spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#451 Post by James C »

Desksetup 0.4 is working fine here.Presently running 2 frugals and 1 full install of 055.

Tried Trinity....... tried to load but got some error messages that I don't remember at the moment.Will check again a bit later.

DaveS

#452 Post by DaveS »

Something is not quite right with the mplayer browser performance.
Click on this link and mplayer should load in a fresh page of the browser, fill its cache to around 7% and then begin to play the video as a stream. This is how it works in all my other Puppies. In spup it does not work. I think it tries to download the whole video and then play it, though I ran out of patience waiting for it to complete.
Try the link first in spup, then in Lucid to see what I mean. Sorry for the late heads up :(

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TEDTalks ... _2010X.mp4
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jim1911

#453 Post by Jim1911 »

DaveS wrote:Something is not quite right with the mplayer browser performance.
Click on this link and mplayer should load in a fresh page of the browser, fill its cache to around 7% and then begin to play the video as a stream. This is how it works in all my other Puppies. In spup it does not work. I think it tries to download the whole video and then play it, though I ran out of patience waiting for it to complete.
Try the link first in spup, then in Lucid to see what I mean. Sorry for the late heads up :(

I'm in Lucid 5.2 and it tried to download the entire page but stopped when the cache filled up. It may be a page problem, I don't think it has anything to do with spup. What pup has this link worked on?

pemasu

#454 Post by pemasu »

Same with me. Using Snowpuppy-004. It loads cache 100 % full and then stops.

Stripe

#455 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

same hear Dave seamonkey is just trying to download it

I cant get MHwaveedit to work. missing dependency libsamplerate.so.0

cheers

Stripe

DaveS

#456 Post by DaveS »

Jim1911 wrote:What pup has this link worked on?
Working perfectly in latest Lucid, Wary, and Q13. Using either Seamonkey or Firefox.

EDIT: also works in Chrome and Opera as it should, again in Lucid etc.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

yarddog

#457 Post by yarddog »

01micko wrote:Hi yarddog

Good the drive icons are fixed but it does seem to appear that something on your system is corrupt. If you have to press ctrl-alt-bkspce just to restart X then something is wrong. I can't see anything obvious with what you have installed but it appears X is not being killed. You list "xorghigh".. is this the one from lupu? If so that will be your issue. We do have a "mesa" package for spup that should do the same thing, available from the setup icon, "Update X Drivers" or the PPM, type "mesa*" in the search box with the spup repo checked. Make sure you uninstall xorg_high first, and pray that that doesn't break anything!

Thanks for reporting

Cheers
uninstalled xorghigh and installed mesa-7.8.1-spup.pet which did not fix my problem
reformatted partition and did another full install of spup-055.
each time i install a pet i check to make sure i can restart x from the menu - so far so good
if it breaks again, then i will know what caused it
thanks for your help

yarddog

01micko

#458 Post by 01micko »

DaveS wrote:Something is not quite right with the mplayer browser performance.

Thanks for report DaveS

I found the problem... the guy who makes the gecko mediaplayer plugin also makes gnome-mplayer... naturally he makes the plugin dependant on gnome-mplayer :roll:

Install gnome-mplayer from the repo and it works just fine.

Sorry about that.

Stripe, I'll fix MHwaveedit, I'll recompile, I think it can be done disabling libsamplerate. That was one of Iguleder's, I didn't check it... :roll: :oops:

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#459 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: Install gnome-mplayer from the repo and it works just fine.
The url plays fine in SeaMonkey now.

The video was a lot more interesting than watching it snow outside...... :lol:

DaveS

#460 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:
Install gnome-mplayer from the repo and it works just fine.
Done. Fixed. Thanks.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#461 Post by DaveS »

James C wrote:
01micko wrote: Install gnome-mplayer from the repo and it works just fine.
The url plays fine in SeaMonkey now.

The video was a lot more interesting than watching it snow outside...... :lol:
The video comes from the TED Talks web site. http://www.ted.com/talks
More interesting videos than you could ever dream of watching. It is updated pretty much daily so I have it set up as an RSS feed in Google reader.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

gerry

#462 Post by gerry »

Pnethood reports "No shares found" (or words to that effect). But Pnethood 0.66 in Wary Final does find the share folder and the printer on my XP computer.

gerry

yarddog

spup-055 built from latest woof

#463 Post by yarddog »

have a new item that i need your assistance on. have full install and when i boot notice following

waiting for modules to complete loading - USB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

what are the numbers following USB - don't have these on other hard drive installs

regards
yarddog

rjbrewer

Re: spup-055 built from latest woof

#464 Post by rjbrewer »

yarddog wrote:have a new item that i need your assistance on. have full install and when i boot notice following

waiting for modules to complete loading - USB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

what are the numbers following USB - don't have these on other hard drive installs

regards
yarddog
The latest Wary (Wary5) does that too. It's an extended delay while
loading devices.

I'm sticking with the earlier Wary.0.9.8 because it doesn't have that
problem.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Tasgarth

#465 Post by Tasgarth »

have a new item that i need your assistance on. have full install and when i boot notice following waiting for modules to complete loading - USB 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

Another possibility ( Puppy Lupu113 full install):
I had the same problem with a keyboard and (or) a mouse on a PC (8 years old) that accepts only the PS/2.
I wanted to change to USB keyboard and mouse using connectors USB-/PS/2 => Rebooted the PC ( Puppy Lupu113 full install): ....
It sought desperately in USB 'input' and not in the PS/2 ...=> USB 1,2,3, etc. ...

peebee

#466 Post by peebee »

gerry wrote:Pnethood reports "No shares found" (or words to that effect). But Pnethood 0.66 in Wary Final does find the share folder and the printer on my XP computer.

gerry
Same for me - pnethood in spup055 doesn't find any shares - lameSMB does connect though. pnethood in lupu520 works fine.

Cheers
Peter

Tasgarth

Bash 4

#467 Post by Tasgarth »

It seems that bash 4 does not work? (spup 55 pupsave)
Bash 3 commands only work.
I could be at fault or maybe I understood something wrong.
thanks for your help
Attachments
bash.png
(14.81 KiB) Downloaded 1633 times

01micko

#468 Post by 01micko »

gerry

Thanks for reporting that pnethood is not working. I will look into this, but it does seem Barry has recently made a patched version, pnethood-0.6.6.2, however it's not available at the moment due to problems at the ibiblio repo.

peebee

Thanks for reporting that lamesmbexplorer does work, that confirms that at least the smb-client backend is working so that the issue with pnethood should be only a scripting change.

Tasgarth

As far as I know, whereis is a separate executable and not part of bash4. Be aware that many execs such as whois, which etc., are busybox applets and not the full versions, whereis is not included in Puppy. This is of course a space saving measure.
I needed bash>=4 to compile gnumeric, it would not wotk in bash<4. That's one reason I included it.
There is also a minor bug in spup bash-4* that I fixed in the previous pages.

Code: Select all

ln -sf /bin/bash /usr/bin/bash
This is needed by some scripts, notably ldd.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#469 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

01micko I have compiled glib 2.26.1 as well as glibc 2.12.2 in spup and made pets if they are of any use just shout
(I am trying to compile and build spup with the latest releases all on one machine)

cheers

stripe

Hesse James

Frugal installation on USB Flash

#470 Post by Hesse James »

Hello all
Has anybody of you tried to boot a frugal installation from USB-flashdisk ?
Spup055 refuses to search for Safefiles on other attached storage media. This is independent of the pmedia entry in isolinux.cfg being usbflash, ataflash or CD. An identical behavior shows lupu520. With lupu511 this was different.
Not having red fully through the last 32 pages of this thread: is there an easy measure for a workaround ?
Thank you in advance for a solution.

By the way, does anybody of you have experience with checkinstall for Slackware ?
http://checkinstall.izto.org/
Does this checkinstall-1.6.2-i386-10.tgz work for spup too ? I have tried but I was not really successful at all. I need additional investigation time.

Best regards

Christian