aarf

#16 Post by aarf »

manual frugal with menu.lst

Code: Select all

title spup051
root (hd1,0)
kernel /spup051/vmlinuz pfix=copy phome=spup051 psubdir=spup051 pfix=fsck
initrd /spup051/initrd.gz
seems to be something wrong with the letters. this stays the same when moved about the screen. same happens with the lettering during wifi connect.
edit: seems that a and r are affected but not always.

is the desktop image of the great divide symbolic?

sns still doesn't tell you if it is wep or wpa so you have to guess and not make a mistake when you enter the password.
good that no partitions are mounted by default.

edit first boot was defaults with x24
second boot exactly the same as the first (ie. no pupsave) except oz ingerlish chosen and then the letters are ok.
Attachments
lettering.jpg
(20.03 KiB) Downloaded 1982 times
Last edited by aarf on Wed 08 Dec 2010, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.

Brown Mouse

#17 Post by Brown Mouse »

aarf wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Spot the two errors :wink:
erm, the time is wrong. My time doesnt say that at all. Ah the second one is too difficult.

edit oh i see it now two wrong times so two errors, how could i miss that :cry:

by the way i think you might have a faulty install because the time is ok on mine.
The times are ok,it's in 12hr clock mode.

01micko

#18 Post by 01micko »

Ok aarf.. the pattern seems to be bold lowercase letters 'r' and 'a'. Is it the same if they are not bold? Bold usally occers in Rox when the files are new. If you change the gtk theme is it still the same? Does it occur in anything else apart from Rox? Yes, yes, lots of questions but I don't seem to have the issue. I installed opera-11beta too.

is the desktop image of the great divide symbolic?
yes

Barry's app, guess it should be mentioned. (re sns)

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

aarf

#19 Post by aarf »

Brown Mouse wrote:
aarf wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Spot the two errors :wink:
erm, the time is wrong. My time doesnt say that at all. Ah the second one is too difficult.

edit oh i see it now two wrong times so two errors, how could i miss that :cry:

by the way i think you might have a faulty install because the time is ok on mine.
The times are ok,it's in 12hr clock mode.
so i got none out of two. :oops: hope it wasn't some really worthwhile prize, you know like a trip to the moon or something. anyhow good luck to the other contestants.

aarf

#20 Post by aarf »

made some changes to the original post. the black text on yellow background popup messages during wifi connect were also affected. have to concur with bold affected. could be US keyboard with Us english a factor too. all ok now in US keyboard with oz english.
wifi is self disconnecting when typing too long and not surfing. disconnecting doesnt happen in puppeee1
Edited this post too.

Jim1911

#21 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko,

Thanks for this new spup, it works fine. The extras, especially those essential for the deskbound, are great. All installed applications appear to work find.
  • === EXTRASFSS ===
    Bibletime_lucid-2.7.2a.sfs
    firefox4b7wary.sfs
    java_jre-6u22-Lucid-sfs4.sfs
    LibreOffice-3.3.0b3_sfs4.sfs
    OpenOffice.org3-3.3.0rc7_sfs4.sfs
    spup_devx_051.sfs
    === User Installed Pkgs (PPM) ===
    Package Description
    numlockx-1.2-i486 turns on numlock at boot
    gnome-games-Lite_2.26.1-i486-Spup Avoid the robots and make them crash into each other
    gimp-2.6.6-i486-1 Gimp image editor
    sfs_grabber-0.1 Install sfs files
    nvidia-260.19.21-k2.6.34.1s5 Configure NVIDIA X Server Settings
    LHP_sys_info-0.3 Lighthouse System Information & Video Report
    hplip-3.9.12-scan HP Scanner Drivers
    Wbar_with_setup-1.3.3-Lucid Wbar Setup -adjust wbar settings
  • Observations:
    1. Printer setup has gone backwards, now requiring CUPS password, naturally I forgot it.
    2. Seamonkey is fine, however, a later version that allows update would be preferably.
    3. Wbar works fine, but first Quickpet needs to be deleted using Wbar Setup.
Well, got to get back to Luci. :wink:

Cheers,
Jim

01micko

#22 Post by 01micko »

Brown Mouse- at what stage did you notice the help icon awol? Installing another browser maybe? That could conceivably do it. I see the coluoration issues with a certain program :wink: .. unload each module till you have only the one that is showing correctly then reload all of them and switch theme, might just work.. it is a bug in that app.

James C -looks like you need to learn Italian! Actually any firefox package should work, dbus is in the main system, but it tends to break seamonkey for some weird reason. Next version will include seamonkey-2.0.10 (or later if available) with dbus enabled.

As for other browsers, Opera11 from SHS works fine as does Iron, but it needs, gconf, eggdbus, ORBit2 and polkit.. package later, and maybe a default chooser (differsnt from luci's :wink: )

johnnywinner.. nice desktop! Where did you get the tint 2 (version please) and openbox packages? As for the suspend issue it could be to do with rfkill, I didn't look at the kernel configuration but I believe it is disabled. It also could be a video driver issue .. some more info from you please? (Computer model, vid driver)

Sir Jasper -thanks for kind words. Enjoy learning the differences! I will look into memory calculation issues.

Jim -root, woofwoof (cups password).. I'll try to get rid of it and if I can't put a message in the initial dialog. Seamonkey is getting updated. :wink: I may make a special wbar package with the slack imlib2 (well at least compiled the slack way :wink: .. there's plenty of 'hands on' with SlackwareTM!) Ok, Seamonkey-2.0.10 is posted in the second post (dbus enabled, pretty small too :wink: , conflicts with firefox :( )

aarf -I'll load up on my eee and see if I can't sort that silly font issue, could be graphic driver related.. I'll try lots of locales.. I just thought.. does enabling utf8 make a difference?

Lobster... no quickpet as yet.. I gotta get back to Luci too, but this is here and isn't going anywhere in a hurry. Like I said, updates woofly :wink: (that could be daily! never know with BK!)

Luci should take priority over this. But in saying that Luci/Lupu isn't everyone's cup'o'tea, so to speak. It's here, use it if you want.

Please report.

Cheers!
Last edited by 01micko on Thu 09 Dec 2010, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Ray MK

#23 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Luvly Puppy - absolutely a PAW.

playing now - report later

so far - looks really nice.

Many thanks and best regards - Ray

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#24 Post by Béèm »

No problems to install FRUGAL (Lin'N'Win) and run my application environment.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Stripe

#25 Post by Stripe »

Hi micko

Nice to see a new pup without all the bells and whistles and a newish pre installed browser

2 usual problems,
1. new asus motherboard needs a sound card installed as with all woof built pups, installed progs never work with the on board sound.
2. printer does not work with cups, but installing gutenprint 5.2.3 does not fix it this time, cups is not recognising my printer at all (epson s21 on usb)

downloading devx and will get back after further testing.
Looks good though
Stripe

Tui

No sound detected !

#26 Post by Tui »

I did a live CD run with this one on
my main machine, main things to get started --
i.e. connect to the internet, and lets have some sound.
Well that works ok!

So off I went to my laptop for a frugal install, network ok!,
but won't find my sound card.

Machine COMPAQ N1020V

Thank you all and have a Happy Christmas!

Tui

James C

#27 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: James C -looks like you need to learn Italian! Actually any firefox package should work, dbus is in the main system, but it tends to break seamonkey for some weird reason. Next version will include seamonkey-2.0.10 (or later if available) with dbus enabled.
Somebody wasn't paying attention. :lol:
Grabbed 3.6.3 from the official repo,updated to 3.6.12 and all is good.
Attachments
Italian Firefox.png
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 1720 times

01micko

#28 Post by 01micko »

Mi scusi, Signor James C! :lol:

Stripe -gutenprint-5.2.6 is posted in the main post, DOC, DEV and NLS too.

Tui... I wonder if your sound driver failed to load? Does it normally? (I guess so). Did you try to use the "Setup ALSA Sound" from the setup icon? Two outputs I want from your laptop. Run 'lsmod' in a terminal and save to a file, also 'lspci'. Thanks. Oh, was the speaker icon in they tray?

Cheers

Iguleder

#29 Post by Iguleder »

Hey 01micko, good job with this one :D

Wanted to ask - do you need a kernel? Going to the army on this Monday so I don't have any time left for big project. In this week I compiled about 5 kernels, wrote a minixcal replacement, hacked a retrovol replacement and did lots of small projects.

Yesterday I started working on 2.6.35.9 with an intel_idle backport from 2.6.36.1, should save 0.5W of power usage on Atom systems. Would you like me to upload this thing? Maybe you'll find it useful, after all you're the mind behind Lupu's kernel.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

01micko

#30 Post by 01micko »

Well, 2 kernel are always a good idea.. I think BK released 431 with 4 kernels!

Thanks, and someone may as well take advantage of your great work! It will be appreciated.

Good luck with the Army adventure. Take care.

Cheers

Iguleder

#31 Post by Iguleder »

Alright, it's here. At the moment I'm compiling it to test my partial intel_idle backport and make sure it boots.

My previous build didn't, I replaced vmlinuz with a new one, hoping this thing will boot, so maybe it failed because the modules could not be loaded. The two kernels were very different, so maybe that's why it failed.

Anyway, 2.6.35.x was declared "longterm" and I really hope this kernel is going to work. I think I could also backport Squashfs from 2.6.36.1, since it has LZO support.

johnnywinner

#32 Post by johnnywinner »

01micko wrote:johnnywinner.. nice desktop! Where did you get the tint 2 (version please) and openbox packages? As for the suspend issue it could be to do with rfkill, I didn't look at the kernel configuration but I believe it is disabled. It also could be a video driver issue .. some more info from you please? (Computer model, vid driver)
tint2-0.11 and openbox-3.4.11.2, straight from PPM, worked fine. I'll make my own with slkbuild or src2pkg, but wanted to put the desktop together quickly.

Model name is Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor. Video driver: i915 (Intel).

Hope that helps!

---
Here is my /proc/cpuinfo, if that's of use:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 1862.131
cache size : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up bts est tm2
bogomips : 3724.26
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 32 bits physical, 32 bits virtual
power management:

Stripe

#33 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Printer sorted thanks 01micko

Devx looks great have just compiled vlc 1.1.5 just need to be able to run it as root now (to sort the dependencies), think I need a hex editor to alter the binary (unless someone knows different?)

Cheers
Stripe

Iguleder

#34 Post by Iguleder »

Stripe, I think VLC had some option in its configure script.

And by the way, thanks - 01micko, I'm downloading the ISO - I need a Puppy for my netbook, something I can use at least for a month :lol:

And by the way, do you want the minxcal replacement I wrote? minixcal is annoying - it doesn't close and if you look at the sources, they no longer compile, this package is ancient. I decided to write a simple calendar application based on a Hello World and minixcal (I took just the lines that deal with the calendar widget and modified them).

EDIT: I'll attach it, I talk too much.

EDIT 2: eeeek, the PET doesn't work, the "minixcal" script is not in PATH or something. Just download the sources and copy minixcal to /usr/bin.
Attachments
igucal-001.tar.gz
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
igucal-001.pet
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 632 times

01micko

#35 Post by 01micko »

Iguleder wrote:Stripe, I think VLC had some option in its configure script..
Yes, I think so too.
Iguleder wrote: EDIT: I'll attach it, I talk too much.

EDIT 2: eeeek, the PET doesn't work, the "minixcal" script is not in PATH or something. Just download the sources and copy minixcal to /usr/bin.
No worries, I'll take a look :wink:

Cheers