Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#151 Post by James C »

Regret to report that I'm losing the sound every time I reboot. Used Retrovol......muted on reboot. Used Alsa Wizard....muted on reboot.Do nothing...stays muted. :)

Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

Also experiencing the same problem with the new Luci-250 as well.

jim3630

#152 Post by jim3630 »

Hey pemasu, your working overtime now finished v10. Unfortunately, I now have a new bug with v10. On the live cd no problem with my monitor but after install to HD xorgwizard blows up my screen using xorg, xversa, the intel driver all of which is new problem not occurring since I started with version 6 on my Dell D610. Have noted there is a couple of other pups on here that do the same. Will try at boot nox forceversa. Any suggestions? thanks jim

pemasu

#153 Post by pemasu »

James C. Thank you. The reason found and fixed. Next Snow Puppy will have audio persistence back. Meanwhile you should get audio working by installing the pet below and rebooting.

jim3630. Thank you of your report. The updating of xorg_base and xorgserver_xorg seems to be tricky. I will continue experimenting.
Attachments
alsafix-001.pet
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 592 times

pemasu

#154 Post by pemasu »

I made bugfix release of Snow Puppy-011. Alsa is now persistent in my machine. At first bootup sound is muted, but I think it never has been audible. I dont bother to bug hunt it. About X server problems. I havent had them during Snow Puppy release cycle. I made xserver_xorg slightly differently in this build. It works fine for me. Viewnior is added back.

jim3630. I hope this version works for you. I was thinking, that are you sure your older savefile isnt loaded when you test with new version ? You should try at first with fresh install before testing older savefile.

I will start my ski vacation after two days on 25.2. I am in Lapland middle of nowhere. My mother has laptop with 3g modem, so it is possible that I can read murga-linux forum there. But I wont release new Snow Puppy at least in couple of weeks.

I hope this version satisfies people`s needs. Most applications should be newest you can find from additional software section, or from woof repositories. If you find older version in Snow Puppy, please report. I will update it to the woof.
Remember to activate from Menu the Cpu frequency scaling before reporting excessive cpu usage. The old governor is removed from /etc/rc.d. After first cpu frequency scaling loading, it should be remembered and activated at next bootups.

Download links and md5sums
:http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-011

Oh, I made also sfs of latest Xnview and XnCoverter. As combined they are much smaller because they use same Qt4 libraries. I know, the sfs is still big in Puppy standards 25 Mb. But I really do like Xnview, it can rotate pics from the folder in the viewer automatically using Exif information.

Download link:http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Sfs/xnvi ... 5-0.98.sfs
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#155 Post by pemasu »

Sorry. Snow Puppy-011 upload was corrupt. I deleted the iso and try again.

marco07

#156 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Sorry. Snow Puppy-011 upload was corrupt. I deleted the iso and try again.
Does this mean it is OK to download it now?

nooby

#157 Post by nooby »

Yes me too early for 11 too :) Sorry I refer to 10 and not 11. Is 11 uploaded now?

Pemasu do you remember the fix they made for Zigberts PWidgets.

When I try to use widgets like showing cpu usage or what process are going and temperature and world time and some others then they fail to show up.

Version of puppy work and Calendar and analog clock work but many of the others fail in Snow puppy. And it has been like that since snow 5 so it something general and not exclusive for Snow.

Do you remember what name of the pet that fixed it?

I use your snow 11 now as far as I know. Or at least the snow 10 :)
Last edited by nooby on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Colonel Panic

#158 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just tried Snow Puppy 010 (I was too early for 011 apparently) and it looks good and works well.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

pemasu

#159 Post by pemasu »

SnowPuppy-011 is uploading again now. Ftpsite has been really slow today. I upload it first. Then I download and check the md5sum and if it is okay, I post the success.

Nooby. I installed the latest Pwidgets 2.3.4 yesterday to Snow Puppy. It worked fine for weather, clock, calendar and cpu_graph. Cpu showed the usage after small latence, it didnt start to show immediately. I have used Pwidgets from the beginning and I like it a lot. My main eye candy beside the wallpaper in the desktop. Well, the ones I use, works anyway.

By the way. When I had to upload Snow Puppy-011 again. I noticed that SFS-Load on the Fly app was updated to the 0.9 version. I quickly uploaded it to the woof and made Snow Puppy-011 with it. It loads fine on the fly the sfs applications. I have used devx and kernel source sfs loaded on the fly when I have compilded kernel driver modules. You can test Xnview with it :)
Last edited by pemasu on Wed 23 Feb 2011, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#160 Post by pemasu »

SnowPuppy-011 uploaded and downloaded succesfully now.

nooby

#161 Post by nooby »

Thanks, then it could be something I changed that make pwidget refuse to work as expected then?

I will download Snow 11 and make two version of it. One just upgraded from 05 to 08 to 09 to 10 to 11 and then one that is only based on 11 and see if pwidget work okay in these two then.

jim3630

#162 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:
jim3630. I hope this version works for you. I was thinking, that are you sure your older savefile isnt loaded when you test with new version ? You should try at first with fresh install before testing older savefile.
pemasu, the vacation sounds like fun hope you enjoy. No I'm not sure about older savefile as it has happen but not with snowpup in the past IIRC even with pfix=ram for the install to HD. Thanks will work with that. jim

James C

#163 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of Snow Puppy 011 on the old P4 test box.......sound problem appears to be fixed.

Have a good vacation............... :)

jim3630

#164 Post by jim3630 »

v11 up and running without issue. My prior problem with v11 probable was an old savefile inadvertently in play. With the latest upgrades SP gets better and better. thanks again jim

pemasu

#165 Post by pemasu »

Thank you jim3630 and James C. I got message from radky that not all the Pup* apps are the latest. Also the old network wizard and ndiswrapper have mysteriously been non working. Well, I went through all the woof packages. During woof download my own added packages have been overwrited. My name change of the packages havent been thorough enough. Now I have deleted all the old or changed packages and used the latest woof with Barrys latest zzz scripts. I have to go through them, that they wont brake SnowPuppy but give the latest 3g modem support. I have repackaged my edited packagenames so that specs of them dont be interfered by the woof downloaded packages.

The latest build now have to use the latest packages and scripts, there arent older packages anymore left. ./2createpackages phase is tricky. The specs of the packages are delicate thing I have learned. Deleting the older versions seems to be needed otherwise woof might pick them eventhough there is newer version available.

But Snow Puppy-012 looks good. Delayedrun script still needs fixing.
This cleanup and hopefully posting the Snow Puppy-012 will be then the latest before my holiday. I might have possibility to use 3gmodem at the Lapland. It would be nice to play with it using Snow Puppy when I have time.

nooby

#166 Post by nooby »

There must be warmer places to go to on a Holiday than Lappland :)

I guess you are a Ski person then who love to go down hill doing snow board something. I am a typical indoor person. So I wait for your Snow 12 to be ready. Thanks for all your efforts.

marco07

#167 Post by marco07 »

pemasu wrote:Thank you jim3630 and James C. I got message from radky that not all the Pup* apps are the latest. Also the old network wizard and ndiswrapper have mysteriously been non working. Well, I went through all the woof packages. During woof download my own added packages have been overwrited. My name change of the packages havent been thorough enough. Now I have deleted all the old or changed packages and used the latest woof with Barrys latest zzz scripts. I have to go through them, that they wont brake SnowPuppy but give the latest 3g modem support. I have repackaged my edited packagenames so that specs of them dont be interfered by the woof downloaded packages.

The latest build now have to use the latest packages and scripts, there arent older packages anymore left. ./2createpackages phase is tricky. The specs of the packages are delicate thing I have learned. Deleting the older versions seems to be needed otherwise woof might pick them eventhough there is newer version available.

But Snow Puppy-012 looks good. Delayedrun script still needs fixing.
This cleanup and hopefully posting the Snow Puppy-012 will be then the latest before my holiday. I might have possibility to use 3gmodem at the Lapland. It would be nice to play with it using Snow Puppy when I have time.
So, these all seems to be the cause of the troubles I have had to get 011 working and I never could get it running well. I am glad that this post now releaves me of the tension I built while trying the 011.
Well, I will retry with 012.
Thanks for posting this!

pemasu

#168 Post by pemasu »

Snow Puppy-012 has been released. I have used the brand new 22.2.2011 woof. It took some time to get my own packages included alright.
I will take a brake now. Leaving tomorrow to the Lapland. Maybe I can follow forum posts, maybe not.

Now all the apps should be updated to the latest versions found from repos. Well, Gimp and and VLC are those I havent updated.
Ndiswrapper and old network wizard should be now availabe again. I found the bug in my woof which caused to the nonworking situation.

Download links and md5sums:http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy-012

nooby

#169 Post by nooby »

Thanks! Happy Holiday

pemasu

#170 Post by pemasu »

Viewnior 1.1 needs libxcb-xlib which is missing. I dug it out from Luci distro and made pet of it. After installing this pet, the Viewnior works in Snow Puppy-012. I might upload the fixed Snow Puppy-012.
Attachments
Viewnior-1.1-fixlibs-001.pet
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 409 times