vertical refrsh hell

Booting, installing, newbie
gary

vertical refrsh hell

#1 Post by gary »

In Lupu I was fiddling around with some apps and suddenly found my display had shifted low and left, such that part of it is off the screen. It is a 15inch LCD with 1024x768 native at 60hz. I pushed the auto_adjust button on the monitor and it tried to bring the screen back, but was unable. I found my video (on-board GF6100) was refreshing at 75hz which the monitor does not support. Now I seem unable to change the vert refresh back to 60hz in spite of trying Xorg Wizard and Resolution Changer. Looking at xorg.conf I see nothing about refresh rates or resolution at all? It's almost as if the system somehow reverted to a generic xorg file??? I did a search in here and found others with similar problems which either fizzle out with no solution, or the user had to perform some strange ritual like unplugging hardware, or reverting back to a previous version. This does not seem realistic for the average person. Can anyone tell me how to absolutely reset my video back to a working set of parameters?
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]

mill0001

#2 Post by mill0001 »

Gary, I dk if the devs would tell you this is the right way to fix your problem or not, but I had a similar issue when I installed a different nvidia driver on lupu. Here's how I fixed it. Go to /etc/X11/ and delete all the existing xorg.conf files and then reboot. On reboot the xorgwizard should run and let you reconfigure your set-up.

gary

#3 Post by gary »

OK, tried stripping out zorg conf files and rebooting. The system rebooted and did bring up the xorg wizard. I was able to choose 1024x768 @ 16bit, but when the system fully booted to desktop it was was at the proper rez but even further skewed to the lower left than previously. Pushing the LCD monitor Auto-Adjust button centers the screen for a second then it reverts back to its shifted position??? This is bizare!

This little 15 inch LCD has been my test monitor for about 7 or 8 years and I have never had sync problems with it, so I feel quite positive it is not the monitor. Anyway, I decided to re-install Lupu on my flash drive and start over. After re-installing, I plugged in the flash and rebooted. The display came up in the proper rez, but slightly shifted low. In this case, however, a simple Auto-Adjust on the monitor corrected the problem and centered the display (as expected). Everything worked fine for that session until I decided to reboot... and afterwards I am back to the screen shifted low left and it is NOW uncorrectable by the monitor! The strange thing is once it goes into this mode, I am unable to select the 1024x768@60hz video mode. Instead I am offered 75Hz, 55Hz and some others that my monitor is unable to sync to... Weird - very weird!

Another thing is if I use xvidtune in xorg wizard, I can tweak the display to center, but it is not persistent; i.e., when I reboot it goes back to the shifted screen. ...and yes, I tried the "show" button to make the changes "permanent". ...aging, weird, very weird.

If Ricky Ricardo were here I can almost hear him saying... "Lupu you got some splaining to do".
[b]Hasten Slowly![/b]

mill0001

#4 Post by mill0001 »

Gary, I would guess that either the sync circuit in your monitor has taken a dump or the onboard video on the mobo is going away. Do you have another monitor you can hook up to see if it changes anything? First tho you might want to try another version of puppy on there to see if it is the OS causing the problem.