3G USB modem test request

rerwin

#46 Post by rerwin »

sjsrikanth wrote:rerwin

The 0421 version of modem-modprobe does recognize the modem.Thank you. But connecting without the dialer running in the background is a problem still.

The APN I use is bsnlnet.

Please do post a wvdial_options file for bsnl .
Thanks for confirming that the options work. About the dialer running in the background: that is how it must run to interface with the wvdial executable. You can close the connection dialog but leave the connection running without taking up screen space. To disconnect later, start pupdial again and click on the disconnect button. Since the dialogs for that seem self explanatory, do you mean that somehow that does not work for your 3G modem or BSNL?

Since you have the options file working in the 0421 update to lupu, I assume you are requesting a file for use with other puppies. Keep in mind, though, that you need to be running the 1.1.7 version of usb_modeswitch and the 20110227 data file. Those are already in wary 5.1.2, but probably not in anything older than that.

Please let me know how it works in wary, or wherever you put it. Thanks.
Richard

EDIT: This fix may not be necessary. Please report if you notice any difference in connection speed or other behavior. /EDIT
Attachments
BSNL_wvdial_options-1.pet
pupdial fix for users of BSNL access provider.
(467 Bytes) Downloaded 392 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

sjsrikanth

#47 Post by sjsrikanth »

Thank you rerwin for the .pet. Yet to test it.

In my previous post what I really meant was pupdial does not connect to internet if the BSNL dialer provided by the isp is not running in the backgroung.
(The red led light indicator in the datacard does not turn green if I use pupdial alone, but it works when the bsnl dialer runs in the background)

rerwin

BSNL support

#48 Post by rerwin »

sjsrikanth,
Thanks for the clarification. I have examined, again, the BSNL package and conclude that most of its action is done in executables for which (I assume) no source code is available. I installed it in my lupu installation and it looks quite nice. Does it actually work in lupu?

Because the BSNL package will not run in wary or 4.3.1, I still would like to try fixing pupdial to connect successfully to BSNL -- if we can figure out how to do it. On a second track, we could try to make the BSNL package work in at least the ubuntu-based puppies -- if it does not work already. But first, to pupdial and its friends.

I would like to determine the differences in the setup files between a run with only pupdial running and a run with BSNL started before running pupdial. But do not do anything with the BSNL GUI (as I understand you to mean when it "runs in the background"). I have added a modified pmodemdiag script to the attached dotpet to capture all of the files that could be involved. Please install it. Run pmodemdiag in both runs, after going as far as you can but before disconnecting.
EDIT: I have removed the dotpet, because this test is no longer relevant. To try a solution, see the BSNL experimental package below. /EDIT

In case you are concerned about pmodemdiag grabbing your login ID and password, pmodemdiag does not save them in the diag tarball. Note that you will need to rename one or both of the pmodemdiag...tar.gz files so that the second use of it will not complain about the file already existing.

Now that I have had a vacation from puppy, I am ready to focus on BSNL, as far as we can go with it. Thanks for your continuing interest.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Sat 18 Jun 2011, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.

sjsrikanth

#49 Post by sjsrikanth »

Thanx rerwin, will get back soon with the diagnostics. (sorry for the delays in reply, My Pre P.hd exams to be blamed!!!)

rameshiyer

3G Modem

#50 Post by rameshiyer »

I have used 3G Modem ( Huawei make) in Puppy Linux. It is working properly. No problem. The connection is from BSNL. Some time some signal problem and slow speed etc. Otherwise, no problem at all. I have connected both GPRS (PGPRS setup) as well as Dial up in Puppy/warry Linux.

rerwin

Re: 3G Modem and BSNL

#51 Post by rerwin »

rameshiyer,
Thank you for posting your success with BSNL. That is very useful, to me. It tells me that the special wvdial_options file for APN bsnlnet is not necessary, since it has never been in wary. I trust that your Huawei modem uses the driver, option. I believe that sjsrikanth's modem needs driver cdc-acm; that may be related to the behavior of that modem.

sjsrikanth,
Definitely, the exams are most important. Maybe you can skip the above request for test runs, as I now suspect a driver issue. My suspicion is that simply installing the BSNL package, even without running it, might make the modem work. The package includes rules that seem to perform the mode switching and loading of the correct (cdc-acm) driver. Without the package, the usb_modeswitch function would try to use the "option" driver (ttyUSB*) instead of the one associated with ttyACM*. I will attach another experimental package to try shortly, after a break.
Richard

sjsrikanth

#52 Post by sjsrikanth »

@rerwin even I had that suspicion. Even in ubuntu gnome network manager was not able to connect without the bsnl dialer installed.(but doesnt need running in the background) ( my modem is Terracom 270)

rerwin

#53 Post by rerwin »

sjsrikanth,
(but doesnt need running in the background)
That is very good for me to know! I do not have to include the BSNL GUI in my experiment. So, here is the package.

The package contains rules and data files for 3 variants of the Teracom cdc-acm-type modems. It also has a wvdial_options file for bsnlnet that is renamed so it will not be used initially. Here is what I need you to try:

1. Start with a fresh pupsave setup. With the modem unplugged, boot lupu525 with pfix=ram or pupsave 0 (depending on whether you already have at least 2 pupsaves already). Immediately after updating the personal settings, reboot to create a new pupsave file.

2. After the reboot, install the "modem-modprobe" package (modem-modprobe_fix_pack_to_43x-lupu5x-20110421, available at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 074#431074), answering "No" to the "remaster" question, and then install the attached BSNL-teracom_experiment-1.pet package. Then shut down, plug in the modem and reboot.

3. Start up pupdial (connect, etc., or via the menu) and set it up to connect, then try connecting. Before disconnecting, run in a console, the command: pmodemdiag. Then you can disconnect.

Please PM me the pmodemdiag file it creates, so I can see the details of how it went.

You can then also try adding the APN-bsnlnet file -- by renaming /etc/wvdial_options/APN-bsnlnet.bak, to remove the ending ".bak", and restarting pupdial, etc. If the first attempt did not connect, maybe the file will help. If the connect succeeded, the file might speed up the modem, referring to rameshiyer's comment about slow response.

Take your time in getting to this, because of the exams. Let's hope it "just works". Thanks for your help.
Richard
Attachments
BSNL-teracom_experiment-1.pet
BSNL usb_modeswitch implementation
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

sjsrikanth

#54 Post by sjsrikanth »

Sorry for the Delay Rerwin

But the bsnl experiment pet did not do the magic now with or without the apn file.
I'm attaching the pmodemdiag file.

Right now Im using this script which recognizes the modem, opens the bsnl dialer and pupdial . Then connects!!

#! /bin/sh
usb_modeswitch -v 230d -p 0001 -u 3
sleep 5
/usr/sbin/pupdial & /usr/lib/BSNL/BSNL && fg

Guess this is the easiest way.