Weird interaction with XP partition

Using applications, configuring, problems
mouldy

Weird interaction with XP partition

#1 Post by mouldy »

I mainly just use XP for playing with video. Well using free prog called DVDshrink (wish there was a linux version), I made backups of two commercial dvds into iso files. Both good files and a free non-M$ media player for windows that I found can play them directly from these hardrive files. Mounted XP partition with Puppy and burned first file to dvdr. Easy as pie and it played fine. Started burning second iso and suddenly error that Puppy couldnt see the iso file. Well Puppy could no longer even see the XP partition. Neither could Mepis.

This was a new install of XP due to old partition getting corrupted. XP still boots fine. Puppy just cant see it. I hate doing anything in windows if I can help it, but downloaded several different burning software for windows and get coasters each and every time.

Any ideas why suddenly Puppy couldnt see the windows partition? Puppy and Mepis are on a separate hardrive. I much prefer burning cdr and dvdr thru linux. Rarely have a coaster under linux where I have lot coasters burning with windows whatever burning software I use.

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

Barry noted this in the news section. Version 1.0.2 and the 2.6 series kernel was causing problems. The new version should work fine. He reverted back to the 2.4 series kernel in version 1.0.3.

You may want to look at the news page under the 1.0.3 release to see what the issue was in detail.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Also, I think the Pmount program will only mount a NTFS partition read-only, but the exception is if it has the pup001 file on it, then it is mounted on /mnt/home read-write, which is a dangerous situation -- in that case, better to stay away from /mnt/home.

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

I should have been clearer. This is version 1.0.1 with 2.4 kernel so shouldnt have problem corrupting NTFS.
It also is a type 2 hardrive install of puppy so no pup file involved. It no longer sees the NTFS partition. It does see a very old Puppy install also on that hardrive.

mouldy

#5 Post by mouldy »

Ok, little playing and swapped dvd burner and windows hardrive around on cable. Mepis now can see and mount windowsXP partition. Was even able to burn a dvd of the second movie using K3B. At least no more coasters. Think the various windows burner software were trying to burn at too fast a speed even though if option available I set them to burn at slowest speed possible. They tended to just ignore such a setting and this blank dvd+r media I am using (bargain price) needs to burn at max of 2x. Or maybe they just are not compatible with my dvd+rw burner???? Thankfully I no longer have to even think of burning a dvd under windows.

However Puppy "drive mounter" still cant see anything but itself, floppy drive and "cdrom" drive. Cant even see Mepis which is on same hardrive as Puppy. Puppy "hardware probe" with "partitions" option sees all partitions and hardrives correctly. Something wrong with Puppy's "drive mounter". Guess I should boot from Puppy live cd and see if it can mount all drives. Remember I mounted XP partition with Puppy and burned the first disk just fine, then all of sudden while burning second disk, Puppy couldnt see the windows partition any longer.

#6 Post by Guest »

You don't happen to have your CD drive connected to the same IDE cable as the hard drive do you? Many people will tell you that hard drives can happily co-exist with CD drives on the same IDE cable, but in the real world it's problematic, especially when burning CDR's.
Connect your hard drives to primary IDE, optical drive(s) to secondary IDE, with burner as the Master device.

#7 Post by Guest »

I now have Puppy/Mepis hardrive as primary master. Windows as secondary master and dvdrw as secondary slave. It works as I posted above.

As to Puppy's problem seeing and mounting windows partition. I booted from live PUPPY cd and it can see and mount windows partition. So something corrupted in the hardrive install of puppy.

mouldy

#8 Post by mouldy »

Replaced /usr/sbin/pmount in hardrive version with same file from live cd. No change. Hardrive version still cant see any partitions except itself, floppy, and cdrom.

Does puppy drive mounter use some file other than pmount? On live cd version when I clicked on /usr/sbin/pmount, up popped the 'puppy drive mounter' window with all partitions showing.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#9 Post by GuestToo »

XP can decide your optical drive is not working with dma and switch to pio (uses the cpu to transfer data to the dvd drive ... much slower)

i think you look in control panel, system, device manager ... look to see what mode the ide's are using

the way to get it to use dma again is to uninstall the ide driver and let it reinstall the driver again

this happened to me once ... sp2 may (or may not) have fixed it ... i don't run sp2 (or sp1), it screws up my sound

pmount uses probepart, probedisk, and modprobe, and other programs

what do you get when you type probepart and probedisk in rxvt?

mouldy

#10 Post by mouldy »

GuestToo wrote:
Probepart lists all partitions on both hardrives. Probedisk lists the two hardrives and the "cdrom".

mouldy

#11 Post by mouldy »

GuestToo wrote:
Probepart lists all partitions on both hardrives. Probedisk lists the two hardrives and the "cdrom".