Fatdog64-510

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Prospere

powerplay

#31 Post by Prospere »

Hello since the Kernel of this release is 2.6.35, I would like to use powerplay for my radeon HD ATI card
but the command

Code: Select all

echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
send me

bash: /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
Since powerplay is in the Kernel, and not any other where, What happen?

Billtoo

Fatdog64-510

#32 Post by Billtoo »

This is Elinks text web browser, pressing the <Esc> key opens the menu.
The setup menu allows changing the language used in the menus, 31 languages.
Attachments
elinks_DOC-0.11.7-x86_64.pet
(26.64 KiB) Downloaded 623 times

davids45

wine sfs - winecfg error

#33 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Running 510 as a frugal, with the seamonkey pet linking well with my existing profile, bookmarks, address books and email files. So the 64-bit Pup can read the 32-bit data?

I have the 64-bit wine sfs booting at start-up but the winecfg is reporting an error when tried from urxvt:

/usr/bin/winecfg: line 29: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/winecfg: line 29: /usr/bin/wine: Success
The menu entries are in place in /usr/share/applications so the wine sfs seems to load up OK - just won't configure. No .wine directory in /root.

Thanks for any advice.

David S.

ghead

#34 Post by ghead »

tronkel

For what it's worth I have a similar problem. The network wizard in 510 detects the network and assigns an ip but I can't access the internet. I had no problem with 500 (I'm using it to write this).

gcmartin

#35 Post by gcmartin »

Cant connect to Internet
  1. What happens when you "ping yahoo.com"? ...post your ping result
  2. what browser are you using?

gcmartin

#36 Post by gcmartin »

I asked this question earlier and not answered, yet. So, I'm bumping it>

Anyone care to comment on why terminal sessions (Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc.) hang when you try to login? (System is LIveCD)

thanks in advance
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 11 Dec 2010, 21:48, edited 2 times in total.

tronkel

#37 Post by tronkel »

ghead wrote:
The network wizard in 510 detects the network and assigns an ip but I can't access the internet
Yep, that about sums up the problem. I wonder though if this is a firewall problem. I remember reading in one of the Fatdog64 threads that the firewall software version had been bumped. Could just be that this is the culprit.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

kirk

#38 Post by kirk »

Prospere,

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about powerplay. I just googled it and it seems to be part of the ATI proprietary driver, so try the ati-catalyst pet.

ghead, tronkel,

Did you enable the firewall? If not, it's not on by default. Try:

ping google.com

and

ping 208.67.222.222

If you get a reply from pinging google.com all should be well. Delete /root/spot/.mozilla and try Firefox again. If google does not respond, but 208.67.222.222 does reply then your DNS is bad. You can add 208.67.222.222 to /etc/resolv.conf and see if that works. (208.67.222.222 is a public dns) If 208.67.222.222 does not reply then your not getting routed to the internet. Try typing route in a terminal and see what your default gateway is, and then try to ping it. If you can't ping your gateway, ether your gateway address is wrong or your not connected to your network.

gcmartin,

Ctrl-alt-f2 works for me, maybe it's a graphics/KMS problem. I'm using intel graphics right now. I'll try on my ATI box next time I'm on it.

Guys, when I asked about Nvidia before, I wasn't clear. I was wanting to know how Nvidia support was without the Nvidia pet package installed.

jamesbond

#39 Post by jamesbond »

kirk,
I told TSK to use Unetbooting because he mentioned installation from Windows7.

ghead, tronkel,
Try this - open terminal and type this there:

echo "require 006" > /etc/dhcpcd.conf
then re-run network wizard.

Attached is also a fix for /usr/bin/xine.sh (this will enable playing media files in folders whose name contain spaces). Gunzip this in /usr/bin.

Billtoo,
Thanks - thinking to do the elinks myself.

Tui - I'm working on a diagnostic script (this script will collect some hw/setup info) - but that script is not ready yet.

cheers!
Attachments
xine.sh.gz
gunzip this into /usr/bin
(164 Bytes) Downloaded 576 times
Last edited by jamesbond on Sun 12 Dec 2010, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

Re: wine sfs - winecfg error

#40 Post by jamesbond »

davids45 wrote:G'day,

Running 510 as a frugal, with the seamonkey pet linking well with my existing profile, bookmarks, address books and email files. So the 64-bit Pup can read the 32-bit data?

I have the 64-bit wine sfs booting at start-up but the winecfg is reporting an error when tried from urxvt:

/usr/bin/winecfg: line 29: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/winecfg: line 29: /usr/bin/wine: Success
The menu entries are in place in /usr/share/applications so the wine sfs seems to load up OK - just won't configure. No .wine directory in /root.

Thanks for any advice.

David S.
David, not sure where you get the 64-bit wine. The only in Fatdog repository is 32-bit wine - it's the one compiled by green_dome (with suitably minor modifications). You need to use the 32-bit compatibility library (fd64-32bit-lib.sfs) to use it.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#41 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:I asked this question earlier and not answered, yet. So, I'm bumping it>

Anyone care to comment on why terminal sessions (Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc.) hang when you try to login? (System is LIveCD)

thanks in advance
gcmartin, most likely it doesn't hang (if you can switch back to X by using ctrl-alt-f7, it means the system doesn't hang), but the text video is garbled. Unfortunately I don't have any solution for this, other than trying to switch back and forth between X and the text console (ctrl-alt-f7 and ctrl-alt-f1 or f2).

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

A while back, there was some discussion about running Samba-TNG in Fatdog64. We successfully compiled a 64-bit version but it would never run correctly.

However, I have now tried fd64-510 with the fd64-32bit-libs-3.sfs. Under this combination, the original samba-tng-rcrsn 32-bit package works fine.

gcmartin

Terminal Window lost after login

#43 Post by gcmartin »

@Kirk, I haven't installed the nVidia support in liveCD mode. So the problem I am experiencing is in my use of what I get natively when LiveCD boots.

This system has a PCIe nvidia 250 (single card) on a SLI motherboard with multiple LAN and sound onboard. The processor is an X2 witn 4GB RAM.

Desktop seems stable excepting for lack of ability to get to Terminal sessions in Crtl-Alt-F2 to F6. When login ID, them password is entered, there is no further communications from that session. I can go back to the Desktop without problems and I can continue an work necessary. The FATDOG desktop seems stable no matter which workload I throw at it.

Up until this point, I have NOT installed 2 obvious packages for the use of your distro I have requirements for; namely full SAMBA to guide newbies (and non-newbies) in using FATDOG in a LAN with Windows PCs, Linux PCs, and multimedia devices. As reported earlier, the 64bit Full-SAMBA you made available and all of its tools work fine on FATDOG's earlier versions.

If you or anyone feel that by installing the nVidia ...260...PET will fix this dilemma, I will follow any recommendations and report back here with findings for others who may have similar configurations..

tronkel

#44 Post by tronkel »

@kirk

Thanks for the guidance on the DHCP problem.

ping google.com didn't work.
ping 208.67.222.22 did work.

I then added this to /etc/resolv.conf without restarting dhcp. This enabled browsing to google but not to other sites such as puppylinux.com and leo.com.

I then copied the IP address lines from /etc/resolv.conf.old back to /etc/resolv.conf and this then enabled me to browse all sites.

If I run dhcpcd again , this seems to erase the contents of /etc/resolv.conf - so the problem then reappears.

Seems then that there is a bug of some sort that affects dhcp.

Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the great 64 bit system. Runs very fast for me on this 3 year old AMD system.

tronkel

tronkel

#45 Post by tronkel »

@kirk

A system reboot blanks /etc/resolv.conf necessitating the DNS info to be re-copied back to /etc/resolv.conf from /etc/resolv.conf.old

tronkel

#46 Post by tronkel »

@kirk

Problems with ALSA

The sound icon has disappeared from the taskbar tray.
This occurred when I ran the ALSA sound wizard in order to try to get the microphone to work in Skype. The ALSA wizard didn't succeed in finding my sound card at all.

Prospere

#47 Post by Prospere »

@ kirk

I do not wish to use FGLR since powerplay work well on other distribs with 2.6.35 kernel

about the power play
h-online said
The rudimentary support of the power management functions of Radeon graphics chips already introduced in Linux 2.6.34 has been extended and optimised considerably in 2.6.35. How aggressive the driver's power saving efforts will be can be determined via /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method. For instance, writing "dynpm" to this file activates the fully automatic dynamic power management. Alternatively, by writing "profile" to the file, users can enable one of four profiles in the file /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile: "default" enables the standard GPU and memory clocks, "low" activates a power-saving mode, "high" a performance mode, and "auto" automatically switches between "low" and "high" depending on the power supply.
and this worked on slax remix, fedora, Ubuntu, Arch... since the 2.6.35.1

and on radeon IRC, they said it can work only if we use echo.
but this distrib is the first with 2.6.35 whitch do not have these file.

and since 10.7, fglrx do not support anymore powerplay for card officially full supported by 2.6.35

Sage

#48 Post by Sage »

Have been using this one solely as a liveCD so far.
Tonight, some old HDs became available so tried a FULL install. Complete dog's dinner, I'm afraid. Installation seem to go well, but boot came up with KP almost from the off. Shame. I overwrote it with Wary1.0.2 which worked outa-da-box at first asking. Clearly a SW issue.

davids45

#49 Post by davids45 »

G'day jamesbond,

Thanks for replying to my wine for Fatdog query.
I'd downloaded the wine version from the Fatdog collection at:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... g/sfs/500/

so was hoping it was a 64-bit version.

I've now got your recommended 32-bit libs sfs from the same place and will see how I go.

And I've just read the read-me from there as well which explains what does what - "better late than never" is often my excuse.

David S.

gcmartin

Problem is your DNS and your network layout

#50 Post by gcmartin »

tronkel wrote:@kirk

ping google.com didn't work.
ping ... did work.
If anyone should have a similar problem where their FATDOG goes onto the local LAN but it cannot get outside of your network to the internet, then, your problem is your internal network or the way your router is setup (if it came from your ISP). FATDOG is probably OK.

This feedback from Tronkel is indicative of a DNS problem. That's what you will want to focus on.
Hope this helps anyone