Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
bwh1969

#91 Post by bwh1969 »

This is a very promising puppy derivative. It has some of the stuff in Fluppy I like (although I don't see the OSD stuff with my fn Keys but I assume they work) but is build on Lucid for more recent packages.

I fixed the VLC issue in a simple way... I mounted a VLC sfs I found and went to the /lib/vlc directory and copied all the codecs out of the folder onto my system.

pemasu

#92 Post by pemasu »

marco07
Posted on 19 Aug 2010, 8:06 by BarryK
about package removal (Remove builtin packages)
The link belove is such a tool, Remove built in packages:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 950#422950
...you then remaster the CD and the application is not just hidden, it is gone.

Note, if your (Woof-built) Puppy has directory /root/.packages/builtin_files, then you do have the infrastructure present to support puppymartin's removal tool.
Snow Puppy is woof built. It has /root/.packages/builtin_files included.
Remove built in packages needs also remastering of the iso. There is some quirks to be known when you remaster. Like /root content, to have those hidden folders and files included which you want to include. Play with it and you will learn how it works. Built in removal gives you possibility to really remove apps from your remastered puppy iso. Backup your savefile before you start playing :)
I didnt mention this tool at first because I dont have any experience of its usage. But if somebody report of success, we all benefit of the information.
I fixed the VLC issue in a simple way... I mounted a VLC sfs I found and went to the /lib/vlc directory and copied all the codecs out of the folder onto my system.
bwh1969
Nice trick. I didnt know that was possible. Do you have a link to that vlc sfs so that I could see what vlc version it is.

marco07

#93 Post by marco07 »

Thank!
I will try your instructions and start playing with myinstalled one to see how it works out.

pemasu

#94 Post by pemasu »

Realtek wifi driver for RTL8191SE-VA2/8192SE chips
Than you for compiling the driver bwh1969

James C

#95 Post by James C »

Been running Snow Puppy most of today,working fine and no new problems to report.

pemasu

#96 Post by pemasu »

James C. Thank you of report. Because of your VLC finding of those missing libs, I found that woof had downloaded wrong hal package which missed those hal libs. I have corrected the error.
For VLC, is there somewhere in the net place for testing different codecs ?

Snow Puppy-008 is close now. It is mostly for including ndiswrapper, some wifi driver modules and added back functionality of old internet connection wizard for ndiswrapper.
I have also included new snapmerge for faster saving when shutdown, new remasterpup2, you2pup corrected and functioning version, fixed scribus of missing libs, fixed the menu lookout.
Now I am wondering should I drop FoxitReader out. I seem to use mostly evince for pdf, and I havent needed FoxitReader more than twice. Snow Puppy iso size will be 230 Mb with older and bigger VLC 1.0.6 (for full codecs) and dropping FoxitReader would reduce the size also.

James C

#97 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote: For VLC, is there somewhere in the net place for testing different codecs ?

Now I am wondering should I drop FoxitReader out. I seem to use mostly evince for pdf, and I havent needed FoxitReader more than twice. Snow Puppy iso size will be 230 Mb with older and bigger VLC 1.0.6 (for full codecs) and dropping FoxitReader would reduce the size also.
I don't really know of a site to test codecs but I downloaded Barry K's video testing files which I use, but the link escapes me right now.Playdayz also has some test files and between the two most video formats are covered.I'll try to remember where I got them..... :lol:

Don't see any problem dropping Foxit.... I use it occasionally but it's still available at ibiblio so no problem grabbing it if needed.

James C

#98 Post by James C »

Here's the link to Barry's video test files
http://puppylinux.com/test/media-test-video/

and a link to some test sites
http://puppylinux.com/test/media-test-video/sites.txt

and even more info
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/TestingMultimedia

jim3630

#99 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:jim3630. Can you check in 006 what eth0 driver module and wlan0 driver module is loaded and works. You see them easily from SNS. And do you see them also loaded in 007 with SNS.

I can only think that kernel module driver has now problems with this newly compiled kernel. Drivers should be the same.
And does eth0 and wlan0 work in Fluppy 012 ?
Have you also checked the md5sum of your downloaded iso ?
pemasu in 006 Eth0 is r8169 pci: RTL8101E PCI Express, Wlan0 is "Broadcom Device Unknown" In 007 can't see or load any of the provided drivers to enable to see Wlan0. Don't know about Fluppy 012 but Knoppix v6.44, Fatdog 64 511, and IIRC Mijn Pup 52b3 sees Wlan0 and makes wifi connection by running pwireless or Frisbee. Except Knoppix do have to manually input Ip info then connects. Thanks for all your work on this puppy I enjoy using 006. jim

pemasu

#100 Post by pemasu »

jim3630. Thank you of additional information. In SNS you should also see what driver is used for wifi. Eth0 seems to use r8169 driver.
I need still information of working wifi driver in those puppies where the connection is succesful.
For wifi broadcom there are b43 and b43legacy drivers at least. I will include also wl driver for broadcom wifi in Snow Puppy-008. Using wl driver needs possibly loaded b43 and ssb drivers unloaded first and also they needs to be blacklisted. At least I remember reading so.

It is really weird that modules in previously compiled kernel works and then recompile makes them nonworkable. Mysterious thing.

But for bcm4313 the wl driver is sometimes succesful, but needs those above conflicting drivers first unloaded with rmmod, then blacklisted with Bootmanager, add wl with Bootmanager and then reboot.

Also it is good to know that my previous kernel compile has that working property. I might try to build the kernel source again just for bcm4313 sake. Unfortunately the previous source has something nonworking in it.

I will upload Snow Puppy-008 probably tonight.

pemasu

#101 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-008 is uploaded. Some bugfixes and several additions.
3 wifi drivers and ndiswrapper is added. Also the old classic internet Wizard for ndiswrapper usage. Remasterpup2 by shinobar replaces the previous version. Snapmergepuppy is updated to the new experimental version for faster shutdown. You2pup is added. Xournal missing libs is fixed. VLC is reverted back to the better codecs support 1.0.6 version. Missing libs for it is fixed. Menu categorization is rearranged for some apps.
FoxitReader is removed.

Download links and md5sums: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-008/

bwh1969

ati proprietary

#102 Post by bwh1969 »

Latest ati radeon source from ati compiles and installs fine in snow puppy. I have a Radeon Mobility 3200 graphics card. The open source radeon looks good enough but the proprietary driver has the PowerPlay feature that can regulate the clock of the card when on battery.

You need to have the source sfs and the devx.sfs loaded but it built in under a minute on my machine and created the infamously fickle to create fglrx.ko module.

There are bits and pieces that install all over so just attaching the .ko file won't help anyone. There are executables that need to run to create the first /etc/X11/xrog.conf.

Just wanted to report that it builds.

nooby

#103 Post by nooby »

Number 8 works good on my Acer D250. I have it first on the menu.lst so it always boot.

But the upgrade I did using the old Snow puppy 5 sfs save file did not include the Adobe Flash player.

Which such pet do you prefer to work together with Snow 8?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jim3630

#104 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:jim3630. Thank you of additional information. In SNS you should also see what driver is used for wifi. Eth0 seems to use r8169 driver.
Sorry not clear that was from SNS. It is a mystery to me. I just plug them in and hope they work. Exchanging drivers is easy with the apt you have installed. I have tried loading drivers onto the kernel before but it wasn't a pretty sight. Here's hoping 008 is gtg.jim

jim3630

#105 Post by jim3630 »

008 did it! Found wlan0 eth0 and Frisbee connected straight away. Thanks again jim

pemasu

#106 Post by pemasu »

jim3630. Thats great. It wasnt useless to make new update then.

nooby. Here is downloadflash pet. Install it. Then in console: #dldflash
It should launch the flashplayer downloader.
Attachments
downloadflash-001.pet
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 19 Feb 2011, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#107 Post by nooby »

Thanks, wow they must have fast servers there at Adobe it installed in a few seconds.

Edit Ooops did not mean to criticize your priorities. I only tried to get what I am using daily now for months. Thanks indeed for providing it.

I am surprised that the upgrade from 05 to 08 was so small that it did not have to do anything noticeable at boot time. Usually on lupu the OS loads and loads the changes and that take a long time. I have to read on your first page what it is I am using. You have combined from the best of all distros you have tried out?

You have the needed code from Jemimah to give it RFKILL and the threaded something and so on? Quote from first page
SnowPuppy-007 7.2.2011 is the 7. version, woof builded Lucid 511 using 29.12.2010 uploaded woof so it has updated packages from woof on that date. Woof builds Lucid 512 but I have added many apps also and updated kernel to 2.6.35.7

The latest development is documented here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 690#496690

I used Playdayz Lucid Puppy 511 specs and templates and added updated packages from Lucid 5.2 development thread, selfcompiled apps and apps from forum. Many apps are updated and a lot of apps are added.
Last edited by nooby on Sat 19 Feb 2011, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#108 Post by pemasu »

nooby. I know. I should update the first page. There has been 4 updates since profound information update in first page.
I will do it in about 2 days.

marco07

#109 Post by marco07 »

Down loaded snow puppy 008 and installed (frugal) onto my Thinkpad laptop R60. Everthing is working fine. Even suspend to and resume from ram. So far, so goog :D . Again a very nice job!
My only question at this time.
How can I reduce the font size in menus only? I mean not global but only in menus.
Thanks again!

pemasu

#110 Post by pemasu »

marco07. /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme. Play with it. For menu font size change value under: <!-- MENU PROPERTIES --> and there: <Font>DejaVu Sans-10</Font> for example. You can change the font and size here.

To change the height of the menu boxes: /root/.jwmrc and there change the height: <RootMenu label="Menu" labeled="false" height="20" onroot="3">