Yet Another Samba Share Mounter

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rcrsn51

#151 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the iocharset option: when I started development of YASSM, I was reluctant to lock in various options for fear that there would be negative effects on users who did not need them.

For example, does the option work with shares on different generations of Windows machines?

It seemed safer to leave it as an option that people can easily add on their own.

rcrsn51

#152 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM v3.0 posted above. The search tool recognizes multiple networks.

rcrsn51

#153 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM v4.0 is posted above. It is a major revision that combines the previous functions (yassm-search, yassm-select, yassm-login) into one program. It eliminates potential problems that come with searching a network for shares.

------------------------

rcrsn51

#154 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM v4.1 is posted above. There are changes to the user interface.

Once you have done the setup for a share, you can mount it with one click.

Marv

#155 Post by Marv »

YASSM v4.1 downloaded and installed in LxPupSc 17.08.24T on one of my core 2 duo Fujitsu S6520 laptops. Took this old user a minute to make the leap from yassm-search to the new interface (I hadn't used 4.0) but the help walkthrough is clear and once set up the single panel UI is neater. Currently my server box is also running on the samba in LxPupSc but in general it runs X-Slacko 4.2, now 4.3. Both the PcManFm in the LxPups and the Thunar in the X- series can connect to the shares but after a period of non-use even though the server box doesn't hibernate or sleep they sometimes fail to connect. Yassm-search always has.
Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rcrsn51

#156 Post by rcrsn51 »

Marv wrote:... but after a period of non-use even though the server box doesn't hibernate or sleep they sometimes fail to connect. Yassm-search always has.
Thanks for testing - I was concerned about this possibility.

In v4, will an unmount-remount operation wake up the server?

In v3, did you need to run the "Wake" operation to wake up the server, or was a new search good enough?

In v3, the Wake operation hit each host on the network with a ping. So try this in v4 when the server goes to sleep:

Code: Select all

ping -c1 192.168.x.y
Then mount again.

Marv

#157 Post by Marv »

In v2 a simple search was enough to wake the server up, thus my preference for the Yassm-search. I will try both the unmount/mount test and the ping test in v4. It will take a bit to get a definitive answer as I need a failure to wake first and I will check the server running both LxPupSc and X-slacko 4.3.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rcrsn51

#158 Post by rcrsn51 »

In v3, a search operation did the following:
a. ran pnscan to locate the server
b. ran nmblookup to get its NETBIOS name
c. ran smbclient to get the list of shares
d. ran mount to mount the selected share.

But those middle steps should be unnecessary if you already know where the share is.

So v4 just does the following:
a. runs arp-scan to locate the server
b. runs mount

I have never seen arp-scan have a problem finding a server on the network.

[Edit] Here is something to try:

1. Open /usr/local/bin/yassm
2. Go to line 88
3. Change it to

arp-scan -r 5 "$SERVER" .....
This increases the number of retries if the server doesn't respond.

Marv

#159 Post by Marv »

So far v4 just works (finds and mounts correctly). I'll keep testing with the combinations I noted above. My NAS and printer addresses are all static to keep life simple in that regard.

rcrsn51

#160 Post by rcrsn51 »

I am going to repost v4.1 with the "-r" option. It sounds like the safe thing to do. There is no downside if the server is detected immediately.

Marv

#161 Post by Marv »

Still all good here running v4.1 with a single retry, I switched the samba server over to X-Slacko 4.3 from the LxPupSc 17.08.23 I tested with first, doing a fresh frugal install as the X-Slacko savefile was getting pretty shopworn. In short and overnight tests v4.1 found and connected every time. The process is indeed faster than the full search in Yassm-search by a couple of seconds on this network and setup.

Thanks,

rcrsn51

#162 Post by rcrsn51 »

Marv wrote:... with a single retry...
Please explain. Are you using the unmodified version of 4.1?

Was your original report of "Server not found" a fluke?

I have posted a new v4.1 that sets RETRIES=4 on line 6.

Marv

#163 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Marv wrote:... with a single retry...
Please explain. Are you using the unmodified version of 4.1?

Was your original report of "Server not found" a fluke?

I have posted a new v4.1 that sets RETRIES=4 on line 6.
I am using the unmodified 4.1. I have never had a "Server not found" with it. What I said a few posts up was that I would look for that failure. It never has occurred with the unmodified 4.1. I have tested with samba under X-Slacko and LxPupSc so far. Since I haven't had any failures I haven't yet updated to the multiple retry version.

rcrsn51

#164 Post by rcrsn51 »

OK. I misunderstood this statement:
Both the PcManFm in the LxPups and the Thunar in the X- series can connect to the shares but after a period of non-use even though the server box doesn't hibernate or sleep they sometimes fail to connect. Yassm-search always has
Were you referring to the built-in Samba client tools in PcManFm?

IIRC, there were reports by LxPup users that they needed additional wake-up procedures to make previous YASSMs work. But this may be a non-issue with v4.1, especially with the increased RETRIES value.

Bill

Marv

#165 Post by Marv »

rcrsn51 wrote:Were you referring to the built-in Samba client tools in PcManFm?

IIRC, there were reports by LxPup users that they needed additional wake-up procedures to make previous YASSMs work. But this may be a non-issue with v4.1, especially with the increased RETRIES value.

Bill
Yes, it was the built-in client tools. Since I have been using Yassm-search exclusively for quite a while I really don't know if they have changed/improved over time.

Both Yassm-search and now Yassm v4.1 have worked extremely reliably over many LxPups for me on a fairly wide variety of hardware. IIRC also there were some wakeup problems with Yassm not using the -search option. I'll update to the current 4.1 and continue to use it later today.

rcrsn51

#166 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. I'm hoping that RETRIES=4 should be enough to wake up a sleepy server.

There were old reports that you had to hit the server with a ping before YASSM would see it.

rockedge

#167 Post by rockedge »

I just can't get it to work. Seems like to many steps to find shares. I can connect other ways with less input and me having to know a lot of ip's or shares. Want to press a button let it search out then I select. This v4.1 I just can not get working. Most programs I get to work.

What I am I doing here wrong to make it so complicated?

rcrsn51

#168 Post by rcrsn51 »

rockedge wrote:What I am I doing here wrong to make it so complicated?
YASSM v4.1 is based on this idea: once you have found something, why keep searching for it? This is the same principle you apply when you make a bookmark in your web browser.

But there is a learning curve to making these YASSM "bookmarks". Have you read the new instructions on Page 1? If they are confusing, I will try to make them less so.

don570

#169 Post by don570 »

Have you checked if root user and password woofwoof is still used in your new install.

From my own experience, the common problem is

So I go to the machine running the server software and run

smbpasswd -a root 
but then samba needs to be restarted to recognize a new user.

rcrsn51

#170 Post by rcrsn51 »

don570 wrote:Have you checked if root user and password woofwoof is still used in your new install.
YASSM is Samba CLIENT software - it doesn't create users.

Smbpasswd is a command that you would use on a machine running a Samba SERVER.