Vbox would make Puppy safer to use? (solved)

For discussions about security.
nooby

#16 Post by nooby »

Thnaks Pizzasgood.

I also asked about which very new puppy that you helped to get "user accounts".

Could it have been Puppy Studio or MyWolfe? or some third one?

Sadly I have no CD/DVD to my Acer D250 so it has to be an USB then.

I guess that makes it less safe. But one can set it to non writeable?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Pizzasgood

#17 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yeah, I forgot that you'd said you don't have CD support. So in that case, a virtual Puppy offers a real advantage over just using pfix=ram, unless you have a USB drive that lets you set it to read-only.

I'm sure such a thing exists, but none of the ones that I've owned have a switch to make them read-only.

On the other hand, unless you're worried that somebody will specifically target you, the odds of them reaching out onto the drive and modifying your frugal Puppy install are pretty small. But yeah, if you have reason to be that paranoid, you'd want to go with a virtual Puppy.

But I don't think there's much point in using pfix=ram mode in conjunction with a virtual Puppy unless you are very paranoid. Somebody who manages to break out of the virtual Puppy is probably going to be smart enough to be able to deal with a pfix=ram Puppy that isn't read-only, unless it's just some kind of automated attack.

Regarding user accounts, I don't remember. I do know that the most I've done since at least May or so is answer a few questions. Sorry I can't be more help.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

thanks I have to read through all this and try to understand it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though