scsijon

geany print problem

#751 Post by scsijon »

sorry mick,

try this:

create (copy) a 3 or 4 page doc
goto print
goto page setup
change scale to less than 100% (I used 80)
goto preview

it's showing the data for a single page shrunk on that page rather than the data shrunk for the page with more data onpage therefore less pages used.

going back and printing it gets this same reaction too, same number of pages with data shrunk.

maybe a geany problem or the printing system, don't know which but it's a neusance. Or maybe i'm using the wrong settings?

regards
scsijon

DaveS

#752 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:Firefox can sometimes give you some trouble. But The Chosen One is real beast. Firefox is no match to it.

http://alanbecker.deviantart.com/art/An ... I-50891749
FF4 has it covered :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tubeguy

#753 Post by tubeguy »

Just a quick report here, my power cord came out on the lappie and 100 recovered just fine. I had to let it charge for a few minutes and I saw fsck's happen on sda2 and my save file, didn't lose anything.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

sszindian

Couple Tests

#754 Post by sszindian »

Hi Mick!

Finally got around to installing your new 100 version.

It's FAST for sure....

BROWSERS:
(1) Seamonky.... works fine
(2) Chromium-11.... works fine
(3) Iron 6-7-8.... will NOT work, none of them. Was thinking, Iron doesn't track your IP like all the others, could that be it? Sure has me baffled as Iron works in every other puppy I have!

Printer:
(1) Scanner works beautiful with xsane.
(2) Printer: Works but... you have to un-plug the power then re-plug it back in which is a total pain. It will not print from bootup. (HP Deskjet 1050 All-in-One J410 series)

That's all the problems I encountered so far, everything else seems fine that I used to date.

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

Re: Couple Tests

#755 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:(2) Printer: Works but... you have to un-plug the power then re-plug it back in which is a total pain. It will not print from bootup. (HP Deskjet 1050 All-in-One J410 series)
Strange behaviours with USB devices is a "feature" of many new Puppies.

scsijon

Re: Couple Tests

#756 Post by scsijon »

sszindian wrote:Printer:
(1) Scanner works beautiful with xsane.
(2) Printer: Works but... you have to un-plug the power then re-plug it back in which is a total pain. It will not print from bootup. (HP Deskjet 1050 All-in-One J410 series)

That's all the problems I encountered so far, everything else seems fine that I used to date.

>>>---Indian------>
Indian,

please check (as i'm on a different workshop at the moment) that you have both of the hp pets (hpijs, hplip) installed, either by woof (part of the default install) or by ppm (you), my hp1055 works without a problem with spup100.

I've still only found the one nusance level bug to date, everything else I normally use is ok.

scsijon

01micko

#757 Post by 01micko »

Hi guys

Sorry for lack of answers, been a bit busy, both life and puppy/linux :)

I'll get into some detail tomorrow with the bug reports.

At the moment I'm posting from the first L33T puppy (spup based on slackware-13.37 :wink: ). Of course there's about as many bugs as stars in the sky but it works and I'm online through wireless, no hassles. Boots direct to desktop too.

A note for MHHP, I found some repos.. checkout salix, you'll find PACKAGES.TXT with dep info and an extra repo for 13.37 :D

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MinHundHettePerro

#758 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:A note for MHHP, I found some repos.. checkout salix, you'll find PACKAGES.TXT with dep info and an extra repo for 13.37 :D

Cheers!
And , now you tell me about salix' making their own PACKAGES.TXT with deps :shock: :shock: :).
Didn't think of salix (and they actually released builds of late-pre-release 13.37 slack) and the other derivatives, so, I just installed slack-current a week prior to its release and built the PACKAGES.TXT with deps, using Stabellini's tool - took my, not to modern, computer some 30 hrs to complete (incidentally, obscurely announced here) :) - non-cunning feet walks twice the distance, or something like that :?.

Anyway, had two tries at woofing-up a pre-release-13.37spup, but tripped on the xorg hurdle :shock: :oops: :).

Awaiting your xorg-hacks :) :).

Cheers and ta for the salix tip, will come in handy :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

01micko

#759 Post by 01micko »

MinHundHettePerro wrote:
01micko wrote:A note for MHHP, I found some repos.. checkout salix, you'll find PACKAGES.TXT with dep info and an extra repo for 13.37 :D

Cheers!
And , now you tell me about salix' making their own PACKAGES.TXT with deps :shock: :shock: :).
Didn't think of salix (and they actually released builds of late-pre-release 13.37 slack) and the other derivatives, so, I just installed slack-current a week prior to its release and built the PACKAGES.TXT with deps, using Stabellini's tool - took my, not to modern, computer some 30 hrs to complete (incidentally, obscurely announced here) :) - non-cunning feet walks twice the distance, or something like that :?.

Anyway, had two tries at woofing-up a pre-release-13.37spup, but tripped on the xorg hurdle :shock: :oops: :).

Awaiting your xorg-hacks :) :).

Cheers and ta for the salix tip, will come in handy :)/ MHHP
I also used stabellini's 'pra' and it took awhile on my reasonably fast box :shock: .. so I left it overnight and ended up with an 11M file :shock: :shock: (10.5M of it was whitespace :lol: ).
Oh. I fixed the bug (well worked around) where there is a bunch of +PACKAGE entries for dependencies in processed puppy compliant file (Packages-slackware-13.37-official). I did see your files built from pra too :) . TFT

In 0setup, line 346

Code: Select all

--- DB_dependencies="`echo -n "$DB_ONELINE" | grep -o ' PACKAGE REQUIRED: .* PACKAGE ' | sed -e 's% PACKAGE %%' | cut -f 2-99 -d ' ' | sed -e 's% [^,]*%%g' | sed -e 's%,%,+%g' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z.+_=,-]//g'`" #100626
--- [ "$DB_dependencies" != "" ]&& DB_dependencies='+'"$DB_dependencies"

+++ DB_dependencies="`echo -n "$DB_ONELINE" | grep -o ' PACKAGE REQUIRED: .* PACKAGE ' | sed -e 's% PACKAGE %%' | cut -f 2-99 -d ' ' | sed -e 's% [^,]*%%g' -e 's%,%,+%g' -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z.+_=,-]//g'`" #100626 #110501 speed up sed
+++    [ "$DB_dependencies" != "" ]&& DB_dependencies='+'"$DB_dependencies"
+++    [ "$DB_dependencies" = "+PACKAGE" ]&&  DB_dependencies=""
Will be interesting to see if the sed call is sped up with my hack, seemed faster to me on a fast box, but I didn't time it :)

another fix for gdk-pixbuf in /etc/rc.d/rc.update line 74

Code: Select all

--- gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

+++ if [ -d /usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-* ];then gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders --update-cache
+++   else
+++  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders
+++  fi
That should take care of woof.

Now xorg is another kettle of fish.

On my first attempt I couldn't get a desktop, tried lots of things but nothing, so I went to the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and openned it with MP, lots of entries so I decided to mount a drive and copy it to a file (I'll attach it just for interest.)

It seems I was missing a crucial file called "evdev" for the keyboard, proving fatal to X, oh btw, from the prompt I just tried to run "X" (which points to Xorg anyways).

So I found evdev, part of a package called xkeyboard-config so I added that to the PKGS_SPECS_TABLE variable and away I went.. end result.. blackscreen! :shock: :shock: :shock: ... no recovery :( .

So then I tried something... just added the /etc/X11/xkb/rules/evdev file to the tree (extracted from that package).. hey presto! A desktop! So I need to add that to some "xorg_hack.pet".

Now, I got boot to desktop half going.. it works like Barry's in Quirky. Before starting the woof project you need to append :
DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='no'
to the DISTRO_SPECS file in the root of the woof tree.
Don't worry, you are asked later if you want (semi)automatic boot to desktop and it changes that variable to 'yes'. Still trying to look for a neat way to make it fully automatic ala playdayz.

Cheers!
Attachments
xorgfile.gz
my error log from xorg
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

timremy

usb modem

#760 Post by timremy »

hello

i am trying spup 100 and its great.

i am using a usb modem.

when i enter the pgprs info it connects.

i was wondering if it will auto go to 3g or gprs, whatever signal is strongest?

is their a way to lock it in to 3g?

thank you

timremy

DaveS

#761 Post by DaveS »

I have Dropbox running perfectly on Spup. I am using the portable apps version.
There is probably a smaller option available as a .pet somewhere, but what the heck, it works great.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

dawnsboy

Dropbox

#762 Post by dawnsboy »

I have Dropbox running perfectly on Spup. I am using the portable apps version.
There is probably a smaller option available as a .pet somewhere, but what the heck, it works great.
I have used Dropbox as a linux portable app with success as well. I have also found that the sfs file for Dropbox that is in Jemimah's repository of puppeee goodies works quite well. It is in the pet store at puppeee.com/web.

timremy

usb modem - solved

#763 Post by timremy »

fixed

capoverde

#764 Post by capoverde »

@ Dawnsboy

downloaded and installed your keucr_2.6.34.1-spup100.pet, no need to reboot, worked fine after restarting X; my Aspire One D255 now reads SD cards nicely, thanks a lot! :D

And hearty congrats to 01micko for his admirable job on this Puppy version -- wonder what can be made better in spup-120!?
_______

Edited: one bug came out right after posting, sadly -- sound works no more when booting the newly-made frugal install. (I also had to run the network wizard, since there was no web connection anymore, but it was normally set up in a few seconds).

Sound worked OK automatically at first-time boot from a USB-HD formatted flash memory; now it's no use setting up ALSA again nor substituting the first-boot /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf file from the USB flash memory to the frugal-installed one.

Seems there's nobody with such issue in this thread. What did I do wrong?

Well: Acer Aspire One D-255 with Intel 82801G soundcard, which the ALSA setup wizard recognizes, but then exits with an error before "woofing".

*Solved -- why, my bad of course! Sure: I had copied the savefile from the USB flash drive to the HD, but that's not the way to go. I wanted to keep the settings for the touchpad and the background image which had already been done, never dreaming that I would lose all sound! "Never pretend be wiser than you actually are."

Rebooted from the HD ignoring that savefile - voilà, sound works nicely AND keeps going on subsequent boots... Same for networking. :oops:

DaveS

#765 Post by DaveS »

Ha Ha... when you built the .iso Mick, you left a spare copy of Gnumeric and Goffice in My Documents. How come this has not been spotted before LOL.... :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

spup-100 error copying to ntfs

#766 Post by Béèm »

I don't know why I didn't run into this before.
I receive often attachment of e-mail with file names containing accented characters.
My locale is nl_BE and utf ticked.

When saving to a ntfs partition (my data partition) I get a copy error.
When saving to the file system, ext3 or vfat, I don't have the error.
(see pictures)

This is bad.
Will have to try in spup 120, but I assume I will have the same issue.

Is there a cure?
(If spup will become puppy 5.3 I'll have a problem then)
Attachments
copy-error-ntfs-accented.png
(29.76 KiB) Downloaded 1834 times
copy-error-ntfs-accented-1.png
(56.44 KiB) Downloaded 1818 times
Last edited by Béèm on Wed 11 May 2011, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#767 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
Béèm wrote:peebee, I forgot about that one.
Hopefully it'll work in spup being made for lucid as far as I see.
But for me it masks the underlying problem.
The original stay-connected is here. I'm a little surprised that it has gone from being a quick fix to a standard Puppy wifi repair tool.

Here is my (limited) understanding of the issue. Some wireless routers periodically poll their clients to see if they are still active. Some clients, when idle, won't respond. So the connection is dropped. I don't know if this is a function of the client's wifi adapter driver or WEP/WPA or something else.
As the issue was intermittently (sometimes hours without a problem) I didn't install the stay connected pet yet.
Up to now I had the issue some 10-15 times and in 2 cases even during a download.

I activated stay-connected now and will watch again during a similar period and report back.
Even with the stay-connected active I continue to have the issue.
Mostly I reactivate the connection with dhcpcd eth1 in a terminal.
These last days this doesn't work anymore and I get messages o no carrier detected followed by a time out.
I have to redo the connection setup with the network wizard.

What I did now is install the dhcpcd 5.2.2.
Will see if this cures the issue.
Will report back.
Time savers:

DaveS

#768 Post by DaveS »

Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

l2ulinux

Spup

#769 Post by l2ulinux »

I need everyones help with a problem I am having with Spup-1.00 & 1.20.50. I love to watch internet TV at vettle.com. With Linux you have to download veetle-0.9.17-linux-install.sh and install it as a plugin. I open a terminal in root and type sh veetle-0.9.17-linux-install.sh as the site tell you to. The problem is it should install Veetle Broadcaster Plugin, Veetle TV Core and Veetle TV Player. All it installs is Veetle TV Core.

I have installed it in other version of Puppy and most will let me install all three.
I only have this problem with 4.3.1 and below, Browserlinux based releases and Spup releases.

All help is needed.

Béèm

#770 Post by Béèm »

vettle.com?
Time savers: