spup-100 April 2011

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Barburo

#361 Post by Barburo »

mikeslr wrote:
I understand that JWM Configuration is flakey. So, I looked around for some other Windows managers and other panel configuration apps, but couldn't find any that would work in sPup. Openbox from Slackware installed, but I couldn't find config or panel managers to work with it.
Fluxbox 1.1.1 installed OK for me through the PPM works OK.
Although Xfce-4.6.1 said it installed OK (via PPM), I cannot find out how to get it to work as there are no entries in the menus, and exiting to CM and typing "xwin StartXFCE" doesn't work either.

I see that there are some Compiz-Fusion tools in the Spup menus and I know C-F works with Xfce so I would like to make that combo work in Spup if possible. Any hints, tips, info on this?

B.
[i]Laptop[/i]: Acer Aspire 5810TZ

01micko

#362 Post by 01micko »

Hello Barburo,

The command to start xfce is "xwin startxfce4".

Good luck with compiz! Would be cool if you get it going. I know it needs python for the gui. One thing I have noticed is that the Slackware packages are very bloated. Everything seems to be compiled with all dependencies enabled.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#363 Post by 01micko »

Brown Mouse wrote:Hi micko

Still in 053 with Mesa installed and when I tried to run the new Google Earth.sfs found it wouldn't fire up..

I see this in a console:-

# googleearth
/usr/lib/googleearth/googleearth-bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libQtDBus.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN14QObjectPrivate15checkWindowRoleEv
Ok, this could be my bad, we have a qt library conflict, I'm guessing you have VLC installed?

What I will probably have to do is make a standard qt package for spup that doesn't conflict with Slackware versions, then offer that as a pet, then rebuild the 2 sfs without qt which will make them dependent upon the qt package. At least that would eliminate conflicts.

The other, easier, thing I could do is move those libraries (in the sfss) out of /usr/lib to some other location and run a special script at launch adding that location to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH... ok that's a bit over some heads! I might try that first and if it works I'll re-upload the sfss.

Cheers

Stripe

#364 Post by Stripe »

hi all

01micko, I will try and recompile vlc with qt4 disabled (if that helps), and if that dosent work, I could make an sfs out of it.

hope this helps

Stripe

01micko

#365 Post by 01micko »

Hi Stripe (and others)

I have been following this qt thing in Barry's blog too. Qt is a fussy animal, there is no 'mix-n-match'. I would advise against using Barry's packages in spup. They are designed for wary, with wary as the sole target.

Leave your vlc as is, it's fine I think.

The problem is with these sfs that are I think ubuntu versions. I am in the process of compiling a skinny qt from the slackware sources, for maximum compatibility at a minimum cost. Then I should be able to recompile googleearth and stellarium against those qt libs. I'll leave those sfs up but I'll add a warning.. "incompatible with some apps" or something.

I did manages to make sfs with the library dir renamed and they both ran ok, but google had one annoying problem of not showing the photos at a given photo point. Stellarium seemed to run just fine. However this is only a stop gap. I want a proper solution!

We are having fun eh? :lol:

Cheers!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#366 Post by BarryK »

Yeah, I compiled Qt in Wary without Dbus. I really am going against the grain leaving out Dbus, and might have to reconsider for a future Wary.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

DaveS

#367 Post by DaveS »

BarryK wrote:Yeah, I compiled Qt in Wary without Dbus. I really am going against the grain leaving out Dbus, and might have to reconsider for a future Wary.
Please...
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Stripe

#368 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

01micko compiled vlc without qt enabled but all I could get was the no gui version

I am on downloading qt 4.7.1 and am going to compile it in slackpup, do you know if any flags need to be set? will keep you informed

Cheers

Stripe

Billtoo

spup-055 built from latest woof

#369 Post by Billtoo »

I did a full install of 055 and installed the newest nvidia driver for
my card.
I compiled qt-4.7.1 in spup 055 and made a
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.7.1-i686.pet (40mb) and a
qt-everywhere-opensource-src_DEV-4.7.1-i686.pet (1.7mb) and then
installed Barry's new vlc-1.1.5-w5.pet and also the Google_Earth-5.1.sfs.
They are both working well.

It took a while :)

Edit: I made a pet of what seems to be the "Mother of all text editors" emacs 23.2
Last edited by Billtoo on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Bootup slow at "Recognizing Optical Drives" SOLVED I think

#370 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko and All,

I'm still in sPup 053. I'll probably do a frugal install of 055 later today. But earlier in this thread Stripe, I think, mentioned that during the bootup sequence, when it reaches "Recognizing Optical Drives" --or words to that effect-- it appears to take a great deal of time. I've also noticed this. However, its not just an sPup phenomena. It occurs, as well, in Lucid 5.2, and I think Lucid 5.11, 'though the latter maybe slightly faster.
I didn't run tests with a stop-watch, just rule of thumb: "1 Mississippi" = 1 second. Lucids and sPups take about 15 seconds to recognize Optical Drives, while Puppy 431 takes about 8 seconds.
No big deal. I can live with the delay. I was just wondering if the routine changed? and if so, whether there was a good reason for the change?
As sPups are still in development, I thought you might want to look into it.

mikesLr

Edit:
Immediately after above post, I did a manual frugal install of sPup055. Created SaveFile and rebooted. There was no appreciable delay at "recognizing optical drives" while booting up. If anything, its faster than Puppy 431. Thanks, 01micko, if you did something. Thanks computer jinns if you decided to stop screwing around.

mikesLr

01micko

#371 Post by 01micko »

mikeslr

The slower booting is a woof thing. Barry has new code in the init scripts that search drives more thoroughly. If you have a usb storage device plugged in (and this can even be a printer, you know, the one's with the card reader :wink: ) booting is significantly slower as it searches usb devices.

Stripe and Billtoo

A couple of points about Qt.

I am compiling the Slackware version from the Slackware patched source. It has patches for Kde, which may be relevant if and when I decide to compile Trinity Kde. At present that version is qt-4.6.2.

If you compile with openGL enabled you must use the Mesa headers. If you have proprietary headers installed the openGL component will only work on that hardware. The Mesa headers are in PPM, but you have to search, just type "mesa_DEV*" in the find box. You'll only get 1 hit and it's only about 200k download. If you also have proprietary headers installed you may have to set a CPPFLAG pointing to the mesa headers.

Have fun!

Cheers

Edit:

Ok, my qt-4.6.2 pet is about 30M, I managed to shift some stuff into the dev and doc pets. After some testing (and compiling some stuffs) I might upload. Everything is enabled including sqlite covering the sql lib.

Stripe

#372 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

01micko downloaded and compiled the (opensource) qt libs 4.7.1 source code (202mb) from nokia, with only --prefix=/usr set

It compiled in spup-055 running live in ram (4gb) no problem (about 6 hours on a amd twin core chip lol) and I now have a qt-4.7.1-i486 directory (429mb which I have saved) and is here should anyone want to use any of it.

If you have a file list for your new qt 4.6.2 pet (or perhaps not considering the size) could you post it and I will try to build it in 4.7.1 and see if it works.

Cheers

Stripe

edited to add: has made a 188mb pet

01micko

#373 Post by 01micko »

I've posted qt-4.6.2.. and some apps.

Qt
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 486-s2.pet 25M
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 486-s2.pet 11M
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 486-s2.pet 39M
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 486-s2.pet 1M

This directly from the Slackware patched source but not compiled with the slackbuild script. It is compiled in a puppy way with everything except phonon enabled, it wouldn't build for me :( . Most stock Slackware apps should still work with this. The important pet is cut to 25M. The dev and doc pets are huge. There is an sfs posted of the main part only in the second post of this thread. That should be enough to get Qt apps going.
There is also a menu entry to control qtconfig, that is, you can control fontsize, background colours and various other features in Qt apps.

VLC

(depends on the qt pet)
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... p-i486.pet 4.7M
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... p-i486.pet 147K
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... p-i486.pet 23K
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... p-i486.pet 6.5M

Everything is enabled in VLC, all codecs possible, even the browser plugin (which don't work for me, does it work for you?)
Configure options:

Code: Select all

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --build=i486-linux-gnu --with-gnu-ld --enable-dbus --enable-run-as-root --enable-v4l --enable-id3tag --enable-merge-ffmpeg --enable-faad --enable-real --enable-realrtsp --enable-mozilla --disable-lua

Smplayer

http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 9-spup.pet 2.7M

Stellarium
http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 6-spup.pet 35M

This is a cool planetarium simulation. It compiled from source and is the latest version. All features are enabled. It is also available as an sfs from the second post. (still needs qt)

xulrunner

http://www.brainwavedesigncentral.net/m ... 2-i486.pet 20M

This was only needed to compile the VLC browser plugin.. and it may have been a waste of time anyway! (for that purpose :wink: )
This is a developer only package.

If you update the PPM all apps will appear in the spup section. A reboot may be necessary.

Cheers
Attachments
qtconfig1.png
(74.78 KiB) Downloaded 888 times

Stripe

#374 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Thanks very much 01micko, that's brilliant, will have a look in a while, that vlc looks great for the size.

I am trimming the kernel to match what barry has done in the small wary iso to see what it can be safely taken down too. and if it works ok I will try and substitute it for the original in woof, as barrys initrd.gz's are different so it looks like he trimmed it then woofed it, he removed flashplayer and there is some difference in the size of the root directory between his two builds of wary 500 will have a look once I've finished trimming.

cheers

stripe

Stripe

#375 Post by Stripe »

Hi mick

missing depencancy on qtconfig: libegl.so.1 but its part of mesa 7.8.1

cheers

ICPUG

#376 Post by ICPUG »

mikeslr

Regarding slow booting because it is searching the drives ...

I don't use spup but in the latest woof boot only looks where you tell it - if you tell it.

Make use of the pmedia boot code to limit the searching to a specific device.

Use pdev1 to limit the searching to a specific partition on that device

Use psubdir to limit the searching to a specific directory on that partition.

I think you need to specify pmedia=XXX where XXX is the code for the type of drive where your frugal is installed.

nooby

#377 Post by nooby »

So what should one write?
I don't use spup but in the latest woof boot only looks where you tell it - if you tell it.
my menu.lst code maybe is wrong then?
title spup-055 using SeaMonkey 2.08 1024x600 did not cold boot
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/spup-055/vmlinuz rootdelay=8 root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=scsihd psubdir=spup-055 pfix=fsck video=640x480
initrd (hd0,2)/spup-055/initrd.gz
I don't understand this root=/dev/ram0

Should I have pdev= something?

it does not cold boot. Hangs. But can warm boot if I boot into Fluppy and then reboot into spup-055
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

MinHundHettePerro

#378 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:MHHP

You may find Barry's way easier.. though Iguleder's would probably work, I haven't tried.

Barry's instructions: http://www.puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm

HTH :)

Cheers
Thanks, I worked it out with a combination of the above linked instructions, Iguleder's and Bk's compile time notes. :)
Have built a few versions of 2.6.35.10, in various states of cutdown, and they all play nicely with my woof-built slackpups (based loosely on your spup053 specs).

Thanx :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

pemasu

#379 Post by pemasu »

make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=linux_kernel-2.6.35.10-p install
should be

make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=linux_kernel-2.6.35.10-p modules_install
the first one tries to do installation of newly compiled files to /boot and also relies on finding lilo files, dont work in puppies.
The second one is the way to get new set of compiled modules in separate folder so that they won`t get mixed with the existing ones if you recompile the same kernel.

There is error in Iguleder`s instruction, probably he notices this info, when he gets next vacation from army.

MinHundHettePerro

#380 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

nooby wrote:my menu.lst code maybe is wrong then?
title spup-055 using SeaMonkey 2.08 1024x600 did not cold boot
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel (hd0,2)/spup-055/vmlinuz rootdelay=8 root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=scsihd psubdir=spup-055 pfix=fsck video=640x480
initrd (hd0,2)/spup-055/initrd.gz
I don't understand this root=/dev/ram0
root=/dev/ram0 was needed for puppies up to 2.17 (I think), so you can skip that here.

Should I have pdev= something?
Perhaps pdev1=sda3, in this case.

it does not cold boot. Hangs. But can warm boot if I boot into Fluppy and then reboot into spup-055
video=640x480 is set as a default kernel command line option, so should not be needed (does no harm, though).
rootnoverify (hd0,2) sets the root, so (hd0,2) won't be needed on the kernel- and initrd-lines.
You could try

title spup-055 using SeaMonkey 2.08  1024x600 did not cold boot
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /spup-055/vmlinuz rootdelay=8 pmedia=scsihd psubdir=spup-055 pfix=fsck
  initrd /spup-055/initrd.gz
No guarantees it'll work, though :).

Cheers :)/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx