Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Apr 2014, 07:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-511
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 18 [259 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
jamesbond

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2011, 07:49    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
I couldn't resolve this. I got different USB behaviours depending if I compiled CUPS 1.4 in Quirky or FD64.

My mistake - I was using depmod wrong. If you install usblp and compile CUPS 1.4 with --disable-libusb, it works correctly.
Interesting. Epson tools from cups doesn't work without usblp - and yet the same cups won't work with usblp (I'm talking about default cups in FD64). So if we can still disable libusb, that sounds like the best of both worlds - unless there is some unforeseen consequences ....

Anyway, does it mean that your previous pets in this thread won't work? Haven't got any comments and not having the printers themselves, I can't test ...

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2011, 08:02    Post subject: Fatdog64-511
Subject description: new ltris version

Here's the newest Ltris game.
The following is from the change log:

1.0.16:
- improved random number generator (2011/03/02 MS)
- generate pieces according to official Tetris guidelines (2011/03/02 Andrey
Maykov)
- always deal same sequence of pieces to all players (2011/03/02 MS)
- in expert mode deal most unsuitable piece out of current bag instead
of random piece (2011/03/02 MS)
ltris-1.0.16-x86_64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  ltris-1.0.16-x86_64.pet 
Filesize  487.14 KB 
Downloaded  151 Time(s) 
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2011, 08:33    Post subject:  

All the PETs I have posted above work in the current CUPS. They do not need usblp support. However, there are two udev rules files where this is an issue.

1. 55-cups. The purpose of this rule is to give all printer device nodes 666 permissions so the unprivileged CUPS user can access them. Supposedly, without that rule in play, you couldn't print at all. However, the purpose of the usblp module is to manage those device nodes and FD64 doesn't have it. So I was surprised that any printer would work.

I suspect that printing works anyway because of the rule in 50-udev-puppy-basic that assigns ownership of all USB devices to the unprivileged user spot. That's an odd hack. Or maybe if you print via libusb, you aren't constrained by ownership/permission issues.

2. 11-hplj10xx. This is the rule used by some older non-standard HP models that downloads firmware from the host computer to the printer. It is part of the foo2xxx driver package. It requires a device node like /dev/usb/lp0, so it definitely needs usblp. But there are only nine models affected by this issue.

Like I said above, Lupu has CUPS 1.4 AND usblp. Since it is built from Ubuntu packages, I'm assuming that the big-boy distros are still compiling CUPS with libusb disabled.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 20 Mar 2011, 18:18; edited 2 times in total
Billtoo

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2011, 10:18    Post subject: Fatdog64-511
Subject description: streamripper

I don't see this in the fatdog repo:
streamripper-1.64.6-x86_64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  streamripper-1.64.6-x86_64.pet 
Filesize  67.56 KB 
Downloaded  164 Time(s) 
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 09:15    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
All the PETs I have posted above work in the current CUPS. They do not need usblp support.
Ah, good to hear that.

Quote:
However, there are two udev rules files where this is an issue.

1. 55-cups. The purpose of this rule is to give all printer device nodes 666 permissions so the unprivileged CUPS user can access them. Supposedly, without that rule in play, you couldn't print at all. However, the purpose of the usblp module is to manage those device nodes and FD64 doesn't have it. So I was surprised that any printer would work.

I suspect that printing works anyway because of the rule in 50-udev-puppy-basic that assigns ownership of all USB devices to the unprivileged user spot. That's an odd hack. Or maybe if you print via libusb, you aren't constrained by ownership/permission issues.

I remembered troubleshooting usb printing problem back in FD64 500 beta days. It was CUPS 1.4 I think - and at that time, I can assure you, permission did have effect. Apparently CUPS of that day accessed usb printers through the usbfs (/proc/usb) and there was no way I can control the access (other than doing chmod 0666 manually). The problem at that time was, the usb backend, for some reason the usb backend was run as nobody instead of root - so definitely no usb printing before I did the manual chmod. Luckily we found the issue and managed to convince CUPS to run it as root. My understanding is that usbfs is deprecated, so newer libusb should not depend on it anymore, and should depend on /dev/usb which *is* managed by udev as you said above - but I have yet to confirm this.

Quote:
2. 11-hplj10xx. This is the rule used by some older non-standard HP models that downloads firmware from the host computer to the printer. It is part of the foo2xxx driver package. It requires a device node like /dev/usb/lp0, so it definitely needs usblp. But there are only nine models affected by this issue.
As far as I know, /dev/usb/lp is managed by udev. Usblp will create /dev/usblp0 nodes. But I agree, anything that require raw access to the printers (e.g. checking ink status on Epson) seems to require usblp.

Quote:
Like I said above, Lupu has CUPS 1.4 AND usblp. Since it is built from Ubuntu packages, I'm assuming that the big-boy distros are still compiling CUPS with libusb disabled.
Sounds good - I'm sure kirk will take note of this, if he decides to upgrade CUPS on next release of Fatdog.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 09:18    Post subject: Re: Fatdog64-511
Subject description: streamripper

Billtoo wrote:
I don't see this in the fatdog repo:

I used to provide a test streamripper pet for smokey01 before, but it didn't work for me (well it kind of works but I'm not a regular user of streamripper so I encountered a lot of issues with it) and in the end he didn't have the time to test it out, so I removed it.

When I have the time I'll put this into staging and if we hear good feedback I'll move it to the official repo.

Thanks for the updated Ltris also - I'll make time to put it to the official repo later.

rayberau

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 09:49    Post subject: Can Linux Wine be used with Fatdog64?  

I'm wondering whether Linux Wine can be used with Fatdog64. I managed to download Wine using Fedora 13 OS so I can now use the Japanese and Chinese Word Processors that contain supurb dictionaries which I was using on the Windows 7 OS that was on my Acer Aspire 5542G-304G50Mn Model MS2277 Notebook Computer with AMD Athlon 64-bit II M300 2.00GHz dual-core (X2) processor before I put Fedora 13 on it.

I'm wondering whether the same thing can be done with Fatdog64?

Regards from Ray Bergmann
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 21 Mar 2011, 18:30    Post subject:  

Oh yes you can. Fatdog SFS repo http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fatdog/sfs/500/ has wine. But since it's a 32-bit package, you need to use 32-bit library SFS also.
Billtoo

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar 2011, 10:06    Post subject: Fatdog64-511
Subject description: geany text editor

Here's the latest Geany text editor:
geany_NLS-0.20-x86_64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  geany_NLS-0.20-x86_64.pet 
Filesize  1006.12 KB 
Downloaded  142 Time(s) 
geany_DOC-0.20-x86_64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  geany_DOC-0.20-x86_64.pet 
Filesize  814.18 KB 
Downloaded  147 Time(s) 
geany_DEV-0.20-x86_64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  geany_DEV-0.20-x86_64.pet 
Filesize  91.37 KB 
Downloaded  135 Time(s) 
geany-0.20-x86_64.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  geany-0.20-x86_64.pet 
Filesize  1.29 MB 
Downloaded  151 Time(s) 
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2011, 04:23    Post subject:  

Billtoo, thanks, but I think kirk has also compiled geany 0.20 with all its plugins....
Billtoo

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar 2011, 10:13    Post subject: Fatdog64-511
Subject description: geany

jamesbond wrote:
Billtoo, thanks, but I think kirk has also compiled geany 0.20 with all its plugins....

oops, I should have checked the repo first.
Bruce_n_Duane

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar 2011, 00:54    Post subject: Broken Firefox / Namoroka [SOLVED]
Subject description: Two Firefoxes on new install of FatDog 511

Two Firefoxes on new FatDog 511 install???????

Just installed FatDog 511 as frugal install in Intel Core2 64-bit computer.

There appears to be two Firefox's. (Namoroka)
One accessible from the desktop icons both on the desktop and from the bottom panel. This Firefox will not import or export the bookmarks and can not read an html file on the hard disk. I added 10 Addons to this firefox.

Second accessible by clicking on an HTML file.
If I use ROX file manager to show a directory with the exported Stardust Bookmarks in an html file, a new copy of Firefox appears which can import/export/and read html files on the hard disk. Only "FTP Upload" extension appears in the Tools==>Addons display and none of the other 10 extension above appear.

Question:
How do I get the second firefox version to be my default for the icons?

Why is this happening?

Why do they have separate extension and bookmark files?

Thanks in advance for the help.

This FatDog is FAST!!!! The fastest puppy yet!!

Duane wants to make this his default Puppy, if Firefox can be fixed, replacing MINT Linux.

-Edit See Jamesbond and our post below for solution.

-Bruce and Duane.

Last edited by Bruce_n_Duane on Thu 24 Mar 2011, 14:32; edited 1 time in total
jamesbond

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar 2011, 05:55    Post subject:  

Bruce/Duane, there aren't two Firefoxes on Fatdog. There is only one. But one is associated with the user spot (a non-root user), and the other is associated with root user (the default user in most puppies, including Fatdog).

kirk designed Fatdog with security in mind, and he figured out that the biggest risk comes from network-based programs. To reduce this risk, all network-based programs (including Firefox) will not run as the default root user, but it will run as the non-root limited "spot" user. This is what you get when you click the Firefox icon on the desktop, or the browser icon on the taskbar.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), "spot" being a limited user, means that there are a lot of places that it cannot (or not allowed) to access. Depending on where you store you HTML files, they may be located in a folder that spot cannot access - thus, from your point of view, Firefox cannot display those pages.

When you open rox and click an HTML page, the same Firefox will be launched - and this time it will run under the default root user. (I'm not sure whether this is an oversight of kirk, or whether he intends to do it this way). And of course, being the root user (=superuser, alias administrator), this particular Firefox will have power to read/write anything to the system (which, if there is a security flaw, makes it more dangerous because it can modify any part of the system without you knowing it).

Linux, being a multi-user system, can store two completely different profiles for each user - and this is what happens with Firefox. There is only one, but it can run under the identity of "spot" or "root" (or other users, if you know how to create them). Each Firefox will run with completely different profile. That's why any extensions you add with Firefox running as spot, will not be visible from Firefox running as root (and vice versa).

Have I confused you enough? Very Happy

Now, if you want to have the "second" Firefox as your default browser (I suppose the one with the abilility to read HTML pages from anywhere in the filesystem - that is the one running under root), it's very easy.

With rox, navigate to the folder /usr/local/bin
Edit the file defaultbrowser and when you see the word firefox-spot, change that back to firefox.

Enjoy.

radky

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar 2011, 13:35    Post subject: PupSnap Screen Capture for Fatdog64  

The PupSnap screen capture program is now available as a 64-bit version for Fatdog64.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61361
Bruce_n_Duane

PostPosted: Thu 24 Mar 2011, 14:29    Post subject: Broken Firefox / Namoroka
Subject description: Two Firefoxes on new install of FatDog 511

Thank you Jamesbond!!!!

I can completely follow your explanation.

This makes FatDog more secure by using spot.

As root I copied the Stardust-bookmark.HTML file to /root/spot directory.
In a rwxt terminal I did the following:
# cd spot
# chmod +r Stardust-bookmark.HTML
# chown spot.spot Stardust-bookmark.HTML
# exit
Thus changing the permissions to rw-r--r-- and the owner to spot.spot.

Then in the network (firefox-spot) I imported the bookmarks since it could now read the HTMP file because spot owned it.

Duane is now very, very happy as he has his bookmarks!!!

Thank you again Jamesbond for your great explanation.

-Bruce.
Page 11 of 18 [259 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 16, 17, 18 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: