network manager in the next release. Frisbee works fine on my two (relatively) unproblematic laptops, I have yet to test it on my problematic tablet with broadcom driver (grrrrr :( )

Roy, can you elaborate on the problem? You should be able to print from both root and spot. For example, if you click the firefox icon, by default (f you don't change anything) it will run as spot, so when you print from firefox, you're effectively printing from spot. If you open terminal and run "firefox" there, firefox will run as root, and again when you print it will print as root. Both works as far as I know.

Which application you try to print from?
What's error message?
Try to launch the application from terminal, and then try to print - do you see messages in the terminal?

cheers!

Roy

#102 Post by Roy »

My printing problem appears to be a permissions issue on my end -- and it might have been of my own (previous) doing. If I run "su spot" in terminal and then open the application via terminal, my work prints. If I merely open the application as root, printing is a no-go and does not even show up as an active job in printer administration.

Again, this might be of my own doing, as I remember being in a screen for printer permissions in the distant past -- and don't know how to find it again or set both root and spot permissions. If the default is both root and spot, I just want to return to the default.

My printer is a Canon Pixma MP460 and typically responds to the Canon Pixma MP160 drivers -- which are included by default in the 511-based FD64.

Xsane scanning does not work for me either, giving me an "Error during read. Error during device I/O." message in a dialog box. Wish I could correct that, too -- but don't know where to even start. (Doesn't work as user Spot, either.)

My sole internet connection to the world from this desktop is via a rooted Android cell phone running Barnacle. Jemimah's Frisbee is the ONLY Puppy internet interface I have tried that will successfully connect to it and pull a valid IP address. Unfortunately, that short connection is 'open' (unencrypted), most likely due to a glitch in Barnacle (my best guess).

-Roy

BTW, I've also added Trio's latest you2pup-2.1.pet for downloading videos, Zigberts pwidgets_amd64-2.3.3.pet to help my keep track of my time, and an older flash game (ACE-Solitaire.pet) from Ttuxxx to waste some of that time. The solitaire game cheats, though. Just count the queens for proof........
Attachments
cheating_solitaire.png
(107.81 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
Last edited by Roy on Mon 28 Feb 2011, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

Roy

#103 Post by Roy »

Testing with a fresh save file... and skype no longer starts. Complains of a 'segmentation fault' when attempted from terminal. I did download version 6 of the 32-bit libs -- and delete version 3 of the same. Coincidence?

Printing DOES work from both spot and root when working from my new save file, although I made sure to check the 'Share Printer' box when discovering the new printer.

-Roy

jamesbond

#104 Post by jamesbond »

Glad you get the printer working. When you say "discovering new printer" - that is your local printer, right? It isn't some remote printer (ie some printer connected to other puppies)? I don't think you need to click the "share printer" - that checkbox is to enable remote printing (ie, so that you printer is "discoverable" when you other puppies - and you can print to it over the network from other puppies).

I haven't been using Xsane for a very long time. My real scanner isn't supported, and my other "scanner" is an Epson TX100 printer - of which I have produced the epkowa drivers in the past for 32-bit puppies, but I haven't done anything for Fatdog due to lack of time. I think the problem is probably lack of driver rather than permission. I will look for the drivers and try to get them compiled when I have time (no promises 8) - get quite a backlog over here), but I won't be able to test it for you unfortunately because I don't have that scanner. Note - multifunction devices require separate drivers for printing and scanning, so just because the printing is supported with built-in drivers, doesn't mean scanning is.

I can't remember what I put in version 4 of 32-bit lib, but I know that changed between version 4,5 and 6 - I added libSDL and libGLX - mainly so that games works. Yes, I get a bit tired of having to recompile all those excellent stuff compiled by sc0ttman and muggins in the games section :lol: Unfortunately I don't have any earlier copies of all the SFS, so if you have them, keep them. Skype works over there with the latest 32-bit SFS, so that isn't a problem (actually, Skype contains a reduced private 32-bit libraries - so it doesn't depend on the fuller 32-bit libs). You can try by not using 32-bit SFS and run Skype, see if that works.

That solitaire game is good :lol:

rcrsn51

#105 Post by rcrsn51 »

Roy wrote:My printer is a Canon Pixma MP460 and typically responds to the Canon Pixma MP160 drivers -- which are included by default in the 511-based FD64.

Xsane scanning does not work for me either, giving me an "Error during read. Error during device I/O." message in a dialog box. Wish I could correct that, too -- but don't know where to even start. (Doesn't work as user Spot, either.)
Canon scanners need libusb 1.0. See the discussion here.

[Edit] Here is the patched SANE backend for Canon scanners along with libusb 1.0. I have tested this with my Canon MP490 in Xsane.

Please provide some feedback.
Attachments
pixma-backend-fd64-1.0.21.pet
(97.54 KiB) Downloaded 307 times

Roy

#106 Post by Roy »

Thank you, guys!

Jamesbond, yes... it is my sole local printer, connected via USB. Found the permissions stuff Menu > Cups manage printing > Administration tab > Manage Printers > left click on desired printer > under 'Administration' drop down menu, select 'Set Allowed Users' > enter 'root spot' (without ''). Now the default printing capability is -- at least functionally -- restored.

rcrsn51, that's the ticket! I had already gone to the link you provided, but was getting a geek CLI message that indicated a 32-bit library was not being accepted by the 64-bit system when trying the pixma-backend-qrky-1.0.21.pet. Might have just been a problem on my end, but installing your pixma-backend-fd64-1.0.21.pet solved my scanning issue with my Canon PIXMA MP460. Thank you!

-Roy

rcrsn51

#107 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent.

Because this package also installs libusb1.0, it slightly modifies how other USB devices work. However, I have never had a problem with this in 32-bit systems like Quirky.

rcrsn51

#108 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is Peasyscan for FD64.

Please provide feedback.
Attachments
peasyscan_fd64-1.4.pet
(52.75 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

rcrsn51

#109 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the HP printer package for CUPS. These are just basic printer drivers - no scanners, firmware plugins or toolkits.

Please provide feedback.

rcrsn51

#110 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is the HP scanner driver package. It has been tested with a Deskjet F4280 in both Xsane and Peasyscan.

Please provide feedback.