Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jim3630

#76 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Nooby. Thanks of your testing. VLC needs some investigation. Unfortunately codecs are hardcoded when compiling. Only way is to revert to the previous one or try another.

The browser problem happens to me also sometimes. Fortunately it has gone away after rebooting.

For ndiswrapper usage. I really don`t know much about it. For easier usage i made modified build of net_setup-20101020.pet

It will add back the classic internet wizard. After installing the pet the Internet by wired or wireless LAN menu option is enabled. So you can use it for ndiswrapper and windows .inf files loading. But I removed the original rc.network script from the pet, because Snow Puppies use modified rc.network already. Does that affect the loading of ndiswrapper or usage of windows driver, I don`t know. But you can test and report.
Hi, enjoyed ver.006 was able to connect with wifi straight away on my Latitude D610 with BCM 4313 ethernet. Now no go. will try this pet and let you know. thanks for the puppy jim

bwh1969

reaktec

#77 Post by bwh1969 »

with the sfs for the source included in 007, the realtec 8192se_pci source built fine.

Oddly, dhcpcd did not exist on my machine, nor dhclient. I tried both from the command line. I installed a pet for dhcpcd for 431 and rebooted and frisbee was able to configure my wireless and connect.

It still says wlan0 is down on boot and does not connect until I launch frisbee manually (I don't need to do anything other than open frisbee from the menu though so it did save my profile).

At any rate, it looks great and works fairly well. I would make a pet package for the wireless but I am unsure how to go about that as I have never tried it.

James C

#78 Post by James C »

Finally made the time to do a manual frugal install of 007 on my main Linux box.Everything worked on initial boot.......screen resolution(1440x900), internet and sound.
I'll confirm the missing codecs for VLC...mp4,wmv,avi,rm and mov results in no video in VLC.......they all play fine in MPlayer though. :)
It's nice that you included Streamtuner 2, I use it a lot.
No real problems have appeared yet so on to some testing.Really solid release. :)

pemasu

#79 Post by pemasu »

Hi folks. Thank you of your reports. The internet connection problems needs definetely investigation. I will look on to it. And make fixing pet or new Snow Puppy with fixes when I hopefully have resolved them. I made many things in fast time to get kernel module compiling environment working. Distro checking wasnt the first thing.

bwh1969. Please, can you upload the kernel module driver, ....ko something. I will package it as pet and i will also include it to the next Snow Puppy.

jim3630. What seems to be the problem. Does the driver load ? Doesnt it find your dhcp provider ? Or something else. I am curious and willing to find cure. Thank you.

About VLC. I will roll back to the good old 1.0.6 build which just works. There is also the dejan555 build version 1.1.0. When I meet him in the irc, I will ask if it supports those formats. Compiling VLC is something I still wouldnt like to do.

Dhcpcd. It is included in Snow Puppy in /usr/local/sbin/dhcpcd. It should be launched by Frisbee. At least it is with my laptop.

pemasu

#80 Post by pemasu »

Internet connection problems. I found already one reason.
In /etc/init.d there are 2 Frisbee launchers. 10-Frisbee and Frisbee. Delete /etc/init.d/10-Frisbee script. It is older one and not needed. Probably disturbs normal Frisbee startup. I will fix the problem in the next Snow Puppy.

bwh1969

#81 Post by bwh1969 »

@ pemasu --> I will package this up this evening sometime, EDT, USA.

Can you include LXTerminal... many people like the easy copy/paste into the terimal it provides. There is a pet for that @

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=15514

it needs vte

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=23643

No biggie if you are opposed to it, but it is a more funtional terminal.

pemasu

#82 Post by pemasu »

bwh1969. Snow Puppy has already Roxterm. It supports copy-paste. You can find it in menu - utility.
To make it default for file opening by right click - Window - Terminal here:
Right click any icon - Rox-filer - Options - Menus - change xterm to roxterm.

You can also drag /usr/share/applications/roxterm.desktop file to desktop.

I am sure the Console icon behavior is also possible to change.
EDIT: /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin and change row 27 to usr/bin/roxterm instead of urxvt.
Then in console: #rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
And console icon launches Roxterm.

I dont want to change default pinboard behavior, because woof building with downloaded packages would need manual editing everytime new woof is downloaded.

There is LXterminal and Sakura which both supports copy-paste. Snow Puppy has vte already. Just install LXterminal or Sakura and it works.
Hmm...LXterminal is small. I could add it also. Seems to work with vte already in Snow Puppy. Thank you of idea.

jim3630

#83 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:
jim3630. What seems to be the problem. Does the driver load ? Doesnt it find your dhcp provider ? Or something else. I am curious and willing to find cure. Thank you.
pemasu, in 007 deleted 10Frisbee as suggested and did not make a difference. In fact in 006 which I easily wifi connect both 10Frisbee and Frisbee are present in ect/init.d.

In 007 even after I manually enter IP info save, exit, reboot, try auto dhcp won't find my wlan0. Does see Eth0 but can't make a connection.

006 discovers sl0,wlan0,Eth0 through Frisbee but no connect at that time. then I went to the "simple network setup" and it found my 2wire, I entered the WEP saved exited and rebooted.

006 Auto connected wifi by the time I was at the desktop after reboot. Wished they all worked so well.

Hope this helps out. jiim

pemasu

#84 Post by pemasu »

jim3630. Can you check in 006 what eth0 driver module and wlan0 driver module is loaded and works. You see them easily from SNS. And do you see them also loaded in 007 with SNS.

I can only think that kernel module driver has now problems with this newly compiled kernel. Drivers should be the same.
And does eth0 and wlan0 work in Fluppy 012 ?
Have you also checked the md5sum of your downloaded iso ?

James C

#85 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Finally made the time to do a manual frugal install of 007 on my main Linux box.Everything worked on initial boot.......screen resolution(1440x900), internet and sound.
I'll confirm the missing codecs for VLC...mp4,wmv,avi,rm and mov results in no video in VLC.......they all play fine in MPlayer though. :)
It's nice that you included Streamtuner 2, I use it a lot.
No real problems have appeared yet so on to some testing.Really solid release. :)
Just for informational purposes........ I manually removed the installed VLC player and installed VLC 1.0.6 with Quickpet. Also needed to install libdbus and libhal (just searched in the PPM)....this VLC now plays all of the video formats again. :)

Everything else is is still working fine.

bwh1969

#86 Post by bwh1969 »

@ pemasu

I attached a tar of the realtek wifi r8192se_pci compiled module. I copied it out of my snowpuppy lupusave file while running fluppy from the /lib/ and subsequent directories and deleted all but the firmware directory and the final wireless directory where r8192se_pci.ko resided.

Should make it easier to make a pet package. In the meantime someone can untar it and just copy it where it belongs along the directory tree and run

depmod-FULL -a

marco07

#87 Post by marco07 »

Today, I finally got a chance and installed Snow puppy 007. I was happy to see the ndiswrapper tools included as .pet files. I run the live CD and used the net_setup thru the setup menu and installed the Windows driver for my wireless NIC. I could right away connect to the internet via my home LAN. Everything went smooth and I am typing this from snow puppy 007. So far everything seems to be working fine with no glitches at all. Nice work!
I only wish that the network connection icon for the system try was still there. Right now I do not have it on the system try.
The question I have is, is it possible to remove some of the installed (stocked) packages, e. g. abiword, gnumeric, etc.?
Will keep on testing.
Thanks for a well done job!

pemasu

#88 Post by pemasu »

bwh1969. Thank you very much. I will make a pet of your driver package. And I will include the module to the next Snow Puppy also.

Code: Select all

depmod-FULL -a 
Well. Barry Kauler has changed it back some time ago. In woof build puppies just: #depmod works. depmod-FULL is just symlink nowadays I think.

marco07. Hey, it is great, that it worked. And that you reported it !
So...ndiswrapper module and net_setup package both worked. I will include them to the next Snow Puppy.

Network_tray. This is more difficult thing. There is already frisbee-tray. I removed the network_tray from tray purposely.
But here it is as original pet. You need to reboot or click /root/Startup/network_tray and it appears to tray.

About removing apps. Well, it is possible to certain level, you can edit the main sfs with Edit sfs app. Then replace the original version with the edited sfs. Also removing apps by Edit sfs needs knowledge so that you know what libs and dependencies to remove also so that size really goes down. Difficult job.

By just using delete when original sfs is loaded, nothing really vanishes from the sfs. The changes are just marked to the savefile as removed, but the original sfs is still the same and same size. If you want to make modified puppy, you can do as I. Create your own puppy with woof. There you can spesify what you want to be included.
And I dont want to wander too far away from Barry Kauler`s puppy philosophy. I respect and follow his guidelines.

To remove apps from Menu is easy. Just remove appropriate .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. Then in console run: #fixmenus. Restart jwm.
Attachments
network_tray_lucid-2.4.5.pet
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 344 times

bwh1969

triggering tray for frisbee

#89 Post by bwh1969 »

The tray for frisbee will load if you restart X if you had a network device configured and connected. I have a workaround where I put an "ifconfig wlan0 up" at the beginning of the frisbee script in /root/Startup, then a "sleep 7" after that, it still did not show, but it would always connect after i brought up wlan0 from terminal, so I ended the same script with another "ifconfig wlan0 up"

Redundant, but it automatically connects me now and brings up the tray icon for Frisbee although it shows the double square for hardwired? If I restart X, I get the wireless icon in the tray instead... and I get 2 of them.

Weird huh?

marco07

#90 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote: marco07.
So...ndiswrapper module and net_setup package both worked. I will include them to the next Snow Puppy.
Yes. Definitely
Network_tray. This is more difficult thing. There is already frisbee-tray. I removed the network_tray from tray purposely.
But here it is as original pet. You need to reboot or click /root/Startup/network_tray and it appears to tray.
My fault! When I reported, I was still in live CD. After a frugal install the freesbie wireless icon showed up in the system try. Thus, it is OK!
About removing apps. Well, it is possible to certain level, you can edit the main sfs with Edit sfs app. Then replace the original version with the edited sfs. Also removing apps by Edit sfs needs knowledge so that you know what libs and dependencies to remove also so that size really goes down. Difficult job.
I will give up on this. Can live with installed apps.
I noticed a "Remove Builtin Pachages" item in the menu. Could this be used to remove a few packages without any problem?
To remove apps from Menu is easy. Just remove appropriate .desktop files in /usr/share/applications. Then in console run: #fixmenus. Restart jwm.
Good to know since I am still new to Puppy am learning fast.
thanks!

bwh1969

#91 Post by bwh1969 »

This is a very promising puppy derivative. It has some of the stuff in Fluppy I like (although I don't see the OSD stuff with my fn Keys but I assume they work) but is build on Lucid for more recent packages.

I fixed the VLC issue in a simple way... I mounted a VLC sfs I found and went to the /lib/vlc directory and copied all the codecs out of the folder onto my system.

pemasu

#92 Post by pemasu »

marco07
Posted on 19 Aug 2010, 8:06 by BarryK
about package removal (Remove builtin packages)
The link belove is such a tool, Remove built in packages:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 950#422950
...you then remaster the CD and the application is not just hidden, it is gone.

Note, if your (Woof-built) Puppy has directory /root/.packages/builtin_files, then you do have the infrastructure present to support puppymartin's removal tool.
Snow Puppy is woof built. It has /root/.packages/builtin_files included.
Remove built in packages needs also remastering of the iso. There is some quirks to be known when you remaster. Like /root content, to have those hidden folders and files included which you want to include. Play with it and you will learn how it works. Built in removal gives you possibility to really remove apps from your remastered puppy iso. Backup your savefile before you start playing :)
I didnt mention this tool at first because I dont have any experience of its usage. But if somebody report of success, we all benefit of the information.
I fixed the VLC issue in a simple way... I mounted a VLC sfs I found and went to the /lib/vlc directory and copied all the codecs out of the folder onto my system.
bwh1969
Nice trick. I didnt know that was possible. Do you have a link to that vlc sfs so that I could see what vlc version it is.

marco07

#93 Post by marco07 »

Thank!
I will try your instructions and start playing with myinstalled one to see how it works out.

pemasu

#94 Post by pemasu »

Realtek wifi driver for RTL8191SE-VA2/8192SE chips
Than you for compiling the driver bwh1969

James C

#95 Post by James C »

Been running Snow Puppy most of today,working fine and no new problems to report.