Program to communicate with serial port worked, then quit

Using applications, configuring, problems
Quasar

Program to communicate with serial port worked, then quit

#1 Post by Quasar »

I'm trying to run a program on Puppy 1.0.5 to connect it to an external board. In this program, I use the serial port for Input/Output. I wrote the program on Mandriva Linux 2005 LE and after compiling it, I moved the binary file to Puppy. A couple of days ago the program ran just fine and everything was good, then all of a sudden, I can't receive anything from the external board. I tried to connect the board to another PC and it worked so the problem isn't there. And I tried using other ports available on the Puppy PC but they didn't work. I'm sure of the connection and the programs on both Puppy and the external board. Can anyone tell me what could be the source of this problem please?

jmarsden

Re: Serial Port Issue

#2 Post by jmarsden »

Quasar wrote:I'm trying to run a program on Puppy 1.0.5 to connect it to an external board. In this program, I use the serial port for Input/Output. I wrote the program on Mandriva Linux 2005 LE and after compiling it, I moved the binary file to Puppy. A couple of days ago the program ran just fine and everything was good, then all of a sudden, I can't receive anything from the external board. I tried to connect the board to another PC and it worked so the problem isn't there. And I tried using other ports available on the Puppy PC but they didn't work. I'm sure of the connection and the programs on both Puppy and the external board. Can anyone tell me what could be the source of this problem please?
Can you talk to the "board" using a normal terminal application such as picocom? What happens when you try? Without either the source code for your application or info on what happens using an app that is a part of Puppy (such as picocom), it is going to be very difficult for anyone to help you further, I suspect.

Jonathan

Quasar

#3 Post by Quasar »

Sorry but I forgot to mention that. What I think is that for some reason I can't receive anything through the serial port but the transmission goes ok. I tried transmitting data from puppy and receiving it on Mandriva and I was able to receive it. I tried picocom and connected the transmit pin to the reeive pin but received nothing, even though I connect an oscilloscope to both pins and saw that there was something breing sent on the line...

jmarsden

#4 Post by jmarsden »

Quasar wrote:Sorry but I forgot to mention that. What I think is that for some reason I can't receive anything through the serial port but the transmission goes ok.
That sounds like the RS232 buffer chip died? In the old days you could go buy a litle 8pin DIP chip called a 1489 and replace it on the serial board. See http://www.beyondlogic.org/serial/serial1.htm#41 if you are into PC hardware nostalgia! These days your serial port is part of a complex ASIC on the motherboard, most likely, so fixing this sort of hardware issue (if it really is a hardware issue) can mean a motherboard replacement.

If you boot the PC into some other OS, even Windows, can you use the serial port then? Maybe to talk to an external serial modem or some simple serial device you know works? If that is also no longer working, the "hardware problem" diagnosis would be confirmed.

Jonathan