Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
myke

Snow Puppy Update

#301 Post by myke »

I updated Snow Puppy, using my old Save file and I am happy to report that the new Snow Puppy is a winner for me! It sees my card reader and my SDHC card just works; my mic and webcam work fine; and, of course, I was able to connect.

Thank you very much for this Puppy and for all the hard work you put into it.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

nooby

#302 Post by nooby »

pemasu I test it later today and edit this entry and describe if anything happens that I bark on. I only do a upgrade later so you get a report on a fresh install first. But will take some hour have to go find food first :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#303 Post by pemasu »

Thank you or your reports. Myke. I remembered to add keucr.ko to the build. So that other users might benefit of that card reader driver also.
Nooby. Lol. Take your time. No need to hurry.
Marco07. Great that update went well.
James C. You have earned golden collar for relentless puppy distro testing.
I am using SnowPuppy-015 now as my main distro also.

nooby

#304 Post by nooby »

Smile!

Yes okay. CthisBear mentioned something about Snow and in constrast to Lupu521 but I failed what the text implied. Maybe interesting for you to read?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 368#508368

Chris wrote
The latest Snow puppy works on this screen.

Insidious 02 as well.

Not stirring...just commenting.
Does that mean that Chris is disappointed with lupu and say that the screen Christ have does work in Snow but not in Lupu?
What screen can that be?

My English my bad.

pemasu

#305 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. Cthisbear just meant that Snow Puppy and Insidious 002 works fine with his computer. Nothing else.

nooby

#306 Post by nooby »

oops my bad

I am using latest Chromium in Snow puppy now. But it constantly remind me that my adobeflashplayer are too old.

Can I use the latest flash in Snow?

pemasu

#307 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. Latest flash works fine with my FF 4.0. It hasnt crashed with youtube videos when I tested.

You can use this pet to download latest flash if you use older flash from savefile. It installs the latest over the existing. If you have latest, it installs the latest still. So there is no version checking.
Install the pet. Then in console type: dldflash and then click yes.

If you use fresh frugal install, then the delayedrun script do the same thing.
This pet is needed only if you have already older flash installed and you want to upgrade it.
Attachments
downloadflash-001.pet
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 281 times

nooby

#308 Post by nooby »

oops I have to test first how it works with my snow 14 just in case.

I am in snow 15 now and will start testing pictures and musicvideo clips and such.

I have placed FF on mnt/home and does an absolute symlink because that allow me to keep the profile with all the setup intact I hope and it sure looks normal. So I write more here. Thanks indeed for that pet I DL it anyway van be good to have just in case.
Something unusual did happen. I have a fresh install and it asked if I wanted to install the LLMS music sfs this it asked when the desktop was loaded. And I said yes to that and to Chromium 12 and then I wanted to set the firewall but then the computer totally locked up and I used Hard Reboot power on button but everything just worked when I booted again so not sure what that was all about.

I guess I have to "If you use fresh frugal install, then the delayedrun script do the same thing. " But I have no idea how to get the delayrun script to run? Maybe by rebooting?

pemasu

#309 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. When you have configured your net connection and started Firefox, the adobe flash downloader should start automatically. If it does not, then you can use the dldflash command. Delayedrun script works under the hood silently.

nooby

#310 Post by nooby »

I reused a pet of latest flash instead and that one does work on both Firefox and on Chromium. Maybe the automatic download was what locked up my computer then??? Anyway it works now the only thing that failed was to import the html in Chromium. I fail to find how one open a local file.

I am so bad at computers. it is embarrassing.

Pictureviewer works and vlc play music files so I guess I am satisfied. I have not tested wine and spotify and such. No hurry.

What do you want me to test?

pemasu

#311 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. I am happy if the basic things work as you need them. Problems are best find by using the distro as you want it to be used.
I have now gotten rid of old udev and changed to use udev_151 only. If net connections and audio works normally, then I am satisfied. It looks like ubuntu udev_151 works just fine. But you never know....

nooby

#312 Post by nooby »

ubuntu udev_151 I don't even know what a udev is. Is it short for Ubuntu Development files? I ahve to look it up.

I was badly wrong :)

udev is a collection of tools and a daemon to manage events received from the kernel and deal with them in user-space. Primarily this involves creating and removing device nodes in /dev when hardware is discovered or removed from the system.

Events are received via kernel netlink messaged and processed according to rules in /etc/udev/rules.d and /lib/udev/rules.d, altering the name of the device node, creating additional symlinks or calling other tools and programs including those to load kernel modules and initialise the device.

NAME

udev - dynamic device management

DESCRIPTION

udev provides a dynamic device directory containing only the files for
actually present devices. It creates or removes device node files in
the /dev directory, or it renames network interfaces.

So now I know :)

Something has happen several times now but I don't think it has to do with Snowpup is that when I use Chromium then it reports that pages is not available. Then suddenly they are. Very unpredictable.

Never happens in Firefox though.

nooby

#313 Post by nooby »

Someother odd things. I changed the date and time display. That made the "Speaker" "Volume" hidden or deleted or something. How can I get it back?

I have two battery icons there instead.

pemasu

#314 Post by pemasu »

Nooby. You have found a bug !! The delayedrun script does not work properly. I need to investigate what I have done which has screwed the script.
Install this pet to see if it fixes the disappearing volume icon. Then restart X.
Does volume icon appear back ?

About 2 battery icons. There has been 2 icons all the time. On the left the old one which is more accurate and the vattery-ibam icon on the right which gives verbal warnings and can be bind to for example shutdown when battery level is critical.
Vattery-ibam should also start to work more accurately when you use the laptop and let the battery drain almost empty. I am not sure about that on my experiments.
Attachments
delayedrun_fixed-0.0.1.pet
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

nooby

#315 Post by nooby »

Jay! that gave me the Volume icon in Tray back. Hehe they have been there all the time and I ahve no even noticed :) that is very typical of me. I see nothing sometimes. Thanks for Snow it is fun to have a puppy that is that personal.

But I long for to get to know other such too like LightHouse and DiaboluQ? maybe EliteOS and Think Linux-os

It is interesting to compare what people give priority to. But I am too lazy to really learn all of these different puppies.

pemasu

#316 Post by pemasu »

Thank you of your report Nooby. If other ppl has same problem with disappearing volume icon and the pet fixes that, I will reload the Snow Puppy-015 with fixed delayedrun. Let`s see.....

James C

#317 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Thank you of your report Nooby. If other ppl has same problem with disappearing volume icon and the pet fixes that, I will reload the Snow Puppy-015 with fixed delayedrun. Let`s see.....
No problem with a disappearing volume icon on my 2 frugal installs...... everything is working well. :)

jduffy22335

Volume Icon

#318 Post by jduffy22335 »

pemasu wrote:Thank you of your report Nooby. If other ppl has same problem with disappearing volume icon and the pet fixes that, I will reload the Snow Puppy-015 with fixed delayedrun. Let`s see.....
The delayedrun_fixed-0.0.1.pet did correct the hidden volume icon on my laptop.

James C

#319 Post by James C »

James C wrote:
No problem with a disappearing volume icon on my 2 frugal installs...... everything is working well. :)
Naturally, after I posted that I hadn't had a problem with the volume icon I rebooted and it disappeared.
Installed the pet which fixed it. :)

pemasu

#320 Post by pemasu »

Thank you pals. I will reupload Snow Puppy-015. I will update PupSnap also. But changes dont justify version number change, I think.