Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
JimCockfield

#631 Post by JimCockfield »

pemasu wrote:...You will need Eee spesific support to have all functions working...
BTW, I had always assumed that to be the case. I got the Eee PC 900 16G a few years back with an Eee PC specific version of Xandros on it (usiing a Debian base under the covers), and eventually started trying some of the the other Eee PC specific distros on it (with tweaked kernels, etc.) as they became available.

But. then someone mentioned that I should try Mint 8 on it, and sure enough, everything I used worked fine (including function keys for sound, screen brightness, etc.). Eventually, I got around to trying SimplyMEPIS on it, too (Mepis 8 and 8.5), since I've used Mepis since version 3.3 on other desktops and laptops. Sure enough, those worked fine on it. lol

So, I was worried about needing Eee PC specific distros for nothing (not to mention that I'm not very fond of netbook specific UIs like the Ubuntu Netbook inteface used by distros like Eeebuntu, etc..). I should have tried other distros sooner, versus sticking to distros targeting Eee PC models.

Now, perhaps some Eee PC specific stuff doesn't work. But, the basic things do (sound, wireless, screen resolution, touchpad, function keys for volume, brightness) in a number of distros I've tried on it, with the main difference between them being performance (and Puppy derivatives tend to have an advantage in that area).

majorfoo

#632 Post by majorfoo »

Due to the large size of distro and amount of time it takes to download each new iso release (especially on dialup), would it be possible to provide delta file containing only changes from release to release?

thanks
majorfoo

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#633 Post by Béèm »

@JimCockfield
Some laptop's have such settings in the bios also.
You always can look for your model if this is the case.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

jim3630

#634 Post by jim3630 »

jim3630 wrote:
pemasu wrote:Jim3630. It looks likek some of your installs might have broken synclient.
Copy the original stuff back from /initrd/ro2. There are 4 synclient/syndaemon files in /usr/bin.
pemasu, have all 4 files in /usr/bin/ and continue to receive same error when choose flsynclient configure your touch pad. And the no touch pad option continues to not function properly. in Ice Puppy 14 it continues to function properly.
downloaded latest sp20 iso and copied the puppy_lupu_020.sfs to my frugal hdd install with the prior safefile. the above problem continues and after deleting the app from the built in packages flsynclient continues to give message restartx.

pemasu, now unable to turn off the keypad which is my custom. any suggestions to get rid of this daemon/devil? :D

pemasu

#635 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. I dont know what has screwed synclient behavior in your savefile. To get it back might be difficult. Working synclient depends on those 4 files, synaptics driver and there are udev rules also which affect.

pemasu

#636 Post by pemasu »

I could provide delta files also. I have just been lazy. Will do so in the future.

jim3630

#637 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. I dont know what has screwed synclient behavior in your savefile. To get it back might be difficult. Working synclient depends on those 4 files, synaptics driver and there are udev rules also which affect.
oh, new savefile will do it? have pets in separate dir so if starting new savefile will fix it then it's easy to do.

pemasu

#638 Post by pemasu »

All right now I had time to do Quickpet problem fixing. I started quickpet in console and then I clicked the More Pets option. Command gtkmoz not found was the error.
Well, I copied /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz from lucid 525 and voila, Quickpet works. Lucid news started to work also. The solution was so simple.

The missing script is in the attached pet.
Attachments
quickpet_fix-0.0.1.pet
(690 Bytes) Downloaded 474 times

pemasu

#639 Post by pemasu »

JimCockfield. /etc/acpi/lid.sh is the controlling script. You could check from your Puppeee if you still have it what script governs the lid closing in it.
You could swap the contents of Snow Puppy script with the script in Puppeee. Or replace the governing scripts more profoundly if they works better with your Eee netbook.
You can get the original scripts back from /initrd/pup_ro2/etc/acpi. They are there as read only state so they are unchanged always.
I dont have Puppeee downloaded and not have time now to do it. And it would need Eee netbook to test anyway. I wont ever go smaller than 15 " laptop. Well, not promising but I have stuck with that decision latest 6 years. I have now Acer 5820TG quad core and it is astonishingly light. And it has been good work horse for compiling also with quad core at full speed.

JimCockfield

#640 Post by JimCockfield »

Thanks.

I have no idea what I did with my last Puppee download (it's been a while and it would be on a backup somewhere). If I get a chance, I may download it again and see what I can find for differences between scripts.

But, it's really not a big deal since the sleep button does work on it (I can just use that before closing the lid if I don't want to shut it down).

BTW, I do not see any BIOS options related to power management or having anything to do with a lid close.

Yea... I'm not very fond of this Eee PC's size. It is a bit too small for my liking, as I tend to "fat finger" the keys since they're too close together on a keyboard this small, slowing down how fast I can type dramatically.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get something larger. But, it doesn't get used that often.

jim3630

#641 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:All right now I had time to do Quickpet problem fixing. I started quickpet in console and then I clicked the More Pets option. Command gtkmoz not found was the error.
Well, I copied /usr/local/bin/gtkmoz from lucid 525 and voila, Quickpet works. Lucid news started to work also. The solution was so simple.

The missing script is in the attached pet.
changed savefile and problem fixed. The Quickpet fix works for me. :lol:

jim3630

#642 Post by jim3630 »

installed qt4.8.0 and qt-dev4.8.0 pets in sp20 with qt browser which appears work well. then issued code:

# qttracereplay
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.42: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
Replays a tracefile generated with '-graphicssystem trace'
Usage:
> qttracereplay [OPTIONS] [traceFile]
OPTIONS
--range=from-to to specify a frame range.
--singlerun to do only one run (without statistics)
--instrumentframe=frame to instrument a single frame

Pemasu, is libicui18n.so.42 in a file I need to open?

jim3630

#643 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu, continue to get error "Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.42: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" when use qtconfig to make changes. Is there a lib missing?

gnomic

resume on a ThinkPad

#644 Post by gnomic »

Running Snow Puppy 17 live at present. Imagine my surprise when on closing the lid the moon LED lit up on this ThinkPad R51. This is usually a sign that the session is about to fall over in a screaming heap when the lid is opened. However this time round the session resumed, the wifi reconnected, and all was copacetic. My congratulations to the chef! I don't know what's in the secret sauce, but keep using it. Seriously, I suppose this is down to some scripts for acpi. In my experience with Linux and laptops, suspend and resume is rarely successful. Top work. In general I have been finding Snow Puppy one of the most useful Puppy versions I have encountered.

pemasu

#645 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. That Qt package seems to scream for libicu which is international code for unicode.
Install it with PPM from the Ubuntu repo.

jim3630

#646 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. That Qt package seems to scream for libicu which is international code for unicode.
Install it with PPM from the Ubuntu repo.
added unicode from Ubuntu without change. then did new save file with this these packages added:

pupsaveconfig-1.9.9
unicode_0.9.4_alldebs
quickpet_fix-0.0.1|
qt4-4.8.0
qt4_DEV-4.8.0
QtWeb_browser-3.7.2
screengrab-0.9-i386

qtbrowser works but qtconfig remains same.
code:
# qtconfig
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.42: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.

code:
# unicode
Usage: unicode [options] arg

Options:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-x, --hexadecimal Assume arg to be hexadecimal number
-d, --decimal Assume arg to be decimal number
-r, --regexp Assume arg to be regular expression
-s, --string Assume arg to be a sequence of characters
-a, --auto Try to guess arg type (default)
-m MAXCOUNT, --max=MAXCOUNT
Maximal number of codepoints to display, default: 10;
0=unlimited
-i IOCHARSET, --io=IOCHARSET
I/O character set, I am guessing ISO-8859-1
-c ADDCHARSET, --charset-add=ADDCHARSET
Show hexadecimal reprezentation in this additional
charset
-C USE_COLOUR, --colour=USE_COLOUR
Use colours, on, off or auto
--color=USE_COLOUR synonym for --colour
-v, --verbose Increase verbosity (reads Unihan properties - slow!)
-w, --wikipedia Query wikipedia for the character

pemasu

#647 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. You should have added libicu not that unicode_0.9.4_alldebs
Type in PPM libicu and it will find what you should have added.
That unicode alldebs does not help you.

jim3630

#648 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. You should have added libicu not that unicode_0.9.4_alldebs
Type in PPM libicu and it will find what you should have added.
That unicode alldebs does not help you.
pemasu. started new savefile and added these to sp20:
pupsaveconfig-1.9.9
SM-21rc1
quickpet_fix-0.0.1
libicu42_4.2.1-3
libicu-dev_4.2.1-3
gongetit-0.1
qt4_DEV-4.8.0
qt4-4.8.0
QtWeb_browser-3.7.2
screengrab-0.9-i386

code:
# qtconfig

at least get fewer errors. while qtconfig can change colors it does not change style. any thoughts?

pemasu

#649 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Qtconfig does not change themes. About that QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme error. I have no idea what fix will help to that. Somebody wiser than me will be needed. It wont affect to the functionality anyway. You can change for example font, font size still.
And that is the main thing, have big enough menu and submenus.

pemasu

#650 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. I found one working solution for Qt4 QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme problem, Now the theme is included in the Qt4 applications menu bars also.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=775685

That thread had needed information.
I still dont know what stuff were essential, but.
Adding the first line in below script cut to the /root/.xinitrc near the end:

Code: Select all

export GTK2_RC_FILES="$HOME/.gtkrc-2.0"
#exec $CURRENTWM
#v2.11 GuestToo suggested this improvement...
which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec jwm
Then I installed most gconf packages, libgconf, libgnomeui and libgnomeui-common.

I restarted the X. And voila the theme was recognized and displayed in Qt applications.

Then I removed all the packages, I had installed with PPM and at least after restarting X, they are still working, theme change is applied.