Repairing badly damaged (mainly music) CD s

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Sage

Repairing badly damaged (mainly music) CD s

#1 Post by Sage »

There are a number of tricks to try to restore one's favourite CD after one's favourite lady accidentally stepped on it with her hiking boots.
On the underside, it's relatively easy - there are machines, but I use VIM (magnesia) followed by acrylic polish, and, when I can get it, finest diamond polish from a met. lab. The top side is much more difficult, but I usually start with a spray coating of matt black acrylic paint. Finally re-record it onto a music CD. That's about the limit of the physical resurrection steps, so then it comes down to stitching together the good stuff that remains undamaged with a SW utility. Many years ago, I used to have a W98 solution. Can't find it and rarely use W98 any more. Is there one for Linux? Is there one that might be adapted for Puppy? Probable that there's an huge demand out there?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

That's a tough one. Have you tried mhWaveEdit? It is surprisingly powerful.
The data layer of a CD is on the top, protected only by a thin film of lacquer. So if you scratch a CD on its top you've very likely lost some data. But mhWaveEdit may provide the tools to at least fill in the bad spots and splice the song back together without pops and such.