spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#736 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:Wow. I'm surprised how fast this issue fell off the radar, considering Puppy's mandate to support old hardware. BTW, Minnesota deserves full credit for reporting this problem and identifying the cause.
Well I guess we better press the issue. It's a true showstopper. IIRC it may have began with the "simple filenames" (circa 11/2010). There is also something affecting dvd/cd saveback (pupmode=77) installs, though I need to do more testing for concrete proof/evidence on that one.

Concerning the usb bug, I first heard of the issue on IRC earlier this week.. I was embarrassed to respond as I had just seen Minnesota's post. Didn't believe it at first but didn't deny it either. Was that you too?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

smokey01

#737 Post by smokey01 »

01micko wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:Wow. I'm surprised how fast this issue fell off the radar, considering Puppy's mandate to support old hardware. BTW, Minnesota deserves full credit for reporting this problem and identifying the cause.
Well I guess we better press the issue. It's a true showstopper. IIRC it may have began with the "simple filenames" (circa 11/2010). There is also something affecting dvd/cd saveback (pupmode=77) installs, though I need to do more testing for concrete proof/evidence on that one.
Mick I haven't tested the dvd/cd saveback on spup-100 but I can confirm it doesn't work on lupu-525.

Edit: I just tested the dvd/cd saveback with spup-100 and I can confirm it doesn't work either.

I even tried setting the cd/dvd device from the setup menu to make sure that wasn't the culprit.

Looks like it might be a woof script problem. Is Barry aware?

turf

libraries missing

#738 Post by turf »

i installed firefox and dependencies shows
missing libs:

libmozalloc.so
libmozsqlite3.so
libxul.so

where can i get these libs and how can i add them?

01micko

Re: libraries missing

#739 Post by 01micko »

turf wrote:i installed firefox and dependencies shows
missing libs:

libmozalloc.so
libmozsqlite3.so
libxul.so

Where on earth did you get your firefox package?

If you go to the PPM (puppy package manager, menu>setup>) you'll see a button for the spup repo. Enable that, choose the Internet category and get Firefox, no dependency issues, posting from said now, and it's Firefox 4.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#740 Post by pemasu »

Firefox can sometimes give you some trouble. But The Chosen One is real beast. Firefox is no match to it.

http://alanbecker.deviantart.com/art/An ... I-50891749

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#741 Post by Béèm »

LOL, is this what ICE puppy is doing to a PC? :wink:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

turf

Re: libraries missing

#742 Post by turf »

01micko wrote:
turf wrote:i installed firefox and dependencies shows
missing libs:

libmozalloc.so
libmozsqlite3.so
libxul.so

Where on earth did you get your firefox package?

If you go to the PPM (puppy package manager, menu>setup>) you'll see a button for the spup repo. Enable that, choose the Internet category and get Firefox, no dependency issues, posting from said now, and it's Firefox 4.
exactly what i did though.. this is a frugal install
i guess its not missing after all :D but what are they for?
Attachments
firefoxdep.png
(21.04 KiB) Downloaded 2241 times

scsijon

#743 Post by scsijon »

@turf

reread the message :lol: :lol: :lol:

I :oops: :oops: spent some weeks trying to find packages that needed a couple of "missing libraries".

Eventually, I read the message extra carefully again and again, after about the 20th time, it clicked.

In actual fact it's telling you that there are a couple of extra libs in your puppy that are not in the lib path statement. I suspect that they are installed as you may need them if you turn on certain functions in the system or an application you have either by default or have installed in which case their startup scripts should add them if necessary. My take on it anyway!

a puppy quirk

regards
scsijon

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#744 Post by Béèm »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Béèm wrote:peebee, I forgot about that one.
Hopefully it'll work in spup being made for lucid as far as I see.
But for me it masks the underlying problem.
The original stay-connected is here. I'm a little surprised that it has gone from being a quick fix to a standard Puppy wifi repair tool.

Here is my (limited) understanding of the issue. Some wireless routers periodically poll their clients to see if they are still active. Some clients, when idle, won't respond. So the connection is dropped. I don't know if this is a function of the client's wifi adapter driver or WEP/WPA or something else.
As the issue was intermittently (sometimes hours without a problem) I didn't install the stay connected pet yet.
Up to now I had the issue some 10-15 times and in 2 cases even during a download.

I activated stay-connected now and will watch again during a similar period and report back.
Time savers:

Jim1911

#745 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Mick,

I've finally gotten around to checking out spup-100. After over a month with no puppy, I was starting to have withdrawal symptoms. It's great, everything works fine on my hardware with both frugal and hd installations.

Thank you for all the hard work that you've put into it and keep sharing with us. I'm happy that you will probably be leading up the follow on 5.3 and am looking forward to helping test it.

Thanks again,
Jim

dawnsboy

ENE Card Reader Module for Slack Pup

#746 Post by dawnsboy »

I have made a pet package of the keucr module for the ENE Card Reader found on some Acer Aspire One models. I compiled the module on a frugal install of Spup-100 on my Acer Aspire One AOD255-2301.

I am making this pet available for testing. It works quite well on my Aspire One. I reformatted the hard drive and performed a clean install of Spup-100 after I successfully compiled the module and created the .pet package. I installed the package on the fresh install and it worked the charm.

I did not have to reboot after installation of this package. I did have to wait a patiently for a moment for the card to be detected. If for some reason your card is not detected please try rebooting.

Feedback will be appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
keucr_2.6.34.1-spup100.pet
ENE Card Reader for Slack Pup compiled on an Acer Aspire One AOD255-2301 and spup-100.
(29.21 KiB) Downloaded 639 times

myke

keucr pet

#747 Post by myke »

Hi, dawnsboy, it worked after rebooting my netbook.

Thank you very much.

myke
AA1 D255E-keucr slacko 5.3;luci;mijnpup; tw-os; with:Emacs,gawk,noteboxmismanager,treesheets, freeplane, libreoffice, tkoutline, Sigil, calibre, calendar. magic&Noteliner(wine), kamas (DOS)

dawnsboy

#748 Post by dawnsboy »

Thank you for the feedback. We now know that it works on the D255 and the 255E at this point.

Béèm

spup100 strange partition issue

#749 Post by Béèm »

I have a USB stick partitioned like: in the picture.
However when I issue fdisk -l /dev/sdc I get

Code: Select all

# fdisk -l /dev/sdc

Disk /dev/sdc: 8015 MB, 8015314944 bytes
247 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1022 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15314 * 512 = 7840768 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00044eaa

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdc1   *           1         274     2096451    b  W95 FAT32
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 1, 1) logical=(0, 1, 2)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(260, 254, 63) logical=(273, 197, 29)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdc2             275         548     2097152   83  Linux
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(261, 53, 49) logical=(274, 5, 7)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(522, 75, 1) logical=(547, 224, 10)
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdc3             548        1023     3632128    7  HPFS/NTFS
Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(522, 75, 2) logical=(547, 224, 11)
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
     phys=(974, 120, 42) logical=(1022, 64, 36)
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
# 
Strange that I get some error indications.
I can use the USB stick without problem.
A problem in fdisk in spup?
Attachments
spup-gparted-sdc.png
(76.91 KiB) Downloaded 1930 times
Time savers:

Béèm

#750 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
Béèm wrote:peebee, I forgot about that one.
Hopefully it'll work in spup being made for lucid as far as I see.
But for me it masks the underlying problem.
The original stay-connected is here. I'm a little surprised that it has gone from being a quick fix to a standard Puppy wifi repair tool.

Here is my (limited) understanding of the issue. Some wireless routers periodically poll their clients to see if they are still active. Some clients, when idle, won't respond. So the connection is dropped. I don't know if this is a function of the client's wifi adapter driver or WEP/WPA or something else.
As the issue was intermittently (sometimes hours without a problem) I didn't install the stay connected pet yet.
Up to now I had the issue some 10-15 times and in 2 cases even during a download.

I activated stay-connected now and will watch again during a similar period and report back.
Well it didn't take that long to have my connection cut, so with stay-connected activated and in fact I was downloading. I redid the connection setup and could work until today, an hour and a half ago, when I got connection cuts. When redoing the setup could work for a couple of minutes.
I repositioned a bit my access point and that seemed to work for a while, but the connection cuts started again. At a certain point I couldn't even setup anymore and did a reboot.
That worked a while, but I did get a cut again.
So I don't know what happens.
And don't know what tools I could use to diagnose further.
Time savers:

scsijon

geany print problem

#751 Post by scsijon »

sorry mick,

try this:

create (copy) a 3 or 4 page doc
goto print
goto page setup
change scale to less than 100% (I used 80)
goto preview

it's showing the data for a single page shrunk on that page rather than the data shrunk for the page with more data onpage therefore less pages used.

going back and printing it gets this same reaction too, same number of pages with data shrunk.

maybe a geany problem or the printing system, don't know which but it's a neusance. Or maybe i'm using the wrong settings?

regards
scsijon

DaveS

#752 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:Firefox can sometimes give you some trouble. But The Chosen One is real beast. Firefox is no match to it.

http://alanbecker.deviantart.com/art/An ... I-50891749
FF4 has it covered :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tubeguy

#753 Post by tubeguy »

Just a quick report here, my power cord came out on the lappie and 100 recovered just fine. I had to let it charge for a few minutes and I saw fsck's happen on sda2 and my save file, didn't lose anything.
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

sszindian

Couple Tests

#754 Post by sszindian »

Hi Mick!

Finally got around to installing your new 100 version.

It's FAST for sure....

BROWSERS:
(1) Seamonky.... works fine
(2) Chromium-11.... works fine
(3) Iron 6-7-8.... will NOT work, none of them. Was thinking, Iron doesn't track your IP like all the others, could that be it? Sure has me baffled as Iron works in every other puppy I have!

Printer:
(1) Scanner works beautiful with xsane.
(2) Printer: Works but... you have to un-plug the power then re-plug it back in which is a total pain. It will not print from bootup. (HP Deskjet 1050 All-in-One J410 series)

That's all the problems I encountered so far, everything else seems fine that I used to date.

>>>---Indian------>

rcrsn51

Re: Couple Tests

#755 Post by rcrsn51 »

sszindian wrote:(2) Printer: Works but... you have to un-plug the power then re-plug it back in which is a total pain. It will not print from bootup. (HP Deskjet 1050 All-in-One J410 series)
Strange behaviours with USB devices is a "feature" of many new Puppies.