How to clear Personal Storage?

Booting, installing, newbie
Rewl

How to clear Personal Storage?

#1 Post by Rewl »

Hey guys, this is my second day with puppy and I dont know why it says i have 504m of personal storage when my hard drive is 30gigs.
But, it says that I only have 17m's of personal storage, is there any way to free up the storage and go bak to green

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

I'm no Puppy expert, but here goes:

1. Are you running Puppy from a live optical disk?

2. Did you make a pupsave file?
What size did you choose to make it?
That is your "personal storage".
Did you make it rather small?

(a) If you haven't made a pupsave file [or a Linux swap file or partition]...
Then your personal storage is your RAM only.
[Remember that under such circumstances, Puppy runs in RAM...if it can load all the necessary into it that is]

(b) If you then begin to do stuff that increases the usage of space in RAM [installing packages?]...
Then your RAM begins to fill and run out of space.

4. I hope experienced Puppians will correct any of my errors in knowledge/ideas/belief.

Rewl

#3 Post by Rewl »

i do not have save file. And I'm running it from HD(but it wont start up with out CD?) and I just botted a frugal on my flash drive. How do I make a save file so I can enjoy 30gb's of stuff :s

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

1. Oh dear, looks like you need a Puppy expert, so I hope one happens along soon.

2. "i do not have save file. And I'm running it from HD(but it wont start up with out CD?)"
Ouch, that doesn't sound good.
Was that a full install with GRUB installed to the MBR?
Are you attempting a dual boot?
With Windows?
You musn't mess this up by deleting the contents of the MBR and/or deleting the contents of the partition where the GRUB menu file is held.
Wait for "someone who knows" to come along.

3. "I just booted a frugal on my flash drive"
Did it work OK?
I'm not even sure exactly of what a frugal install consists.
I'd guess it's all of the Puppy files [plus a pupsave file], and using some means [a BIOS capable of booting USB?] to load the Puppy.
I'd expect that during the 1st shut-down of the frugal, you should have been offered the opportunity to make a pupsave file.
Did you make one?

4. "How do I make a save file so I can enjoy 30gb's of stuff"
(a) I normally make a 1GB pupsave on a 1.3GB partition on a Flash Drive.
Actually I have an 8GB Flash Drive with 6-off 1.3GB ext3 partitions, each holding the different pupsave+SFS filepairs for 6 different Puppies.

(b) I think the maximum size of pupsave known to work is a few GB's [2,3,4?]
You don't need anything like 30GB of pupsave [500MB might be enough] because the thing to do, is save your data files off the Linux filesystem that's been made inside the pupsave by the Puppy.
Save them anywhere else that's convenient.

(c) Normally what I do is:
Boot the live Puppy CD for the 1st time...
Copy the SFS file from the Puppy CD to the partition [on a Flash Drive?] where I intend to make the pupsave file.
At 1st reboot/shut-down, make a pupsave beside the SFS file in the partition on the Flash Drive.
At reboot of the CD, provided the Flash Drive is connected, the pupsave+SFS filepair will both be found and used.

Rewl

#5 Post by Rewl »

Everything works fine except for my wireless now, I did a full HD install correctly, just need to get the wireless working :/

Rewl

#6 Post by Rewl »

Everything works fine except for my wireless now, I did a full HD install correctly, just need to get the wireless working :/

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Look in the beginners help section of the forum.
Wireless problems are listed there. One of them is probably the same as your problem.
Also look in the howto section.

beekster

personal storage

#8 Post by beekster »

I too am a complete noob in puppy. The same situation has occurred for me, 17M free out of 504M personal storage. I think my puppy has become bloated with quite a number of things that don't work or I don't need. Some things work, and some things don't, and I have a lot to learn. Can I increase the personal storage? Is it possible to get rid of the pup-save file and start afresh? What's a good approach?

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Welcome Beekster! I'd say it's your browsers cache.. Firefox? Seamonkey?

Open ROX (file manager) and clk the eye up top..

Check mozilla and cache (if Chrome based).

beekster

#10 Post by beekster »

Thanks for your quick reply! I did go to package manager and un-installed firefox and chromium, and re- booted. I certainly don't need three web browsers. That cleared around 80M apparently. I'll give your suggestion a try and see what I can find.

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

Hold on now.. two browsers ain't bad- for when certain websites don't render properly.

The key is management. This comes with understanding..

Check those folders I mentioned because the ones in /root >> PPM won't remove.

beekster

#12 Post by beekster »

Okay, that makes sense. I did what you said and cleared the cache, and I now have 142M of free space. :) If for some reason I need some functionality that Seamonkey doesn't have, I can re install Firefox. I'll try not to behave too rashly! :lol:

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

So is SM your main ride or you've got Opera too? SM and FF are both Mozilla based..

beekster

#14 Post by beekster »

Right now I'm using SM. Here's the thing, I've downloaded and installed Audacious and associated files, so I can play audio CDs. It appears in my menu, but I can't get it to work. The desktop "play" icon is non functional. Perhaps this is a subject for another thread, but it's the thing that's frustrating me now. What to do?

Semme

#15 Post by Semme »

If you load an audio cd, Pmusic should fire when you clk the associated drive on your desktop.

It might be easier to rip'm down as mp3's using Asunder than having Audacious installed.

beekster

#16 Post by beekster »

Funny, the CD/DVD drive icon isn't there. It was earlier.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

Open Pmusic >> file >> play cd audio.. We have ignition? If not, try pCD..

OscarTalks

#18 Post by OscarTalks »

beekster,

What Puppy is this? There's a bug in some of the recent ones, the CD drive icon doesn't appear if you load an audio CD.

01micko posted a .pet which fixes it in a thread somewhere but not sure where (I have a copy stored locally) and not sure if this is your problem.

EDIT:- see this thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 757#679757
Oscar in England

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Ya hear this Beekster? :D Ya should've told me a long time ago which Pup you're run'n..

beekster

#20 Post by beekster »

Oh yeah,

Sorry about that! It's Wary Puppy :D