Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 06:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-511
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 18 [259 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
kirk

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jan 2011, 00:09    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
No worries. There is also one subtle issue - the /etc/hostname doesn't match /etc/hosts (ie hosts doesn't contain an entry for /etc/hostname). Just spend half a day troubleshooting why my ghostess doesn't work in 511 when it did in 500 (and there is no change in most of the libs between 500 and 511).

Fix - put this line in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown
Code:
sed -i'' -e "1 {s/^.*$/127.0.0.1 localhost $(cat /etc/hostname)/}" /etc/hosts

after line 342 (after the closing "fi")
Code:
HTNM="$(cat /tmp/rc.sd.tmp)"
  if [ "$HTNM" != "" ] ; then
echo $HTNM > /etc/hostname
    fi

The sed code basically re-creates the first entry of /etc/hosts file and ensures /etc/hostname is included in that line.

cheers!

Thanks James. That was just bone-headed on my part.
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Wed 02 Feb 2011, 09:06    Post subject:  

Kirk, thanks for FatDog 511. I downloaded and tested it on a 64-bit Windows 7 PC yesterday and it was running great.

Cheers,

CP .

Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running New Year's Pup 02, Puppy EmSee v2.2, Puppy 4.31 Workhorse, Puppy Carolina 1.2, Puppy Legacy OS2 LTS, Puppy Diamond 528_512 (full) and Puppy Upup Raring 3.9.9.2.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb 2011, 10:33    Post subject:  

The following fix will enable one to configure PrintScreen key for doing screenshot (or anything else, for that matter).

SysReq keycodes and Printscreen keycodes are mapped to the same KeySim - that is "Print". But since SysReq keycode is 92, and PrintScreen is 111, when one does a reverse mapping from "Print", one always get 92 and not 111. Thus, action to trap "Print" always ends up trapping keycode 92 (not 111).

Real keyboard (=the one in my laptop) these days no longer generate keycode 92, they always generate 111. Thus - when one presses Printscreen, nothing happens (that key generates 111, one traps 92 - so nothing is trapped).

Solution? Make SysReq returns 92 and make PrintScreen return 111 - as it should be!

1. Edit /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/pc
- Line 102 change from
Code:
//   symbols[Group1]= [ Print, Sys_Req ]
to
Code:
symbols[Group1]= [ Print, Print ]
- Line 106 change from
Code:
//   symbols[Group1]= [ Print, Sys_Req ]
to
Code:
   symbols[Group1]= [ Sys_Req, Sys_Req ]

2. Run this in terminal
Code:
setxkbmap us

This only needs to be done once, and it will survive reboots.

Note: solution only works for us keyboard. If your is non-us keyboard ... well, worth a try, change step 2 with your own keyboard mapping (e.g. setxkbmap gb, for example) and see whether it works.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 03 Feb 2011, 16:58    Post subject:  

Tried booting from DVD - even with 'puppy pfix=ram'
FD (FatDog) was picking up previous settings
Deleted all stray FD files on my hard drive - booted up OK (this is a known issue)

Tried to add my bookmarks
No joy - just would not import Crying or Very sad
Installed FireFox development 3.6.12 from here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/pets/500
and dragged the run time from
/usr/lib64/firefox-3.6.12/firefox
onto the desktop
Import bookmarks works in the 3.6.12 version . . .

Installed the ATI catalyst driver

I almost feel I know what I am doing
. . . I may be getting the hang of this Linux thing . . . Wink

Puppy Linux
64 bit ready

gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb 2011, 14:30    Post subject: keymap changes  

Thanks JamesBond, I had noticed that this key didn't seem to do anything in the past,
Whcih will this change allow me to do
  • Printscrn to printer
  • Printscrn to file
  • Printscrn to clipboard
Thanks in advance.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb 2011, 18:49    Post subject:  

Lobster - really? import bookmarks didn't work with the built-in firefox? How did you do it? (and where do you import from?)

gcmartin - yes, the fix will enable you to use PrintScreen key just like another key. But you still need to use a program to translate keys to actions. You can do this in openbox (edit .config/openbox/rc.xml), or you can user a more user-friendly program like xbindkeys or sven.

I've compiled sven for fatdog64, I'm testing it, if it's stable enough I'll upload it to the repository. May be can even recommend kirk to put it in the next release Smile

And finally then you need to have the program to do all you want. (For printscreen, it's very easy - just execute "mtpaint -s"). From mtpaint you can save to a file, you can print, etc.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Fri 04 Feb 2011, 23:48    Post subject:  

Quote:
Lobster - really? import bookmarks didn't work with the built-in firefox? How did you do it? (and where do you import from?)

Yes really
I used the import bookmarks much as I would normally.
It is an HTML file on my HD that I have imported into many versions of Seamonkey, FF and Opera, on many different puplets and even other distros.
So I am very familiar with the procedure.
Could not import with the standard FD64 Firefox. The update solved the problem.

There was no error message. It set up a whole range of history, personal toolbar etc but did not import the HTML Rolling Eyes

01micko

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb 2011, 06:29    Post subject: fatdog
Subject description: fastdog

kirk, jamesbond

Today I gave fatdog 511 a bit of a workout. I had tried 500 but that was released in the thick of lupu dev so I did not give it a fair run.
Firstly, with jamesbond's and zigbert's help, pwidgets is now available for Fatdog. Love it or hate it, it's a popular app! Zigbert has a link on the Pwidgets thread.

I reckon this is the fastest pup I have tried on this system. It's an X2 with nvidia chipset and 2 gig of RAM. It just seems blazingly fast compared to x86 only pups.

Good to see you have etracer working too! I tried to compile it on lupu and spup and while it works well graphically it is silent, sound wise, for me on those systems Crying or Very sad .

One gripe, PPM didn't work ootb, had to grab Packages-puppy-fd64-offical the file from ibiblio and put it in /root/.packages.

Probably more later.

Thanks for Fatdog.

Cheers

jamesbond

PostPosted: Sat 05 Feb 2011, 10:55    Post subject: Re: fatdog
Subject description: fastdog

01micko wrote:
Firstly, with jamesbond's and zigbert's help, pwidgets is now available for Fatdog. Love it or hate it, it's a popular app!
Come on micko, although I don't use bling, that doesn't mean I'm anti-bling Very Happy I'm glad that you and zigbert make this option available for those who like it Very Happy In fact, I'm going to try it now ... I'll probably upload this to the repository.

Quote:
One gripe, PPM didn't work ootb, had to grab Packages-puppy-fd64-offical the file from ibiblio and put it in /root/.packages.
This is a known problem. That being said, since Fatdog's repository is growing (at least during 500 release), it may be a good idea to "force" the user to check for the latest Packages file, though I admit this could be done in a more "informative" way ...

cheers!

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb 2011, 01:16    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
... And finally then you need to have the program to do all you want. (For printscreen, it's very easy - just execute "mtpaint -s"). From mtpaint you can save to a file, you can print, etc.
Maybe the next interation of FATDOG will bring this about for all of the community.

Thanks

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb 2011, 00:39    Post subject:  

Quote:
import bookmarks didn't work with the built-in firefox?

Further to my post I have now replicated this under FF in Ubuntu 10.10 BUT the 64 bit version . . . I will download and install a 32 bit version of Ubuntu (which imported OK previously)
I am noticing in the HTML that there looks like crypto generated passwords for links and it may be some conflict between 32 bit and 64 bit?
Just grabbing at straws guys. No one else has reported it and I have a solution, so . . . just keeping you informed Smile
I think the HTML is somehow corrupted as this happened in 32 bit Ubuntu - boo - how so? Oh boy tracking these things is too much . . .
I think FatDog is OK though . . .

Last edited by Lobster on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 23:59; edited 1 time in total
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb 2011, 06:21    Post subject:  

Lobster,

I tried this (a bit stupid way to test may be) - I exported my current bookmarks from 511, I boot with pfix=ram and tried to import it - and it worked fine. So at least the export/import seems to be working fine. And as you say, it doesn't work for Ubuntu 10.04 either. So the question would be, may be the source file is too old, or like you say, 32/64-bit doesn't mingle very well.

I'm at lost to explain though why the FF you install from repo works, because that kirk put in the repo is identical to what you have in 511 ...

EDIT - no, the one in the repository is the development files. So I'm not sure where you get your copy of the Firefox 3.6.12 from?

Last edited by jamesbond on Tue 08 Feb 2011, 06:42; edited 1 time in total
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb 2011, 06:23    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
jamesbond wrote:
... And finally then you need to have the program to do all you want. (For printscreen, it's very easy - just execute "mtpaint -s"). From mtpaint you can save to a file, you can print, etc.
Maybe the next interation of FATDOG will bring this about for all of the community.

Thanks
Yes, I hope so. The program I use is "sven" - this is what Fluppy 11 uses. It's also available in the forum for other puppies. I'm testing it, it's working fine, and I'll upload it to the repo and share with everyone in due time.

cheers!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb 2011, 06:52    Post subject:  

Not sure where I got the updated FF
I did root about - may have been from the PPM but I have a feeling I rooted around
on one of the FD repositories

Quote:
So the question would be, may be the source file is too old

It is very old - two or three years maybe
and it has been used and saved from both Seamonkey and FF and perhaps even Opera.

I thought HTML was more robust.

on another track . . .
Barry does not have a 64bit capacity for Woof does he? Or maybe this is being considered?

jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb 2011, 07:17    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
It is very old - two or three years maybe
and it has been used and saved from both Seamonkey and FF and perhaps even Opera.
That may explain it. My habit for things like this is to import the bookmark into a relatively new version, and re-export it. Thus I can be sure that my bookmark file is never too old for the recent browser. Alternatively, there is a few little utilities (in the forum) that will clean-up the bookmark file and presents it as a normal HTML, from which then you can proceed to open the links and add the bookmark again (with the added benefit of checking whether those links are still active) Razz

Another alternative which I do, is that each time I have a new installation, I just copy the entire .mozilla directory (under /root/spot for recent Fatdog, under /root for all other puppies) to the new puppy. This usually works very well, not only you get the bookmarks but also all the other customisations such as your add-ons etc - but obviously it only works for the same browser (seamonkey or firefox). It doesn't work for Opera methinks.

Quote:
I thought HTML was more robust.
It does, but there isn't any standard on what one can put into bookmark.html ...

Quote:
on another track . . .
Barry does not have a 64bit capacity for Woof does he? Or maybe this is being considered?
No. Woof is 32-bit only. That's why kirk doesn't base Fatdog on woof - he uses materials from woof (the scripts) and tracks woof development (for important updates etc) - but it's a manual process and is not 100% sync with woof. So one can't expect new features to automatically appear on Fatdog.
Page 3 of 18 [259 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: