spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ICPUG

#376 Post by ICPUG »

mikeslr

Regarding slow booting because it is searching the drives ...

I don't use spup but in the latest woof boot only looks where you tell it - if you tell it.

Make use of the pmedia boot code to limit the searching to a specific device.

Use pdev1 to limit the searching to a specific partition on that device

Use psubdir to limit the searching to a specific directory on that partition.

I think you need to specify pmedia=XXX where XXX is the code for the type of drive where your frugal is installed.

nooby

#377 Post by nooby »

So what should one write?
I don't use spup but in the latest woof boot only looks where you tell it - if you tell it.
my menu.lst code maybe is wrong then?
title spup-055 using SeaMonkey 2.08 1024x600 did not cold boot
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/spup-055/vmlinuz rootdelay=8 root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=scsihd psubdir=spup-055 pfix=fsck video=640x480
initrd (hd0,2)/spup-055/initrd.gz
I don't understand this root=/dev/ram0

Should I have pdev= something?

it does not cold boot. Hangs. But can warm boot if I boot into Fluppy and then reboot into spup-055
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

MinHundHettePerro

#378 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:MHHP

You may find Barry's way easier.. though Iguleder's would probably work, I haven't tried.

Barry's instructions: http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm

HTH :)

Cheers
Thanks, I worked it out with a combination of the above linked instructions, Iguleder's and Bk's compile time notes. :)
Have built a few versions of 2.6.35.10, in various states of cutdown, and they all play nicely with my woof-built slackpups (based loosely on your spup053 specs).

Thanx :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

pemasu

#379 Post by pemasu »

Code: Select all

make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=linux_kernel-2.6.35.10-p install
should be

make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=linux_kernel-2.6.35.10-p modules_install
the first one tries to do installation of newly compiled files to /boot and also relies on finding lilo files, dont work in puppies.
The second one is the way to get new set of compiled modules in separate folder so that they won`t get mixed with the existing ones if you recompile the same kernel.

There is error in Iguleder`s instruction, probably he notices this info, when he gets next vacation from army.

MinHundHettePerro

#380 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

nooby wrote:my menu.lst code maybe is wrong then?
title spup-055 using SeaMonkey 2.08 1024x600 did not cold boot
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/spup-055/vmlinuz rootdelay=8 root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=scsihd psubdir=spup-055 pfix=fsck video=640x480
initrd (hd0,2)/spup-055/initrd.gz
I don't understand this root=/dev/ram0
root=/dev/ram0 was needed for puppies up to 2.17 (I think), so you can skip that here.

Should I have pdev= something?
Perhaps pdev1=sda3, in this case.

it does not cold boot. Hangs. But can warm boot if I boot into Fluppy and then reboot into spup-055
video=640x480 is set as a default kernel command line option, so should not be needed (does no harm, though).
rootnoverify (hd0,2) sets the root, so (hd0,2) won't be needed on the kernel- and initrd-lines.
You could try

title spup-055 using SeaMonkey 2.08  1024x600 did not cold boot
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /spup-055/vmlinuz rootdelay=8 pmedia=scsihd psubdir=spup-055 pfix=fsck
  initrd /spup-055/initrd.gz
No guarantees it'll work, though :).

Cheers :)/
MHHP

MinHundHettePerro

#381 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

pemasu wrote:

make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=linux_kernel-2.6.35.10-p install
should be

make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=linux_kernel-2.6.35.10-p modules_install
the first one tries to do installation of newly compiled files to /boot and also relies on finding lilo files, dont work in puppies.
The second one is the way to get new set of compiled modules in separate folder so that they won`t get mixed with the existing ones if you recompile the same kernel.

There is error in Iguleder`s instruction, probably he notices this info, when he gets next vacation from army.
Thanks, pemasu :)!
That's how it goes when trying to blindly follow some instructions, and not scrutinising the code thoroughly enough (if even grasping it at all :shock: ). I found some other errors, but tore my hair over this INSTALL_MOD_PATH.

Thanx :)/
MHHP

Stripe

#382 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

anyone know how to restart rox from the command line so that it will run any differrences made to it?

I know it does it when you change the icon set but cant find the code concerned,

I am trying to write an app for greater control over the desktop icons

have got the main spup sfs down to 103mb just by trimming the kernel to the same as barry has in wary 500

Cheers

Stripe

MinHundHettePerro

#383 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Stripe wrote:Hi all

anyone know how to restart rox from the command line so that it will run any differrences made to it?

rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
hth :)/
MHHP

Stripe

#384 Post by Stripe »

Thank you very much for that

Stripe

ICPUG

#385 Post by ICPUG »

Nooby,

I don't think your boot failure is due to lack of pdev1=sda3 in your menu.lst, although I would put it in.

If the pmedia, pdev1, psubdir parameters were wrong I would expect an error of the form 'cannot find xxxx' rather than a hang.

The fact that a warm boot after fluppy works suggests that your menu.lst was OK for that case so it should be OK for the cold boot case.

The root=/dev/ram0 in a frugal install is a throwback to a very long time ago. Not needed but causes no harm, except confusion!

Stripe

#386 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Have just finished my first attempt at making a pet from scratch.

iconsetup-01.pet ((21K)

it is to rearange icons on the desktop and save the settings

If you have some time feel free to pull it to bits and tell me what you think

I know it is all run off the menu (I cant do gui's yet lol) but thats the next stage

download (21K):
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwWD08 ... ist&num=50

cheers

stripe

mick hope you and everyone else is OK, have read you post in the off topic thread and I hope it returns to normal soon.

MinHundHettePerro

#387 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Some questions on woof :) (this seems to be the most active woof-thread).

At the moment I'm woofing slack131-based puppies with some pets of my own, K2.6.35.10 (and some mods to rootfs-skeleton and rootfs-complete), while (more and more loosely) basing it all on (leeching from) 01micko's and Iguleder's spupping.

First question:
In 1download there is the routine that checks if quirky is first or second in PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER, otherwise quirky is set to PACKAGELISTS_PET_THIRD. PACKAGELISTS_PET_PRIMARY|SECOND|LAST are set from PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER; what happens if five PACKAGELISTS are given in PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER? Does the fourth, by any chance, get ignored and replaced by the last?

I haven't been able to follow all the code in support/inline_get_pet to feel that it would be OK to have five PACKAGELISTS in PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER.

Second question:
I see that woofers, like 01micko and Iguleder, give their own pet-packages (that don't have a corresponding package in the main repos) a name prepended by "z_"; is this only for convienience (to have them last in the pkgs-list), or are "z_"-pets treated differently like "z"-squashfiles are/were in init?

Third question:
I've made a small collection of pets that I store locally and want to include in the woof-build;
I've done this so far by making a list "Packages-puppy-pet_packages_p-unofficial", which I put first in PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER, and have entered corresponding entries in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-13.1, then I have copied my pets into packages-pet/, to stop woof from trying to download them.
Is all this necessary, or would it be sufficient to insert the entries into DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-slackware-13.1 and copy the pets to packages-pet? And could my local "repo" then be omitted from PACKAGELISTS_PET_ORDER?

Cheers :), from a wondering MHHP :?

Stripe

#388 Post by Stripe »

Hi MinHundHettePerro

have you seen the spup/woof tutorial on page 1

sorry I cant help more

Stripe

MinHundHettePerro

#389 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Stripe wrote:Hi MinHundHettePerro

have you seen the spup/woof tutorial on page 1

sorry I cant help more

Stripe
Thanks, Stripe :)!
01micko's tut' was, actually, what brought me over the woofing ridge in the first place :).
Good as it is, it still left me wondering about some intricacies of woof (mine or woof's .... :?).

Cheers :)/
MHHP

01micko

#390 Post by 01micko »

MHHP

first question.. as far as I am aware that order is just set and followed, nothing ignored. If I have my own local pets I usually put my "local" repo first. In my local repo I usually only put the latest apps that didn't make it into wary/quirky, such as latest Pmusic. I have the luxury of the brainwaves repo so I upload all stuffs there first and occasionally test that those packages download correctly.

second.. 'z' prefix is for nothing more than surety that that pet gets executed last in the woof build process, thus overwriting anything installed previously, and that's it, they are treated no differently to any other pet. I generally use these to overcome issues in the default woof template, such as enhancements to PPM or whatever (this is how Barry's 'zzz' package works too, overwriting original woof stuff), and the cups fix overwrites the default in cups.

third.. you need all entries :wink: , although I think GrumpyWolfe does it differently, there is a discussion in the extra pets forum somewhere.

HTH :)

Cheers

As DaveS discovered early on we have compositing in spup, and it works quite well. I think it works better when at least mesa is installed so I made a Startup script that detects if mesa is installed (well libGL actually) and runs xcompmgr, There is a nag screen which can either turn off compositing (may be preferable on older kit) or at least turn off the nag screen. (see attachment)

Enjoy!

Stripe

Thanks for catching the qt bug, I'll reupload the package. Also I can get the VLC plugin recognised now, it was missing xcb-util, which will be going into spup-056 by default, it's tiny. However, the VLC browser plugin seems not to work at all, at least in Seamonkey. :cry: I might make the plugin a separate pet, maybe it will work in a different browser.

Cheers
Attachments
xcompmgr_startup.pet
this pet should work in wary/quirky too, so long as mesa/dri is installed
(649 Bytes) Downloaded 230 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Stripe

#391 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

mick you did set the seamonkey helper applications to the vlc plugin in preferences? (of course you did but I had to ask)

I am not a big seamonkey fan, but it has the email app (if anybody ever uses it) and it works great with spup, I have had problems with firefox (compiled, binarys and beta versions) saving bookmarks.

I have two python pets to upload 2.7.1 & 3.1.3, have just about got wbar working properly and I also have the trimmed kernel modules if needed.

Cheers

stripe

Iguleder

#392 Post by Iguleder »

Hey guys, here's a Pidgin 2.7.9 SFS. I also made PETs, they're in the pet_packages-igu directory as usual :)

I also compiled a new Bash 4.1.9, plus Coreutils 8.9. At the moment I'm trying to build a sane spup with those two ... let's see if there's any speed improvement with the threaded coreutils 8)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

Stripe

#393 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

have nearly finished my latest monster, a 102 mb sfs based on 055 with only flashplayer removed and the kernel trimmed along the wary small iso lines. Its still using the original jwm not that it looks like it.

I have gone a bit far with trimming the task bar (its gone) any ideas on how to get a plain taskbar with nothing on it, (just to catch the minimized windows as at the moment they are just disapearing lol)

sorted now thanks

Cheers

Stripe

stu90

#394 Post by stu90 »

Hi Stripe. re task bar do you mean like this?

<JWM>

<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="28" >

<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->

<TaskList/>

</Tray>
</JWM>

Stripe

#395 Post by Stripe »

Thats brilliant stu

Thanks very much
stripe