spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
01micko

#691 Post by 01micko »

Hi All

First af all...

nooby, did you try the "nosmp" trick on your kernel line? That may or may not help. And.. where did you get fluxbox from. Spup ships with JWM-500.

cowboy.. well the "rerwin fix" didn't help eh? Maybe I got the wrong one? Can you do a cross check from lupu to spup of the file /etc/udev/rules.d/00-i915_modeset0.rules and make sure it's the same please? At least the woof sound fix is working for you and vesa is giving you a usable system.

Béèm, good to see it works for you.

Billtoo, could you load the module for Broadcom wireless on your machine manually? Did it work in previous versions? Unusual that the wallsetter is broken for you. I can't break it. You could install SWS from here. Good your nvidia machine seems ok. Oh yeah, that mouse window pops up after 8 seconds if you don't move the cursor. A new woof feature, in quirky-142 too, designed for old serial mice in case they aren't detected.

MHHP.. 8)

DaveS, Happy belated Birthday! (Though you got your pressy on time!)

James C, apart from some small upgrading issues your main one seems gparted. I couldn't reproduce that but you can install lupu's gparted in spup as it's a slackware one, playdayz was having issues with the Ubuntu version.

tronkel, thanks for testing. I knew someone would run into the ATI issue. Strange that the modeset=0 kernel command failed. It worked for playdayz. At least you came up with a good work around with the Vesa trick, also thanks for confirming that the ATI_fglrx driver is working ok. You could have tried the video wizard in the setup window, or from the menu.(It's Barry's with some small hacks for spup, I think inspired by the Lupu development). It works fine with nvidias and mesa. I'll document these things in the main post. Also, that issue with rt2870sta module, yes would need to find some compatible firmware. I'll see what I can dig up.

yarddog .. good things are ok apart from abiword. Yes I knew about it (sigh)... but it should open documents ok. I created a few in libreoffice and they opened fine in abiword, some with embeded jpeg and png images too. I hate abiword!!! Later on, what we have to do is get a bunch of ati users (I know you're one, there's a note in the first post) and figure out a udev rule (hopefully with rerwin's help) to get these ati's all booting correctly. But I'll wait until I've built a new kernel as things will change.

LinuxUser531700 .. thanks for testing. Now this is a very strange issue. Just to clarify.. install (full) goes fine, then boot starts up and you are confronted with that long list of keymaps in the first dialog window (console mode) right? Then you are stuck. That's how I read it. Bugger. Thanks for reporting though, I'll investigate. Perhaps, if you have one, try a different keyboard, or if that's not possible try adding some kernel params to your grub boot kernel line in your menu.lst. If a single processor, "nosmp", maybe "acpi=force" or "acpi=off". If anyone else has a clue, please chip in.

EDIT: I just thought, this may be an issue of the new woof (build system). In the main post there is a link to my "main" repo (where all the xdelta files are too), there you could try spup-099 if you wanted to see if it has the same issue. The differences between 099 and 100 are fairly small.

starhawk, while I agree re frugal v full, I'm glad LinuxUser531700 brought this up. Linux is about choice 8) . And a bug is a bug.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#692 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: James C, apart from some small upgrading issues your main one seems gparted. I couldn't reproduce that but you can install lupu's gparted in spup as it's a slackware one, playdayz was having issues with the Ubuntu version..
I know why you couldn't reproduce the Gparted problem, the old P4 is having difficulties running from a live cd. GParted works fine from the installed Spup 100 so it was a false alarm. Apparent hardware issue.
Everything else went well on the 2 upgrades. :)

LinuxUser531700

#693 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

01micko,

Yes, to confirm...after a full install, I reboot and get to the point to choose keyboard layout...then I'm stuck and can only power off. No mouse or keyboard responses.

Thanks for the reply. I did try another keyboard. I rebooted between each try just to be sure and nothing.

My processor is an AMD Quad Core......still try the acpi options?

The thought did cross my mind to try the spup-099. I downloaded last night and attempted. First off, I couldn't do a full install because the script of the installation was searching the CD for the files named spup_099.sfs. The file name that was in the CD I downloaded was spup-099.sfs. I think that's right.....one way or another, there was a difference in the name, in one of those files...instead of a dash it should have been an underscore. It got late last night, so I didn't finish playing with it. Will try again tonight after work.

Billtoo

spup-100 built from latest woof

#694 Post by Billtoo »

quote="01micko"]

Billtoo, could you load the module for Broadcom wireless on your machine manually? Did it work in previous versions? Unusual that the wallsetter is broken for you. I can't break it. You could install SWS from here. Good your nvidia machine seems ok. Oh yeah, that mouse window pops up after 8 seconds if you don't move the cursor. A new woof feature, in quirky-142 too, designed for old serial mice in case they aren't detected.

[/quote]

Hi 01micko

I think there is a pet on the forum that will fix the broadcom, the wireless does work in fluppy 13 and snowpuppy 15, doesn't work work in wary 5.1.1.
The nvidia driver is working great.
SWS works for wallpaper changing, the default still doesn't on this desktop or the netbook.
I added kde games from the ppm and it works good, shisen-sho is a favourite of mine :)
Attachments
sws.jpg
(16.13 KiB) Downloaded 1392 times
pwallpaper.jpg
(19.66 KiB) Downloaded 1345 times

James C

#695 Post by James C »

Had the old P3 test box going testing and upgraded the frugal install from 099 to 100. No problems at all. :)

LinuxUser531700

#696 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

Ok, re-installed 100 as a full install. Added acpi=off to the boot and the set up no longer hangs at keyboard layout.

What affect does acpi=off have? What was disabled?

DaveS

#697 Post by DaveS »

OK, this is weird.... Just been looking at my Spup install. Frugal to HD. I have two partitions, sda1, sda3. Spup is installed in folder named spup1 on sda1. Somehow, the save file is in a folder called spup1 on sda3! Thinking I might have been dopey when I did the initial install, I hid the save file and went thru the process of creating a new one. Path on final screen showed /spup1/spupsave, but again it created the file on sda3.
So. Moved the save file into the spup1 folder on sda1, but then spup failed to see it.
Only other foreigner in spup1 is a file I have never seen before named SAVEMARK which seems to be a text file with just

Code: Select all

in it.
Any clues?
FWIW, multiboot with Mint on sda1, plus other pups also on sda1.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#698 Post by James C »

DaveS wrote:OK, this is weird.... Just been looking at my Spup install. Frugal to HD. I have two partitions, sda1, sda3. Spup is installed in folder named spup1 on sda1. Somehow, the save file is in a folder called spup1 on sda3! Thinking I might have been dopey when I did the initial install, I hid the save file and went thru the process of creating a new one. Path on final screen showed /spup1/spupsave, but again it created the file on sda3.
So. Moved the save file into the spup1 folder on sda1, but then spup failed to see it.
Only other foreigner in spup1 is a file I have never seen before named SAVEMARK which seems to be a text file with just

Code: Select all

in it.
Any clues?
FWIW, multiboot with Mint on sda1, plus other pups also on sda1.
As far as I know the SAVEMARK file identifies the location of the save file if the save file is in a different partition than the other Puppy files.
My test P3 has 15 partitions and I have messed up and put the savefile in the wrong partition. I always just moved the save file to the correct partition and deleted the SAVEMARK.
In your case,the SAVEMARK in your Spup folder on sda1 is telling Puppy to look in sda 3 for the save file,hence the "3". Should just be able to delete the SAVEMARK and solve the problem. That's worked for me.
HTH.

DaveS

#699 Post by DaveS »

Thanks James, that fixed it. Wonder why it happened in the first place. Me dopey I guess.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#700 Post by nooby »

Micko oops I have no idea what did happen. My bad.

Edit after booting it up again but after removing these from kernel line

acpi=off apm=off noapic nodma nopcmcia
and only having this

title spup-100
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /spup-100/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=spup-100 nosmp pfix=fsck
initrd /spup-100/initrd.gz

Now everything booted up to the screen just perfectly and says that I have 1024 x 768 but it show it as 1024 x 600 on the external screen which I hate and very few of all the other OS has that weird behavior.

To cut to the chase? How can I make spup-100 show 1024 x 768 on the external screen instead of 600 it shows now?

And it is not criticism but why force us to have Seamonkey when each user want to install their preferred browser? Kind of odd to me :)

I try to upload a picture how it looks the only way to get ot to fill the screen in full screen is to change from jwm to the other window manager. But I don't remember that I did so more likely I was in another puppy OS and thought I was in your spup-100 I am so sorry.

I try to edit that post so it does not give wrong impression. Still the reason I don't use Spup are that it shows things in wrong resolution which the other puppies don't have problem with so I fear that the Puppy 5.3 will be same 1024 x 600 then due to some built in policy in Slack?

here is old text

It did not behave as I am used to. By now I can move around using Rox rather good but Fluxbox I totally failed at.

Could I have downloaded some other OS and trusted it was Spup-100
Okay I do it again and try to give some picture to show why I fail with the menus.

But my main very friendly complaint is that it totally failed to start to Desktop in Xorg. The wizard gave the impression that it would work but it shut down to prompt instantly. Only xvesa to rescue and even that one behaved unusual too. I am in Snowpup now and if I go Menu > System > System Status ... > Htop System Process Viewer then one can see which prog is active and which is loaded but not active at the moment.

How does one do that in Spup-100
Attachments
spup-100-1024x600-pic.jpg
(74.61 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#701 Post by 01micko »

LinuxUser531700, acpi=off turns off acpi in the kernel. Acpi is better explained here. You would likely have had the same problem with 099. I don't know why but some hardware requires this with some kernels, not all. Possibly a kernel bug.

This quote from Ubuntu documentation gives a simpler explanation:
This parameter disables the whole ACPI system. This may prove very useful, for example, if your computer does not support ACPI or if you think the ACPI implementation might cause some problems (for instance random reboots or system lockups).
Billtoo.. certainly weird that wallsetter issue. I know it was buggy in quirky awhile back but I thought Barry fixed it, strange I can't break it and we have been using it since 051. Maybe something got corrupted in /root/.config?

Dave S. This is caused if you had an sfs loaded. Did you at the time? I tried to reproduce but I made sure I had all the sfs unloaded, perhaps it's a conflict with shinobars sfs_load. Did you use that? If so I'l report to shino.

nooby.. I guess you tried xorgwizard to get the resolution? Are you using Vesa? If so it probably wont work.
I like Seamonkey :D (plus, firefox 4, Chromium, Iron and Opera are in PPM). Anyway, some browser is absolutely necessary to setup CUPS printing and show help pages. I don't like the midori/dillo combination in Lupu plus security libs (nss, nspr) need to be added separately. You end up with about 3 meg saving on the iso and 2 shitty browsers! Oh, and you need an email proggy too. So it's not just that I like Seamonkey, but it has security and practicality in mind.

Cheers!

01micko

#702 Post by 01micko »

News Flash

I have made a new spup-100BABY.iso 101M, also has a zdrv, see main post

nooby

#703 Post by nooby »

Edit first things first

Are you using Vesa? Yes but No not now. I had to on the other OS that I thought was Spup. Some glitch in my head mixed them up sorry. Spup worked well with xorg chosen resolution but somehting in the script sense that the internal screen is 600 and then despite it is chosen to desplay 768 it still stubbornly only give 600 resolution

1024 x 600 when I tell it to do 1024 x 768 as it should have.

Thanks for a friendly smile. Very convincing text you give here.

I buy it and give tips too. Very true indeed.
nooby.. I guess you tried xorgwizard to get the resolution? Are you using Vesa? If so it probably wont work.
I like Seamonkey Very Happy (plus, firefox 4, Chromium, Iron and Opera are in PPM). Anyway, some browser is absolutely necessary to setup CUPS printing and show help pages. I don't like the midori/dillo combination in Lupu plus security libs (nss, nspr) need to be added separately. You end up with about 3 meg saving on the iso and 2 shitty browsers! Oh, and you need an email proggy too. So it's not just that I like Seamonkey, but it has security and practicality in mind.
Right on! So the solution for me and many others who just feel sick in our stomach seeing SeaMonkey that we just pretend that it is Midori or Dillo and we are used to deal with them same way to just ignore them go on to install Firefox 3.6.16 or FF 4.0

But then this happens. SeaMonkey has already installed .mozilla so that complicates things.

Let me try to explain.

I want to use Seaside's SFS-Exec-Dir and that works but I also want to symlink to a .mozilla that I have on mnt/home that is based on Firefox 3.6.16 that I moved there some days ago.

But if SeaMonkey is alread installed from scratch in the Puppy OS then it seems to not allow FF to start up using the SFS-Exec?

Okay I should test again. Now when I don't have all the safe things added to the kernel line maybe it works as intended?

But still how do I get the 1024 x 768 because I dont' accept to have x 600 as it is now.

I remember on one OS I could install Icewm instead and that one show the 1024 x 768 that OS. Would that work on SPUP too.

I would need Icewm for this kernel then?
Last edited by nooby on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#704 Post by 01micko »

nooby.. just delete the /root/.mozilla, no harm will come, then symlink your firefox one. :wink:

cowboy has used icewm, I don't know which package though, try jemimah's I guess, it's in the software area.

DaveS

#705 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
Dave S. This is caused if you had an sfs loaded. Did you at the time? I tried to reproduce but I made sure I had all the sfs unloaded, perhaps it's a conflict with shinobars sfs_load. Did you use that? If so I'l report to shino.
No, no sfs loaded, just a clean boot without a save file. I think it might be something to do with my Mint install which is set to use sda3 as /home
Maybe it labeled the partition and puppy picked that up.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#706 Post by Béèm »

Nooby, I have FF and Opera as extra installed on my machine.
In spite SeaMonkey is installed as a base, I can run them without problems.
In other words, SeaMonkey is not preventing this.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

01micko

#707 Post by 01micko »

looks like a case of the squeaky wheel gets the oil :wink: :wink:

nooby, this Icewm works :) http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -lucid.pet

Exit from X and type "xwin icewm" at the prompt.
Attachments
icewm.png
(34.21 KiB) Downloaded 1303 times

nooby

#708 Post by nooby »

Nooby the Squeeeeeky wheel to your service. :)

Jay! Cool that just worked as you described. Big friendly smile now I write from within Spup-100 using my old .mozilla on the mnt/home and SFS-Exec loading a FF3.6.sfs and it remember almost everything.
And the picutes due to install of the Icewm are now in 1024 x 768 so very good indeed.

Love it. This Nooby Squeeking wheel got oiled to his satisfaction.

Beem, thanks for encouraging words. Yes Opera worked well last time I tested it.

Now due to Micko I get FF 3.6.16 and writing from it now. Jay!
Beem while I have your attention.

Your set up seems to require that one have on partition for each puppy?

I love the symlink to apps placed outside pupsave and I have that for FF but I wish there existed an easy to follow description or script that worked for newbies.
Last edited by nooby on Tue 19 Apr 2011, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

01micko

#709 Post by 01micko »

There you go! :)

Billtoo

#710 Post by Billtoo »

01micko wrote:
Billtoo.. certainly weird that wallsetter issue. I know it was buggy in quirky awhile back but I thought Barry fixed it, strange I can't break it and we have been using it since 051. Maybe something got corrupted in /root/.config?

I've got two spup installs where pwallpaper doesn't work, one is a usb
flash drive and the other is a sdhc card.
I have another spup install on a hard disk where pwallpaper does work,
could the problem be with the speed of flash/sdhc vs a hard disk?