Fatdog64-511

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
myke

Redirecting output into a file

#201 Post by myke »

Bruce, to answer your last question again, in a terminal you write:

command_name >logfile.log

and the output from the command_name will not appear on the screen but go into logfile.log - this is an old Unix trick from the '70s.(and a DOS trick from the '80s).

Here command_name stands for whatever command you are working with and logfile.log stands for whatever log filer you want to create. (Sort of like x and y in algebra)
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

Bruce_n_Duane

Blank Desktops in Panel

#202 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

Frugal install of Fatdog64 511.

Have expanded the number of virtual desktops to 8.

If I open non-fullscreen application on a desktop 1 and move to desktop 2 there is no indication in the panel desktop that there is anything in desktop 1.
It is blank like all the other desktops.

In Lucid 525 I can see even the background in each virtual desktop in the panel. If the desktop is occupied then it is shown in miniture.

What is wrong with Fatdog?

-Bruce.

Bruce_n_Duane

#203 Post by Bruce_n_Duane »

Post subject: Redirecting output into a file

Myke wrote:

Code: Select all

Bruce, to answer your last question again, in a terminal you write:

command_name >logfile.log

and the output from the command_name will not appear on the screen but go into logfile.log - this is an old Unix trick from the '70s.(and a DOS trick from the '80s).

Here command_name stands for whatever command you are working with and logfile.log stands for whatever log filer you want to create. (Sort of like x and y in algebra)
Actually your redirect sends the output to the logfile.log

To send the error messages to the log file it should be.

command 2> logfile.log

My question 3. deals with messages that are appearing on the Ctl-Alt-F1 console screen from applications that run in Fatdog 511. I am asking if they are already being redirected to a log file, if so which log file and if not, how do I find out which application is putting out the error messages and how do I redirect them to a log file?

Thanks for your suggestion.

-Bruce.

tazoc

Xorg session log

#204 Post by tazoc »

Bruce_n_Duane wrote:My question 3. deals with messages that are appearing on the Ctl-Alt-F1 console screen from applications that run in Fatdog 511. I am asking if they are already being redirected to a log file, if so which log file and if not, how do I find out which application is putting out the error messages and how do I redirect them to a log file?
I wondered about that also. Here's what I did: edit line #111 of /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin with a text editor like this

#/usr/X11R7/bin/xinit #/root/.xinitrc -- -br -nolisten tcp > /tmp/xerrs.log 2>&1
  /usr/X11R7/bin/xinit -br -nolisten tcp > /tmp/xerrs.log 2>&1 
Save the file and restart X. If it works then you can open /tmp/xerrs.log. The Xorg log is at /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Messages prior to X starting still show by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1, then Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to X. Boot logs are at /initrd/tmp/bootinit.log and /tmp/bootsysinit.log.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

gcmartin

Saw a brief discussion on DVD+RW on the thread

#205 Post by gcmartin »

I saw the DVD+RW concerns and answers on the thread. And, I reviewed the Pburn thread.

I have 2 questions:
  1. Does FATDOG offer "ISOMASTER" as a PET somewhere?
  2. Does FATDOG provide a complete Pburn as shown herewith its Dependencies showing packages "Required", "Others", and "Plugins" which completes a Pburn offering?
Thanks in advance.

rcrsn51

#206 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here about using 32-bit printer driver packages in Fatdog.

mikeslr

Belated Congrads and Observations about oddities & 1 request

#207 Post by mikeslr »

Congratulations Kirk, jamesbond and others who helped in developing a very nice, functional and stable puplet. I apologize that I have not had to opportunity to read all the threads leading up to it. Consequently, some of the things mentioned below may have been previously discussed. Some may result from my own preferences or from the system its being run on. Please don't take them as a severe criticism as Fatdog is likely to become my primary OS as it is appreciably faster than any 32-bit puppy. Applications open "instantly".

Mine is a frugal install, unpacked from the ISO into its own directory on the partition on which I keep all my puppies, and added to Grub4dos from Lucid 525. My system is a ZT using a Phenom II X4 920 @ 2.8GHz with 4 Gb Ddr2 Sdram.

One of the reasons I place all my puppies on the same partition is that, when possible, I prefer running applications from /mnt/home which is formatted as Ext3. As I had used an XP relational database known as InfoCentral to keep notes for 20-odd years before starting to work with Linux, one of the first things I do in setting up any puplet is install wine. As there was no wine pet, and I didn’t think jrb’s linker app would work, I used bootmanager to load fd64-32bit-libs-6.sfs & wine-1.3.8-i486.sfs on bootup.

I successfully installed InfoCentral (which installs to .wine/drive_c/Program Files) , and Infocentral.pet (built in Lupu). The latter merely creates a menu entry by installing a script (and an icon) to /my-applications/bin and a desktop file which calls them. Along the same lines, I was able to run 7-Zip and FoxitReader (XP Portables) from /mnt/home; and use pets created in Lupu to add menu entries using the same method as with InfoCentral. I mention these because i ran into problems trying to call Opera 64-bit, unpacked in /mnt/home and Filezilla portable using scripts in /my-applications/bin.

With the script in /my-applications/bin, clicking /usr/share/applications/opera.desktop reported “no file or directory.
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 21 May 2011, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

kirk

#208 Post by kirk »

Thanks for the info on the bad link, it will be fixed in 520 coming maybe late June. I posted a pet package for Fatdog64 on the Frisbee thread. I'd give you a link to it, but I'm using a Blackberry right now.

tazoc

Fatdog 64 Frisbee Pet

#209 Post by tazoc »

[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

HiDeHo

#210 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi for my puppy setups i use this file here http://pastebin.com/VLAruMMC

it lets me use the boot options from the standard puppy live cd.

are there any other specific boot options used for fatdog apart from these.

HiDeHo

#211 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi if i load and use the 32bit sfs for fatdog. will i be able to install other pets or 32 bit apps.

jfh

Full HD install

#212 Post by jfh »

hmm post keeps disappearing.
Last edited by jfh on Sun 15 May 2011, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

jfh

One more time

#213 Post by jfh »

Fatdog64 511 full hd install. MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) motherboard, Nvidia GTX 460 8 gig ram

Really liking fd so far. A puppy that sees all of my ram!! Snappy, speedy..

The next part of the post is for google and people beating their head against the wall.

The only install problem was the Ethernet driver. This not a puppy specific problem it's in all distros I have used with this chip the rlt8168. Linux only includes the r8169 driver and it causes intermittent connection or in the case of Fatdog no connection at all.

The fix is to downland the r8168 specific driver, not found in the Realtek site search so here it is.

(Well maybe not, I can't post with the url here so look at the bottom if you need it. would not work in FF or chrome. Formatting weirdness.)

You have to blacklist r8169 in modprobe.d blacklist.conf

In Puppies ./autorun.sh is the only way it would work. Error messages and all, devx.xxx required

Other distrs would only work with make clean, make, make install.

Every distro required different things to get it to work. Puppy was the easiest, reboot and or network wizard.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... 3ERTL8168E

DC

#214 Post by DC »

Hi to all,

Could somebody please point me to the Kernel headers/source sfs as I can't seem find it

thanks

DC

jfh

kernel headers

#215 Post by jfh »

If I remember correctly the devx file has the headers included.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... g/sfs/500/

l2ulinux

Fatdog64-511

#216 Post by l2ulinux »

Can anyone help tell me were to find more programs that will work?
I need more plugins that will work in FireFox. How can I upgrade FireFox are install a new one that will work?

All help needed

DC

#217 Post by DC »

Hi all,

@jfh
correct I had a look in the devx file and the headers are there thanks

Next problem
I tried installing fd64-devx_511.sfs into a full install of Fatdog 511
using the command (from the mounted devx)

cp -a * /
Which I have always used and used with the LibreOfc-3.3.1_en-US_64bit_sfs4.sfs no problem.

But with the devx it crashes resulting in a black screen which only a hard reboot will fix
I've re downloaded the devx but same problem persists
there is 2.5gig of space in this partion

Anybody got any clues please

thanks

DC

l2ulinux

Fatdog64-511

#218 Post by l2ulinux »

When I first tried Fatdog64-500 I was very disappointed with it. I had not used a 64 bit OS at the time, I was lost. I have come to love it more and more. I have tried Ubuntu, LinuxMint, and Debian programs all 64 and have very little luck with them working. But this has about everything I need.

Can someone tell me how to use the sfs packages?

DC

#219 Post by DC »

Hi l2ulinux,

sfs install
This is the way I do it for a full install.
Libreoffice as a example
mount the sfs ( just left click on it )
in the rox window right click and select "Window" then select "Terminal Here" from the context menu
or if you use the back tic key ( top left of my keyboard) it pops one open with the path inherited from the window
( try the command ls and you should see all the files same as the mounted window )

type cp -a * /
(cp SPACE -a SPACE * SPACE / )
this copys all the files in the sfs to the / directory with all the paths and files in the right place.
then you have to find the start script or bin file in this case its
/opt/libreoffice/program/soffice or scalc or switer etc
I drag this to my desktop and it should work :shock:
I don't bother putting things in the puppy menus as the desk top is good enough for me as I usually only have scalc and swriter from a sfs

below are some of my old notes regarding devx.sfs install

DC

updated 12/4/09

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=286701

copy the devx_412.sfs file to /
click on the devx_412.sfs file (in ROX)
once the file mounts a ROX window will open to display contents
right click and select "Window" then select "Terminal Here" from the context menu.
From the command line type cp -a * / (cp SPACE -a SPACE * SPACE / )
The above mentioned error messages will appear
Once hdd activity has stopped and the command prompt # re-appears type gcc and tap the enter key
You should see a message on the order of: "gcc:no input files"
Close the terminal window and click on the devx_412.sfs file to unmount it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37462

Download devx_412.sfs from here:
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distrib ... modules-4/
Click on it so that Puppy mounts it. A window will appear with the contents of the file. Open a terminal window at that location (either press the `back-quote` key, or right-click and go to "Window->Terminal Here") and run this command:
cp -a * /
That will take a while. It will copy all the files into your normal filesystem. It will probably give an error about 'strings' being in use already. Ignore it. When it's finished, you should be able to run this command:
gcc --version
and get output like this:
Code:
# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.2.2
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

#

If so, it worked. Close the terminal, close the window, and click on the devx_412.sfs file again to unmount it. You no longer need the file. You can keep it around if you want, or delete it.

Rickkk

"fd64-511.sfs not found " ....

#220 Post by Rickkk »

Hi all,

Tried searching high and low for a solution to this. After installing FatDog 511 frugally, GRUB boots the kernel, but stops after searching for the fd64-511.sfs file and not finding it. Have tried leaving copies of it in several directories, but to no avail.

Installed frugally using Puppy Universal Installer on an ext4 partition (sda5) after booting liveCD successfully. Also installed on the same partition are Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit and the 32-bit Lucid Puppy 525 - frugal, both of which boot fine. FatDog frugal files are in subdirectory /fatdog64_511. Here is my FatDog GRUB entry:

title FatDog64 5.1.1
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
kernel /fatdog64_511/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd root=/dev/sda5 pfix=ram psubdir=/fatdog64_511
initrd /fatdog64_511/initrd.gz

Need help ! Thx ...

Rick