Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 06:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to create user accounts in Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
brad

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 06:59    Post subject:  How to create user accounts in Puppy?  

Just opened up a terminal and typed in 'whoami' and discovered i was logged in as root. Is this safe? Shall have to create a new user and hope this will be alright.
trapster

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 07:01    Post subject:  

Why do you need a new user?
Don't trust yourself as root?

root is normal in puppy.

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Puppeee4.31 + 1.0, Puppy4.10 + Lupu52
Currently using Slacko AND lupu52 w/ fluxbox
brad

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 07:22    Post subject:  

Hi trapster,

Its not that i don't trust myself as root lol, its just that i was always led to believe that it was best to log out of root immediately after you had finished any administrative tasks.

I admit being a very new Puppy on the block and still checking out my where abouts.

But i would still like the opportunity of using Puppy Linux as a user and not as root.

I did open a terminal and typed 'adduser' and got output of
bash: adduser: command not found

So could you or someone else tell me how i go about adding a user please.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 09:03    Post subject:  

The "root" debate has been going on for years. Most Puppy users are fine with running as root, at least until someone demonstrates that it's really a bad idea. Despite all the naysayers, that hasn't happened yet. In fact, running as a user doesn't guarantee that someone can't take over your computer.

Puppy was designed to run from a live CD. Installing Puppy onto a hard disk was an afterthought. It seems unnecessary for someone running an OS from a live CD to limit his control by running as a user.

It is possible to create user accounts in Puppy. I don't know anything more about it than that. Have you looked through the Howto section of the forum? Limit your search to posts by Pizzasgood, I think he made several posts telling people how.
nooby

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 09:22    Post subject:  

Yes Pizzagood did make such a puppy but on older version. Maybe puppy421 or similar?

Link here

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47409
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47410
Both these tell you how it works in puppy and what is needed to give it multi user

But Pizzasgood also helped with a brand new one so you should be able to find it using this search. But I fail to find it now.

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

use search words like

Pizzasgood create user account

or similar

There is both pro et con being non-root.

Bruce explains here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=427727#427727

read that whole thread from start. Smile

Maybe if several people use a computer then it is better that each have their own log in user and can have totally different background to screen and preferred browsers and so on.

One way to work around that one wound be to create many versions of frugal install with name of user so you reboot into the next users premade puppy and that way keep them apart.

Puppy wolf can allow that by having a password for being root.

So if you make several puppy wolfe and have different passwords then all in the family can have their own set ups and have no way of getting access to the others?

http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/2010/11/mywolfe-021-is-ready-for-download.html

Unless they go into pupsave and snoop? But that maybe can be dealt with using permissions to such files directories that can only be open by owner? You have to test yoru way through it.

I don't know if wolfe is safer to use but you can at least prevent physical access to a particular puppy wolfe due to needing a password to get access to it?

But you will be root when you have logged in. So continue to look for other solutions???

Or accept to be root. As far as I know Flash here above has solved the security issue by only using CD/DVD approach and saving pupsave on a Flash instead of HDD?
So if that is a concern ask him more about his approach.

One limited user thing is "spot" that can be used that way but is a bit different maybe? Look for that one too.

Last edited by nooby on Sun 28 Nov 2010, 09:49; edited 1 time in total
brad

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 09:46    Post subject:  

Thanks for all the feed back everyone but after paying Shieldsup a visit i think i'll leave things as they are. Would appreciate any input regarding setting up Puppy though.

Does anyone use Skype? Would be a great way of making friends and helping Puppy Linux newbies get up and running with this great OS.
tlchost

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 12:29    Post subject:  

brad wrote:

Does anyone use Skype? Would be a great way of making friends and helping Puppy Linux newbies get up and running with this great OS.

There are many newbies who use the chat icon in Puupy to reach the IRC channel, #puppylinux at irc.freenode.net Of course it helps to have read any documentation before posting a question.

Thom
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 12:58    Post subject:  

Here's how to install Skype in any Puppy. Probably this will work in any Linux distribution.
brad

PostPosted: Sun 28 Nov 2010, 13:17    Post subject:  

I already have Skype up and running but on another PC which uses a different Linux distro. Think i will have a look at the IRC channel though as i just might pick up a few tips and get me better acquainted with Puppy Linux.
Thanks for the replies both.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: