Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

#496 Post by playdayz »

Over 3 Months in Development
Over 230 forum pages
Over 50 contributors

This is *NOT* the official release of Lucid Puppy 5.2. This is the release candidate.

Lupu-520 RC is posted in the first message of this thread.

Tasgarth

Lupu 52 RC

#497 Post by Tasgarth »

Lupu 52 RC
CD-Live : OK
reboot > pupsave (ext3) : OK
several reboots : OK
Azerty, FR_fr : OK

NVidia (GeForce) : OK
glxgears => 46145 frames

Htop => Mem 84/1010Mb

SFS :
seamonkey2 +fasplayer+ jre : OK
VLC : OK (sound and threads) : OK
Gimp : OK

excellent work every one.

James C

#498 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Old problem is occuring again. Full install of 518 on my main Linux box. Sound muted every reboot. Use Retrovol, check the appropriate boxes and adjust the appropriate sliders and the sound works until I reboot.
Was running the frugal installs until earlier today, simply forgot about this install.
Planning to do a fresh full install of 519 tomorrow and see what happens since there are no sound problems in the 2 frugal installs of 519 on this box.
Just got the full install of 519 finished and now 520 RC is released.... :lol:

Anyway, working sound in full install of 519 and persistent through several reboots. Downloading 520 RC.........

mikeslr

JWM Theme Configuration note responding -- SOLVED

#499 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Playdaz & All,

I'm in 520, having decided to experiment. While in Lucid 511 I deleted 519's files, except SAVEFILe, unpacked 520's ISO, and substituted 520's files into former 519's directory. It booted to desktop after "upgrading" the SAVEFile, which involved "reverting to official." The result: the 3 apps I had installed in 519 made it. So, surprisingly, did my wireless settings. But my desktop settings didn't.

After changing to a rather dark wallpaper, it was difficult to read the digital clock on the task bar. Tried to change the theme using JWM Configuration Manager, but the "Restart JWM Now?" button is unresponsive.

Someone using a more orthodox installation method should test it.

Edit: Problem was that Lucid 520 uses Openbox as its default windows manager and I didn't know it.(':oops:')

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Thu 06 Jan 2011, 23:33, edited 2 times in total.

Jades

#500 Post by Jades »

Burning the disc for 520 now. Had another two attempts at upgrading 511 to 519 on the LiveCD install on the Pentium D machine and networking was still buggered. Hopefully I'll have more luck with 520. Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things as the few files that were on the save are easily transferred but it'll be interesting to see if other peoples' long-term 511 saves will make the transition.

The 511 Frugal -> 519 Frugal on the K6 is still working and in fact is the install currently burning the disc! Current plan is to retain the full install on that machine as Lupu 511 as it all works, and have a frugal of 520 for continued testing. The actual user data on that machine is on a dedicated ext3 partition in any case so in general I can switch Puppy versions at will.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

01micko

#501 Post by 01micko »

Hi mikeslr

I suspect you may have still been in openbox which has a transparent panel... that's why a dark background would obscure the clock.

I just tested the button you said may be at fault (restart jwm) and it seems to work fine in JWM

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jades

#502 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Hi mikeslr

I suspect you may have still been in openbox which has a transparent panel... that's why a dark background would obscure the clock.
While we know that it's possible to change the colour of the clock, I still think that it'd be sensible to have the default colour as white to match the text on the rest of the pinboard and, indeed, the text on the menu button.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

James C

#503 Post by James C »

On the old P3 test box.......
Fresh manual frugal install of 520........no internet on initial boot but SNS popped up so easy fix. No other problems.
Updated the Trinity/KDE install from 519 to 520......no problems. Booted into Openbox, used the WM Switcher to change to KDE.Looking good.

tubeguy

#504 Post by tubeguy »

WOOHOO! Best one yet! glxgears up to 285 (my video system is suck-tacular, that is actually a good result for me), sound stays on after multiple reboots. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Even with all my extras the whole system fits on one CD. God I love Puppy.

You've tried the rest, now try the best, LUPU 5.2! :D
Attachments
puptop01-04-11.jpg
(93 KiB) Downloaded 29385 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Saturn

#505 Post by Saturn »

James C

#506 Post by James C »

On the main Linux box.....
Manual frugal upgrade from 511 to 520.No real problems except.....
The only widget that would run was the clock. Uninstalled and then reinstalled PWidgets 2.2.7 and working fine again.

Installed Icewm from the PPM, the WM Switcher wouldn't change to icewm (did nothing) and exit to prompt from the menu did nothing. Ctrl/Alt/B-s to a prompt worked and afterward the WM Switcher appeared to start working again.
Had already changed from Openbox to JWM so I know the WM Switcher was working earlier.
Otherwise, all previously installed apps are still working and didn't lose any saved "stuff".

James C

#507 Post by James C »

Lupu-520

01micko

#508 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:(snip)Installed Icewm from the PPM, the WM Switcher wouldn't change to icewm (did nothing) and exit to prompt from the menu did nothing. Ctrl/Alt/B-s to a prompt worked and afterward the WM Switcher appeared to start working again.
Had already changed from Openbox to JWM so I know the WM Switcher was working earlier.
Otherwise, all previously installed apps are still working and didn't lose any saved "stuff".
I just tried with a fresh frugal and icewm installs and switches just fine, so it must be one of those 'upgrade' things we have to watch out for :lol:

Cheers

eztuxer

#509 Post by eztuxer »

USB stick (2GB) install. (520RC)
Running on AAO netbook @ 1.6 GHz, with 1.5GB ram.
When configuring number of desktops in JWM config, the restart JWM now button is dead, and no restart JWM option in shutdown menu.
I'm stuck with only 2 desktops.
Asides from this, good wifi support using rt3370sta.pet
Firefox 4.0b7 screaming fast !
Last edited by eztuxer on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

gcmartin

PUP519 good news

#510 Post by gcmartin »

Here's my current system running 2 PETs; Xorg-HIGH and SAMBA.
The good news is look at memory counts on this little PC. It is very responsive and functional even while several other PCs are backing up to it. simultaneously.
All I do on a Windows PC is open Netwrok Neighborhood, locate this PUP519, and point the backup to its download folder. Simple..

Code: Select all

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid Puppy, version 519
Chip description:  Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
Driver used by Xorg: intel
Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution:  Depth 24  Depth: "Display"

# hardinfo
-Computer-
Processor		: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Memory		: 507MB (58MB used)
Operating System		: Puppy Linux 0.51
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Tue 04 Jan 2011 10:27:44 PM UTC

-Display-
Resolution		: 1400x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 845G GEM 20091221 2009Q4 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation

-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
Audio Adapter		: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Headphone Set  

-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF
pdf_writer		: <i>Default</i>

-SCSI Disks-
ATA SAMSUNG SV6003H
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1612
But, to get here, it takes 4 reboots. And on the 5th, SAMBA's /var/opt/samba/locks is not there and must be recreated on each reboot (probably something we dont want newbies doing).

Reasons for all the reboots is that I have NOT found the "yellow brick road" for installing XorgHigh and SAMBA using QuickPET. Seems the system losing lots on reboot after session save.(s). I have documentd console logs but, it too much to put here. I will open a new thread on "LiveCD with PUP5.2" when you go live to show some/most of the frustrations that's occurring. But for now, let's just day that a documented path to get some configurations on LiveCD requires experience, and a personal document of what works and what doesn't work with LiveCd.

Amyway, everything looks good on the desktop and everything is working wonderfully. Let's fix that remaining SAMBA issue before you go live.
P.S. Downloading PUP520 and will try Xorg_HIGH and SAMBA installation via QucikPET again to collect installation results. The current LiveCDs behave different than 5.1 did.

James C

#511 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:
James C wrote:(snip)Installed Icewm from the PPM, the WM Switcher wouldn't change to icewm (did nothing) and exit to prompt from the menu did nothing. Ctrl/Alt/B-s to a prompt worked and afterward the WM Switcher appeared to start working again.
I just tried with a fresh frugal and icewm installs and switches just fine, so it must be one of those 'upgrade' things we have to watch out for :lol:

Cheers
I installed Icewm on the fresh frugal 520 on the P3 and everything was fine there too.

I generally don't upgrade any distro........my success rate has been about 50 percent so I usually just install fresh.

l0wt3ch

#512 Post by l0wt3ch »

JACK/Qjackctl crashes for some reason - both the pet package I made before (that used to work), and the new version from Maverick. Any idea what could have changed to cause this? (I've already tried the i686 ffmpeg and libc6 pets just in case.)
Last edited by l0wt3ch on Sat 08 Jan 2011, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#513 Post by James C »

Just upgraded the full install on the main Linux box from 519 to 520. No problems at all. :)

Already had Icewm installed and on this upgrade no problems...... the WM Switcher changed from Openbox to Icewm ootb. Basically needed to reset the default browser and was ready to go.

bigpup

Re: JWM Theme Configuration note responding

#514 Post by bigpup »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Playdaz & All,
After changing to a rather dark wallpaper, it was difficult to read the digital clock on the task bar. Tried to change the theme using JWM Configuration Manager, but the "Restart JWM Now?" button is unresponsive.

Someone using a more orthodox installation method should test it.
mikesLr
eztuxer wrote:When configuring number of desktops in JWM config, the restart JWM now button is dead, and no restart JWM option in shutdown menu.
I'm stuck with only 2 desktops.
Here are two examples of confusion about what window manager is in use and what program to use to change configuration.
Operating in Openbox and trying to change settings with JWM config.
Suggest identifying Window Manager on initial start of Lupu 520's wallpaper.
Lucid Puppy 5.2
Desktop Managed by
Openbox

01micko

#515 Post by 01micko »

well I thinks it's messy putting version numbers and stuff on the wallpaper.. a user should ideally rtfm.. there will be release notes when we are released :lol:

Best I can offer is (another :roll: ) hack to partview, maybe I should have thought of this weeks ago, but I had other priorities :wink: Probably a bit late for final now, as only essential bugs are to be fixed now, if any.

Cheers
Attachments
partview_hack-1.pet
(798 Bytes) Downloaded 253 times